• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

It's going to be really tough to generate much, particularly just inland-it looks like the main shield may have enough north movement to scrape through Long Island. We'll see. All around, a big disappointment at least with the first part with the main low.

I don't know, a brick wall of precip looks to be aimed at us. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to begin soon, those echos SE of Montauk are going to encompass ALL of LI, NYC, e NJ and Westchester,. The western most fringe seems to be over the NJ/PA border having moved east during the past few hours but this might stop right there. But give it by 10PM, we'll all be seeing WHITE. I think we are all going to be happpy soon.

One thing I will say, the wind has been very impressive the past few hours. Several gusts around 40 mph

yes...walking home from the train i noted how damn windy it was....there was very little precip falling but it was impossible to tell what

No, the echoes are clearly moving northwest.

They've been clearly moving northwest all day :arrowhead:

I will say though, it's finally snowing, albeit just a little bit, but the last 12 hours have been a cocktease. It isn't so much of a northwest movement, as it has been a slow formation of the inverted trough we've been waiting for on the tail-end of this shortwave. Precip is filling in where subsidence has ruled all day.

The new 00z RAP shows precip spreading NW into NYC/NJ for literally about 3 hours and then pulling back out. Not sure if it will accumulate then....doubt more than a coating

by looking at the current radar you can see this

The new 00z RAP shows precip spreading NW into NYC/NJ for literally about 3 hours and then pulling back out. Not sure if it will accumulate then....doubt more than a coating

There probably won't be much accumulation if it's just a quick shot that heads out. It needs to come down decently for a while to really accumulate and be all snow I think. Coating/dusting sounds right. :axe:

by looking at the current radar you can see this

:lol: you can see that the returns are only going to be over us for 3 hours? Thats impressive.

Yep ! U pretty much can. The brunt of the precip is offshore. The band that is pushing NW is not the main area of precip and will shut down/pull away as the main area of precip and the low pulls away...unfortunately

The differences in the precipitation distribution between the 18z NAM at hour 12 and the 00z NAM at hour 6 are up there in the top 5 hilariously bad model performances I've ever seen for multiple reasons.

How so ? It's only a 250+ mile adjustment with the precip field...nothing big as of late

The differences in the precipitation distribution between the 18z NAM at hour 12 and the 00z NAM at hour 6 are up there in the top 5 hilariously bad model performances I've ever seen for multiple reasons.

Bodes well for the trough.

Seems this storm begs for a major review/change for this model. It's really been embarrassing this winter.

America is the greatest technological nation in the world, and we have the NAM as our short range model? This sort of scenario was what the NAM was built for, and it totally, epically, failed... Guessing the trough will be still there, and that probably will dissapear tomorrow at 12z or so.

-skisheep

It has reach the point this winter where it's not even usable. It really needs to be look out by ncep.

....dreading what I think I know is coming....the adjustment of the "second part"....250+ miles east as well!!....hmmmm

That likely has nothing to do with tonight. Tomorrow night's event has to do with another vort max diving SE and ultimately merging into the main low. My main concern is that the focus of that snow will be further east toward the main low, but we'll see. Tonight just isn't happening, and the NAM, once again fell flat on its face.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY712 PM EST WED MAR 6 2013.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...EXPECT 994 HPA LOW OFF THE DELMARVA PENINSULA TO SLOWLY MOVE ENETONIGHT...AND STRENGTHEN SLIGHTLY...AS IT MOVES WITH CUTOFF LOWABOVE IT. OPERATIONAL SYNOPTIC SCALE MODELS SEEM TO BE UNDERESTIMATING STRENGTH OF RIDGING TO THE N/NE OF THE LOW AND HENCEARE TOO FAST IN MOVING PRECIPITATION INTO THE TRI-STATE.ONLY MODELS WHICH SEEM TO HAVE ANY GRASP ON CURRENT SITUATION ARETHE HRRR AND RUC - AND THIS UPDATE REFLECTS THIS. BASICALLY HAVESCALED BACK POPS - ESPECIALLY OVER NW ZONES THIS EVENING ANDREDUCED QPF AND SNOW AMOUNTS. THE LATTER WEER ONLY A FEW TENTHS OFAN INCH SO SHOULD NOT AMOUNT TO ANY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE INACCUMULATIONS. BASICALLY EXPECT BULK OF PRECIPITATION SHIELD TOREMAIN OFFSHORE UNTIL AROUND MIDNIGHT - EXCEPT FOR POSSIBLY ALONGTHE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND.LAV GUIDANCE SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD HANDLE ON TEMPERATURES ANDDEWPOINTS - SO UPDATED REFLECTS LATEST THERE THIS EVENING.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSIONNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY712 PM EST WED MAR 6 2013.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...EXPECT 994 HPA LOW OFF THE DELMARVA PENINSULA TO SLOWLY MOVE ENETONIGHT...AND STRENGTHEN SLIGHTLY...AS IT MOVES WITH CUTOFF LOWABOVE IT. OPERATIONAL SYNOPTIC SCALE MODELS SEEM TO BE UNDERESTIMATING STRENGTH OF RIDGING TO THE N/NE OF THE LOW AND HENCEARE TOO FAST IN MOVING PRECIPITATION INTO THE TRI-STATE.ONLY MODELS WHICH SEEM TO HAVE ANY GRASP ON CURRENT SITUATION ARETHE HRRR AND RUC - AND THIS UPDATE REFLECTS THIS. BASICALLY HAVESCALED BACK POPS - ESPECIALLY OVER NW ZONES THIS EVENING ANDREDUCED QPF AND SNOW AMOUNTS. THE LATTER WEER ONLY A FEW TENTHS OFAN INCH SO SHOULD NOT AMOUNT TO ANY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE INACCUMULATIONS. BASICALLY EXPECT BULK OF PRECIPITATION SHIELD TOREMAIN OFFSHORE UNTIL AROUND MIDNIGHT - EXCEPT FOR POSSIBLY ALONGTHE SOUTH SHORE OF LONG ISLAND.LAV GUIDANCE SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD HANDLE ON TEMPERATURES ANDDEWPOINTS - SO UPDATED REFLECTS LATEST THERE THIS EVENING.

So they basically are tossing everything...

-skisheep

So they basically are tossing everything...

-skisheep

Sounds about right. Every single model at least gave us something appreciable and even the SE models don't look to have been far enough SE. The precip that looks to reach us looks miniscule at best and what does likely won't accumulate because rates will be poor. Our hope is tomorrow PM's event.

Archived