Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EURO will sort out this mess in 2 hours. 

the euro had around .75 if i'm not mistaken. if that's the case, we can pretty much say with a good deal of certainty that we're getting QPF close to an inch IMO. then, it's just a question of now-casting with a storm like this. 

The major differences are with that last piece of northern stream energy dropping in. It's more of a kicker on the GFS and helps to tug it closer to the coast on the NAM.

The new GFS doesn't even have the norlun trough which just about every other model shows.

I was going to post that which is why I think the Euro will come closer to the Nam later than the GFS cause at least they were similar with the Norlun. Also the GFS was on the Same page as Nam this time last night but somehow today it completely reversed and went the opposite way while the Nam held strong. That is the Reason along with Nam being made for the short range and being hi res which is why I am leaning toward Nam over the GFS as of right now not cause it shows more precip.

That's not half bad actually. Would be really interested to see what hour 30 would have looked like. Either way, it confirms that the GFS is an extreme se outlier right now at least.

I think the GFS can just about be disregarded here to be honest. It seems to actually be doubling down on its random QPF blob over the open ocean, and you can clearly see our main precip batch diminish as it kicks up, and it pulls the whole system east/out. I guess it could pull a rabbit out of the hat once, but I don't see that happening here.

I remember how the GFS and UKMET insisted on sending Boxing Day out to sea the morning of. The frustrating thing is that the GFS had been so consistent.

Gfs did catch back on first though after all the models lost it 2 days before

For the NYC area east it's 10-15mm snow. That's 0.4-0.6

what model is 15-20mm of qpf is snow? I hope you arent referring to the RGEM..cuz its clearly 7.5-10 for NYC west and 10-15 NYC east

BUT, there might be more precip after hr48

I just had to delete nearly an entire page of posts, and I'm usually not that strict of a moderator. The bickering and awful tone seriously needs to stop. 

Yep, I've been deleting like mad too. 

Keep in mind we're in storm mode, guys.  Take the model performance debate to the banter thread.

I remember how the GFS and UKMET insisted on sending Boxing Day out to sea the morning of. The frustrating thing is that the GFS had been so consistent.

No it was a hit all day yesterday and barely anything all day today.

what model is 15-20mm of qpf is snow? I hope you arent referring to the RGEM..cuz its clearly 7.5-10 for NYC west and 10-15 NYC east

BUT, there might be more precip after hr48

I edited my post before...it was the lighter shade of yellow that was 15-20 that I mistook as being over LI.

That is about 0.3 in as snow. Max 10:1 ratios means max 2-3" inches. How in the world is the rgem a solid hit for us ?

It's about 6 plus inches of snow. An inch of liq is 25 mm .15 to .20 isn't 2 to 3 inches my man

Archived