wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, just remember, 12 hours before the recent blizzard the NAM had Northern New Jersey getting 25-40 inches of snow.  The end result was 4-16 inches.  Expect the same results here.  Showing 10-20, expect 2-6 over the next 3 days. The NAM has serious issues, and as far as the high resolution NAM goes, honestly, forget about it.  Until any global model shows anything even remotely like this, it is pure model fantasy by the NAM.

For who? Certainly not NW areas.

The 850 0c line is sitting over scranton on that map. The norlun does bring some snow, but it quickly changes to rain after about 3 hours as the low closes off and the access to cold air ends.

I'd hesitate to call it all or mostly snow in NYC. There's a lot of easterly flow and the low-level temps aren't very good. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of coastal areas stay rain for much longer than what we'd find comfortable. Keep in mind even though the last NAM printed out 1-1.25" QPF, NYC only had about 6-8" on the clown maps.

Clown maps generally are really not to be used verbatim, they're cool to look at and all, but they're based on algorithms that aren't perfect I'm sure...

And idk where you're getting this easterly wind thing... At what level? At hour 18 winds look to be out of the NE at 10m and then continue to back as the frames advance

Guys, just remember, 12 hours before the recent blizzard the NAM had Northern New Jersey getting 25-40 inches of snow.  The end result was 4-16 inches.  Expect the same results here.  Showing 10-20, expect 2-6 over the next 3 days. The NAM has serious issues, and as far as the high resolution NAM goes, honestly, forget about it.

It was not 12 hours before...NAM had corrected by then. And NCEP said there were initialization issues with that run that showed the insane QPF bomb over NJ. 

In any case NAM has been very consistent since yesterday, and is in general agreement with the SREFs

Guys, just remember, 12 hours before the recent blizzard the NAM had Northern New Jersey getting 25-40 inches of snow.  The end result was 4-16 inches.  Expect the same results here.  Showing 10-20, expect 2-6 over the next 3 days. The NAM has serious issues, and as far as the high resolution NAM goes, honestly, forget about it.  Until any global model shows anything even remotely like this, it is pure model fantasy by the NAM.

NO that was 24 hrs before the event the Next Morning as storm was getting started it moved all those jackpot numbers to Upstate NY and Conn which turned out correct. If this were to do same it would change by 9 am tomorrow.

NO that was 24 hrs before the event the Next Morning as storm was getting started it moved all those jackpot numbers to Upstate NY and Conn which turned out correct. If this were to do same it would change by 9 am tomorrow.

That run was the 0z run, it started snowing by 7am the next day, that is 10 hours later.  The NAM has serious issues.  It will change.

I'd hesitate to call it all or mostly snow in NYC. There's a lot of easterly flow and the low-level temps aren't very good. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of coastal areas stay rain for much longer than what we'd find comfortable. Keep in mind even though the last NAM printed out 1-1.25" QPF, NYC only had about 6-8" on the clown maps.

As far as the initial slug of precipitation goes, with the cold conveyor belt developing on the NAM, I couldn't disagree with you more. This run isn't really even close to providing precipiation problems for most people aside from those sitting on the beach. The 925 hPa low is closed off well offshore and there is cold air funneling down with strong northeast winds. I don't foresee any problems once moderate precipitation begins. Sure it could start as drizzle or rain, but its going to be mostly snow.

Also, not sure what "only" 6-8" means...the 18z NAM clown maps had closer to 10" for NYC and given 1" of QPF in March that makes a ton of sense.

And next we're gonna get a crappy run from the gfs and everyone's gonna complain that it sucks or something's wrong with it right?

And next we're gonna get a crappy run from the gfs and everyone's gonna complain that it sucks or something's wrong with it right?

You figure the GFS at least will be drier, more likely than not it will be both SE and drier.

Archived