joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take an all (or mostly) snow scenario like many of the runs were indicating 24 hours ago, and even a few are still showing now. Always hate to waste several hours of heavy QPF to wait for the low to pull ever so slowly away and finally allow for more manufactured cold air to filter in.  Although, to your point, that is what happened in Jan 2011, right? 

Still, with that kind of easterly component (strong negative U wind anomaly), in early March, how can we not have issues at the start?

i thought ocean temps are actually coldest around this time of year.

If you're west and elevated you're pretty much locked in unless something crazy happens. Otherwise.. no reason not to be conservative at least to a degree.

Anyway.. this is a good time to go back to hugging the Euro. The GFS sucks.

I think everyone is giving the 18z run a bit more credence than it deserves after DTK and some others admonished us...we all know it is a goofy run here...I doubt we get a driving rainstorm and I doubt Boston gets 5" of liquid

If you're west and elevated you're pretty much locked in unless something crazy happens. Otherwise.. no reason not to be conservative at least to a degree.

The colder runs recently had us stop talking about the idea of an insane gradient (it's been smoothed out more in the past 24-hours), but there's of course still the possibility of an Ash-Wednesday type gradient-- 3 sloppy inches in downtown (that picture in the Washington Weather book from 12th and M St is so sad) with lots of rain while somewhere in the not-so-distant west goes over 20". 

I think everyone is giving the 18z run a bit more credence than it deserves after DTK and some others admonished us...we all know it is a goofy run here...I doubt we get a driving rainstorm and I doubt Boston gets 5" of liquid

Agreed. It's concerning...it's not like we want to see what it produced...but the GFS has consistently been warmer and northerly. The current blend still favors a mainly snowy solution.

The colder runs recently had us stop talking about the idea of an insane gradient (it's been smoothed out more in the past 24-hours), but there's of course still the possibility of an Ash-Wednesday type gradient-- 3 sloppy inches in downtown (that picture in the Washington Weather book from 12th and M St is so sad) with lots of rain while somewhere in the not-so-distant west goes over 20". 

yeah--agreed. i'm still sorta focused on the 5" mark for DC.. not that sold either way. im not jumping off any cliffs over the 18z GFS tho.

yeah--agreed. i'm still sorta focused on the 5" mark for DC.. not that sold either way. im not jumping off any cliffs over the 18z GFS tho.

Me neither...but definitely upset because I thought it was locked in. To me a SN-RN-SN storm is only as good as that last third.

The GFS suggests that for downtown DC, instead of snow and 32 to 35 degrees during the day,

you may have snow and 33 to 36 degrees.

Slop until the CAA after sunset Wednesday eve. Here in Reisterstown, I'm expecting 6" to 10" but then

we are 18 miles south of PA.

The GFS suggests that for downtown DC, instead of snow and 32 to 35 degrees during the day,

you may have snow and 33 to 36 degrees.

Slop until the CAA after sunset Wednesday eve.

What are your thoughts up our way? I'm still trying to figure out how much this 18z GFS "warmth" affects central Balt county and whether we have precip type issues

EDIT: thanks, that's what I'm thinking too

What are your thoughts up our way? I'm still trying to figure out how much this 18z GFS "warmth" affects central Balt county and whether we have precip type issues

If what other posters are suggesting is correct (forecast soundings that depict driving east winds with much of the boundary layer),

west is better than east. NW Baltimore County should be better than East Baltimore County. West Carroll County could be amazing, i.e. west of Westminster.

I can envision a warm nose being pulled off the Atlantic and the stronger the storm wraps up, the further west that warm nose will get pulled.

Archived