joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very slight trend towards de-amplication in the height field aloft on the NAM compared to the 18z run through just 6 hours. The interaction between the arm of energy to the north over New England remains crucial and there are no terribly noticeable changes there yet.

I'm starting to become convinced that the differences in the models wit the development of the CCB and track of the mesoscale surface low are almost 100% sourced back to convection and the difficulties that the GFS/UK/GGEM are having are multiplying post 6-12 hours when they first start.  I can't say I am very confident in the NAM to be the one to best handle the dynamic release that is occurring in this situation, but if it holds close to its 18z solution I might be inclined to blend more of a NAM/RGEM piece into a forecast package than I typically would.

The NAM is slightly farther south and less impressive with the best forcing as it moves northward through 15 hours.  It might be trending towards a compromise between the global models, which slide the 500 hPa vort to the southeast around this time frame as opposed to its earlier runs which did not.

The NAM is slightly farther south and less impressive with the best forcing as it moves northward through 15 hours.  It might be trending towards a compromise between the global models, which slide the 500 hPa vort to the southeast around this time frame as opposed to its earlier runs which did not.

Could it be that the NAM is just a little bit slower overall?

This very slight deamplification trend early on opens the door for the 500 hPa shortwave and closed low to slip every so slightly southeast as it heads off the coast. The vertical velocities and best RH fields are responding. I would venture to guess this run will end up southeast of the 18z run by a slight to  noticeable amount.

This very slight deamplification trend early on opens the door for the 500 hPa shortwave and closed low to slip every so slightly southeast as it heads off the coast. The vertical velocities and best RH fields are responding. I would venture to guess this run will end up southeast of the 18z run by a slight to  noticeable amount.

Definitely noticeable.  Especially for folks NW...

right on and its noticeable....and the QPF shield is less impressive than 18Z

A definite slight towards the global models handling of the 500 hPa upper level low and vorticity. You can see the surface and dynamics responding as the  NAM catches on to it.

But it still tries to back the CCB into NYC between 27 and 30 hours. Looks close to the RGEM from 18z.

Archived