joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look like it to me. If it was convective feedback you would notice a massive blob of QPF over the open Atlantic pulling east and therefore pulling the best dynamics with it. That's what the GFS had-this run doesn't really.

I am just looking at the placement of the L on the NCEP graphics.  It seems obviously wrong to me. It jumps 300 miles in three hours from 18 to 21.  I just don't know what mechanism drives the putting of that L on the screen thats all.

I am just looking at the placement of the L on the NCEP graphics.  It seems obviously wrong to me. It jumps 300 miles in three hours from 18 to 21.  I just don't know what mechanism drives the putting of that L on the screen thats all.

it doesn't really jump that much its just that the pressure has a large field

I think one thing that we can take out of this is that the marginal thermal profiles are gone for most interests so we can start talking about 75-80% of these QPF values falling as frozen precipitation. This should be exciting for most people nearer to the coast.

Obviously we still have a big hill to climb with the most reliable global QPF model in the Euro and its ensembles showing jack sh*t.

Now lets hope the globals shift slightly north and this become our compromise. And who knows maybe 0z gfs will finally stop having convective feedback issues

I'm honestly not worried much about the GFS-it seems to keep having this problem and it might continue to. I'm more interested in what other models such as the RGEM have to say.

I am just looking at the placement of the L on the NCEP graphics.

Not smart. The high resolution models produce areas of lower pressure because of mesoscale features and the algorithm will pop and L on it.

This happens all the time with the ARW and NMM who have 6 "L"s or areas of lower pressure relative to their surroundings coming up the coast.

I think one thing that we can take out of this is that the marginal thermal profiles are gone for most interests so we can start talking about 75-80% of these QPF values falling as frozen precipitation. This should be exciting for most people nearer to the coast.

Obviously we still have a big hill to climb with the most reliable global QPF model in the Euro and its ensembles showing jack sh*t.

Would you give the nam more wright than usually due the to dynamics of the storm, along with the fact most of the high res models are showing similar solutions?

Archived