Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA - March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you elaborate on what you mean? Always eager to learn.

I am working on putting together a few images of what I have been looking at and will post in a couple minutes... I would love to find someone who has studied this that might be on this board

Not sure it really moves south, but it really cut back on precip a bit. Would make a big difference to folks in the harrisburg area that are really on the fringe right now.

MDT is about the same but york now up to 1" qpf... I would love to see GFS come closer to its 6 and 18z runs today than the 12 at 0z

The difference in the NAM total between 0z & 18z is how strong the CCB is up here. It's gone back and forth a couple times. Start looking towards some other High-Res short range models that can get a handle on the mesoscale dynamics to get a better idea. The strength and rate if decay of that CCB band as it comes over us tomorrow should make it break the storm for us. Also what PSUHOFFMAN mentioned before about a secondary maximum snowfall area setting up possibly because our location in regard to the confluence could play a major role. I think we should rout for a smooth transfer to the secondary For the good CCB to occur

Had a long day, I'm finally getting up to speed with the models and whatnot. I just saw 21z SREFs, they're really tight.. that's probably why CTP just retracted their map slightly. For me personally, I'm setting the bar at 4" in my backyard as the amount I would be happy with in this event. The regular models as well as the RAP and HRRR (whenever the damn things work) indicate a straight up nail biter between the turnpike and I-80 in true central. 

As for my map, some tweaks here and there but I'm happy with it overall. Biggest change was in the east, making a broader 3-6 range turning northeast and also widening 1-3" zone in NE PA as well. Stuck with my ranges and didn't get carried away.. there could def be some 12-14 lollipops near/along the mason dixon line in that 6-10 zone with the impressive banding that looks to set up. Any rate, that's the final map.. so whatever happens happens i'm over it haha. 

Final Map:

post-1507-0-41989300-1362539068_thumb.pn

ok here is what I am referring to... based on this article -- http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/WAF964.1

attachicon.gif15zSREF850windanomaly.jpg

attachicon.gif18zGFS850windanomaly.jpg

There are more parts to this but I am not going to overload the post with images... the -5 anomaly is due to easterly component for the top image

can get to these off of this site http://nws.met.psu.edu/

Thanks. I will read this later. Got a few things to work on.

Nice map Mag.  While all models show a tight gradient to the north, to my untrained eye, I cant see how the dropoff in the east was justified as there did not seem to be much of a dryslot component, but more of a smoother transfter, with potential for this thing to stall a little. As it's been said all along for areas on the "fringe", a little wiggle could go a long way with this one.  I'm anxious to watch it unfold....however it does.  A snow day sounds good tomorrow for the LSV.  its been a long time coming.

Good luck all.

Nut

Archived