Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh...the Euro still looks like the GFS at the surface with the secondary precip max hundreds of miles offshore. Very ugly so far.

I trust the HiRes short range models at this point and I have followed this thinking all day. Its not just one either, all the HiRes short range models are showing significant, heavy precip. To all my friends and colleques who have asked me I'm going with a wind driven heavy snowy tomorrow night. Just my two cents.

Slightly wetter than 12z through 48...the CCB misses offshore by a few miles. Clips eastern Long Island and the NJ Shore.

We can all head to the shore and wave to it as it passes by.

Sounds closer than the GFS.  Perhaps some wiggle room for 25 - 50 miles.  Curious if it rotates precip back on easterly fetch thu (pm)

I trust the HiRes short range models at this point and I have followed this thinking all day. Its not just one either, all the HiRes short range models are showing significant, heavy precip. To all my friends and colleques who have asked me I'm going with a wind driven heavy snowy tomorrow night. Just my two cents.

The high resolution models can really crap the bed in these storm systems so be forewarned. The Euro is far superior to the NCEP model guidance and I would lean towards trusting it especially in the short term.

I weighted the Euro over the NCEP models in my forecast but also kept the NCEP models weighted there a bit (didn't completely toss them) to account for their consistency.

One of the tougher forecasts in recent memory.

Hour 42 it waves goodbye, no norlun trough either, at least not yet. It's only about 0.25-0.50" for everyone and the surface is very warm for everyone. I guess this in the GFS camp and it's possible that this could end up being the end result, but I can't help but wonder why that secondary QPF max keeps showing up on only those two models.

The high resolution models can really crap the bed in these storm systems so be forewarned. The Euro is far superior to the NCEP model guidance and I would lean towards trusting it especially in the short term.

I weighted the Euro over the NCEP models in my forecast but also kept the NCEP models weighted there a bit (didn't completely toss them) to account for their consistency.

One of the tougher forecasts in recent memory.

Thank you for the insight

Archived