12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before I get a storm of people angry for saying that, I should clarify that the sref is north with the precip sheild NOT the storm track.  This is the normal period where models figure out the extent of the precip on the northern edge will be further then they thought initially. 

LOL...well, you just answered my question above!  Thanks.  What you said makes sense about models adjusting the precip shield extent.

Despite DTs facebook scolding of this forum, he basically has the DC-Balt region in 8-12" of snow...pretty bullish for a guy that seemed like the southern track would prevail

Are you actually looking for logic in anything from DT? I take great pride in him banning me from his facebook threads after I told him that I was sick of him over-hyping everything instead of being realistic like the Mets in this forum.  He has been unprofessional ever since he was on Wright-Weather, but now he makes things up to impress his blind followers (typically students and mom's that have no knowledge of even the basics of meteorology so they they can't tell him when he is wrong, that's how he likes it lol)

SREF is not north, but its definitely west of the last run.  at 48 hours SLP is 996 right over the southern tip of the delmarva.  ON the last run it was about 50 miles east of there. 

Not a good sign then, further west, the more it will support the GFS thermals.

So up on the Skyline it will be 60-80"?????????

Good gosh no... If your going to post here, at least make sure you can read a basic precip map! 6-8" is a tropical storm, 0.6 to 0.8 is what we're looking at here. For future refrence most if not all precip maps are in hundredths of an inch. So 100 would be 1" and 75 would be .75 and 10" would be 1000.

before I get a storm of people angry for saying that, I should clarify that the sref is north with the precip sheild NOT the storm track. This is the normal period where models figure out the extent of the precip on the northern edge will be further then they thought initially.

LOL. I enjoy your posts but models can't think. ;)

possibly, but there is more going on then just that.  At some point the storm is going to transition as it phases some, but the GFS has it get stuck during this process...gets the best vv's and precip well away from the storm for a bit, and takes a long time to get it reorganized.  Thus a sucky thermal profile.  THe NAM and SREF show a more compact and better organized solution, and thus more snow even with a similar track.  Its not as simple as the track. 

before I get a storm of people angry for saying that, I should clarify that the sref is north with the precip sheild NOT the storm track. This is the normal period where models figure out the extent of the precip on the northern edge will be further then they thought initially.

LOL. I enjoy your posts but models can't think. ;)

SREF is not north, but its definitely west of the last run. at 48 hours SLP is 996 right over the southern tip of the delmarva. ON the last run it was about 50 miles east of there.

But it was already established that it doesn't.

possibly, but there is more going on then just that.  At some point the storm is going to transition as it phases some, but the GFS has it get stuck during this process...gets the best vv's and precip well away from the storm for a bit, and takes a long time to get it reorganized.  Thus a sucky thermal profile.  THe NAM and SREF show a more compact and better organized solution, and thus more snow even with a similar track.  Its not as simple as the track. 

are you getting nervous about a mix out here for a few hours at least?

Good gosh no... If your going to post here, at least make sure you can read a basic precip map! 6-8" is a tropical storm, 0.6 to 0.8 is what we're looking at here. For future refrence most if not all precip maps are in hundredths of an inch. So 100 would be 1" and 75 would be .75 and 10" would be 1000.

hahaha he is referring to the little dot of 400-600 on the 18z HiRes NAM. Which would be 6"-8" which is 60"-80" of snow. He read the map correctly, probably just making fun of it.

Winter Storm Warnings up for WV Panhandle Westward...

MDZ003-501-502-VAZ028-030-031-WVZ050>053-503-504-051000-

/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0004.130305T2300Z-130307T0500Z/

/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0005.130305T2300Z-130307T0500Z/

WASHINGTON-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-

FREDERICK VA-WARREN-CLARKE-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-

WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HAGERSTOWN...FROSTBURG...CUMBERLAND...

WINCHESTER...FRONT ROYAL...MARTINSBURG...CHARLES TOWN...

ELK GARDEN...KEYSER...FORT ASHBY

848 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM TUESDAY TO MIDNIGHT

EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM

TUESDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH THE INCREASING

CERTAINTY OF HEAVY SNOW...THE WARNING HAS NOW REPLACED THE WINTER

STORM WATCH THAT HAD BEEN IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION MIXING WITH AND CHANGING TO SNOW TUESDAY

NIGHT. SNOW WILL THROUGH MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT...AND WILL BE

HEAVY AT TIMES ON WEDNESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY WET SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS COULD LEAD TO POWER

OUTAGES AND DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

IF YOU NEED TO TRAVEL TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY

NIGHT...TAKE PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

ENSURE YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY KIT IN YOUR TRUNK.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS

ARE ALSO EXPECTED. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR

IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

@15 looks faster, may benefit us by keeping it further from the coast and moving that warm nose out

h5 is different though... 18z at 21 had the two s/w's phasing... 00z at 15 doesn't -- still has them separate

Not that it makes much difference at 21 on 00z.. its almost exact same, a few miles NW of 18z 27 h5

Archived