joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the soundings consistently working out warmer than what had been modeled on the NAM and, to a lesser extent GFS, my guess is that the SREF mean very likely will not verify for NYC unless the 15z SREF and 18z/0z guidance does better in that area.

Don , have you ever seen a Norlun to the magnitude that the NAM  shows , area wide verify in New England . The NAM pretty much shreds most of NY STATE , CT an SNE on into CNJ .

I was always under the impression they are intense but localized .

Don , have you ever seen a Norlun to the magnitude that the NAM  shows , area wide verify in New England . The NAM pretty much shreds most of NY STATE , CT an SNE on into CNJ .

I was always under the impression they are intense but localized .

It appears suspiciously large on the NAM. That's been the case for the last two runs. The 0z guidance and early guidance tomorrow will be interesting. By then, the model should be getting a better handle on the situation. It would be nice to salvage something ahead of what looks to be a mild weekend.

What is the range of  liquid QPF from the model's least to maximum for JFK from now until storm's end?

GFS is the driest at roughly .6" or so, NAM gets over 2", EURO is probably around .85", RGEM the same, GGEM more, SREF's 1"+, assorted meso's all 1"+

-skisheep

The other concern is that temps aren't even starting to budge yet. Still in the 39 to 42 range mostly. Some places in central jersey have climbed a few degrees in the past hour

Perhaps a bigger concern is that a Norlun is 4 cast based on a more northern projection of the SLP. well, Id LOVE to know how now withat SLP clearly diving south and east how that Norlun will materialize up here. In short, if you change the numerical equation radically, as here, how exactly do we, rationally, expect the previous result?

Not sure what the major concern is, it seems on track for a general 1-3" outside the heat island tonight, which is what the models have been calling for. Even the GFS had probably around .35" tonight, very similar to the EURO. These bands off LI are supposed to move north a bit, and while it may be a bit south of modeled, it's not so huge that it should be a problem. Upton went 1-3" tonight area wide at 430, and no new data has come in since then to make me worry that that's not on track. some precip starting to make it into NYC, radar looks OK.

-skisheep

Not sure what the major concern is, it seems on track for a general 1-3" outside the heat island tonight, which is what the models have been calling for. Even the GFS had probably around .35" tonight, very similar to the EURO. These bands off LI are supposed to move north a bit, and while it may be a bit south of modeled, it's not so huge that it should be a problem. Upton went 1-3" tonight area wide at 430, and no new data has come in since then to make me worry that that's not on track. some precip starting to make it into NYC, radar looks OK.

-skisheep

But temps are very warm. It will be very difficult for any snow to stick.

Archived