joxey
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not.

Look..at the very least, this'll ground us and stop the talk of 10" etc

Yes but thr trends are disturbing, especially this close to lock in, nowcast mode. The last thing I want to see this evolve into is a discussion as to whether or not we can even get 1-3" of slop toward the very end, like after dark tomorrow. I'd rather not go there. Not considering the ride we've been on the last 24-48 hours.

Yes but thr trends are disturbing, especially this close to lock in, nowcast mode. The last thing I want to see this evolve into is a discussion as to whether or not we can even get 1-3" of slop toward the very end, like after dark tomorrow. I'd rather not go there. Not considering the ride we've been on the last 24-48 hours.

Very true. It's all relative, and my expectations are jacked.

Completely agree.  but we have to move the goal posts. 6" is my mark...and it's realistic at least.

But, that might be the right answer after all.  That would be unfortunate, but it is what it is.  I feel like this happens every big storm: we're charting towards biblical hit and then something happens to bring us back to earth and then we get merely a significant hit.  I don't get the angst, since tracking swings in the models is part of the fun.     

I agree.  Last thing we want is to wake up Wednesday morning with slush to driving cold rain, then hope for a couple inches on the back side that night.  That would be a crushing blow for something that really has been shaping up to be a major winter event here for the past couple of days.

I know some of the exteme weenieness in people may have been seriously thinking 12" or more in DC was a "lock".  But other than that, I actually don't think it was really out of the realm of possibility to talk about a double-digit snow in DC (or DCA), certainly on the order of 6-10" was not unreasonable.  I think even some of HPC's probabilities weren't bad for 8"+. 

Has this been posted?

From the 3:28pm disco:

"NO WARNINGS ISSUED YET AS MOST PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA WOULD NOT REACHWARNING CRITERIA UNTIL THE OVERNIGHT HOURS TUESDAY NIGHT...BUT THISWILL BE RE-EVALUATED ON THE EVENING SHIFT PENDING 12Z ECMWF ANDADDITIONAL GUIDANCE."

Didn't they already have the 12z ECMWF at this point?

I think everyone is giving the 18z run a bit more credence than it deserves after DTK and some others admonished us...we all know it is a goofy run here...I doubt we get a driving rainstorm and I doubt Boston gets 5" of liquid

Seriously?  I didn't admonish anyone, I was simply trying to give information from the perspective of someone that works on data assimilation for a living.  You are entitled to your opinion.  There has been a bit more discussion on this over in the Met101 section for people that are interested (in a thread called meteorlogy [sic], or something).

But whatever, carry on.....

But, that might be the right answer after all.  That would be unfortunate, but it is what it is.  I feel like this happens every big storm: we're charting towards biblical hit and then something happens to bring us back to earth and then we get merely a significant hit.  I don't get the angst, since tracking swings in the models is part of the fun.     

I see what you're saying and generally agree, but 1-3" of slop at the end would hardly be significant.  Even for March.  I don't expect Biblical proportions, but the past couple days has been looking like a really significant event here.  Would be awful to see that slip through our fingers and end up with mostly cold rain.  But we'll see, no real point getting too wrapped around an axle, I suppose!

I think our problem is that the GFS slows the vort down so much before it gets to ORF that it draws in a lot of warm air

the NAM doesn't slow down the vort until it gets to ORF and then gets stacked

move the vort a few hours faster on the GFS and it'll make a world of diff I think

00Z will ease our concerns.

This is we we gotta hope to some extent that DT is just once right about the northern "actual" movement and the "actual" crappiness the 18z suite has..What is at oz, this thing is further south and east...the low...then what?

Agreed that the trend is not our friend...

I think our problem is that the GFS slows the vort down so much before it gets to ORF that it draws in a lot of warm air

move the vort a few hours faster on the GFS and it'll make a world of diff I think

I would be interested in hearing red taggers discuss what is causing the difference in speed, and which option they would lean towards.

Very good point. Because of the inland stall gfs keeps best bands of precip a little west of cities too for much of the day.

18Z NAM is actually pretty darn good

I posted this over in the banter thread, but I think it needs repeating that these graphs are very accurate to the soundings imho

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getbufr.cgi?region=MD&stn=KBWI&model=nam&time=current&field=prec

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getbufr.cgi?region=MD&stn=KDCA&model=nam&time=current&field=prec

Archived