• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

The consistency of the NAM and SREF data is creating a significant headache for short term forecasters as we begin to transition towards a period where mesoscale modeling tends to be more accurate. That being said, the ECMWF and GFS both have relative lighter events (despite the ECMWF bringing nearly 6" of snow to the NYC area). It remains to be seen how the storm will behave exactly but some form of significant impact --including snow, wind, rain and potentially coastal flooding -- seems likely in what could be the last "cold" storm of the season heading into March.

We'll use this new topic for the 00z model guidance suite tonight and then open up an OBS Thread tomorrow morning. Wish you all luck with whatever you're hoping for from this system.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put it this way...

2 days ago we were reaching to get into the 0.25" total QPF range and many gave up all hope, and the divergence now is between 0.75-1.25" or so on most models for most of the area and mostly snow.

I would be very happy with 6" to get me to normal on the season.

Looking at how complicated the storm/set-up is and all the small things that are creating major sensible differences in models this close will surely create both bad surprises and good surprises from VA to BOS. Should be a very interesting day tomorrow and Thursday seeing how everything plays out.

earthlight...the rgem being a short range mesoscale model, it seems like a solid compromise between the nam/sref and euro. I would go with a solution like that both because I like the outcome (kidding), but more importantly because it really is a solid middle ground at the moment.

Fwiw Lonnie Quinn on Channel in NYC is going with 6-12 inches for the area. Tonight's model runs will be crucial. The fact that the NAM has been consistent for several days now leads me to believe if may be on to something. Good luck everybody...

After a high of 50 down to 39 in colts neck. I love playing this game 12 to 18 hrs out.

Would love to get a cloud deck around sunrise and top out in the upper 30s , so I don't have to cascade off a cliff tomorrow pm to snow.

this should be in the other thread,but just to clear it up since you guys are talking about it in here

Lonnie Quinn's forecast

"When all is said and done, New York City can expect about 3-6 inches of snow, while areas west, including parts of Westchester and Rockland counties, could see 6-12 inches of accumulation"

Fwiw Lonnie Quinn on Channel in NYC is going with 6-12 inches for the area. Tonight's model runs will be crucial. The fact that the NAM has been consistent for several days now leads me to believe if may be on to something. Good luck everybody...

I saw that posted about four hours ago, it's possible they have issued a revised map.

See above more recently.

this should be in the other thread,but just to clear it up since you guys are talking about it in here

Lonnie Quinn's forecast

"When all is said and done, New York City can expect about 3-6 inches of snow, while areas west, including parts of Westchester and Rockland counties, could see 6-12 inches of accumulation"

Fair enough.

More Importantly what did Lee Golberg say on CH7 ? He is and their Forecast is EASILY the best on the local Channels IMO. I missed all the news as I just got home.

4-6 and 2-4 east end of LI with chance of more

picture was posted..

and TWC was 5-8 NE NJ/ NYC and 8-12 uhh about into Morris county and NW NJ

Wow, very bearish by all of them for NYC. Even the 18z GFS shows more for NYC than each of those maps. Can't say I'm surprised though.

If Upton doesn't put out Winter Storm Warnings, the networks won't deviate from Upton much even with any reliance NBC may have with the Weather Channel and ABC has with Accuweather.

Archived