• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Would you trade 09-10 for climo snow last 3 years?

Bob Chill

Yeah, it was all snow for me as well.  I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I'm thinking it was 8.75 by my measurement.  I have it written down somewhere.

We've actually been pretty lucky back here.  The last winter we had without a 5+ inch snow was 08-09.

I had 4.0" from the 10/29/2011 storm, so I'd have to add that season to the list.

Here's my season totals since moving to WV:

'06-'07- 26.5"

'07-'08- 15.1"

'08-'09- 5.1"

'09-'10- 82.1"

'10-'11- 20.5"

'11-'12- 8.5"

'12-'13- 14.3"

I had 4.0" from the 10/29/2011 storm, so I'd have to add that season to the list.

Here's my season totals since moving to WV:

'06-'07- 26.5"

'07-'08- 15.1"

'08-'09- 5.1"

'09-'10- 82.1"

'10-'11- 20.5"

'11-'12- 8.5"

'12-'13- 14.3"

I was able to get 6" from the 10-29 storm that year.  That's the only thing that saved it.  I think I had one other storm of 2", the rest were less.

Yes, I would trade it. And here is why.

I had to shovel my driveway, my next door neighbors driveway, and my neighbors house behind me, their driveway. Then my street never saw a plow during the December storm. Some of the neighbors and I had to clear a path 1/4 mile, one car wide to get out of the street. That took 3 days. The buildup to every storm found me working 12 hour days, 6 days a week. I didn't have all the fun with the chase and then couldn't enjoy it too much once it fell because I was exhausted from the shoveling. I know, b**ch, b**ch, b**ch. I love a good snow storm as much as anyone but that was just too much to say that because of it I would have to go 3 years (let's hope it's just 3) without any real snow. I want to see my grass and the street covered and enjoy it with a good back, cold beer and shrimp on the barbie.

But it was extreme and for that I am glad I witnessed it. Just wish, in my case, it had been more fun.

NOO. 09-10 was epic and I loved how even with the crappy period for much of Jan it just seemed to want to snow, despite not being a super cold winter. And I actually did okay the following winter...Had about 6 inches here from the Dec 26 storm. Ended up right at climo as I often caught the SW edge of the developing lows that pasted areas further NE. So a tad frustrating, but compared to other places I did alright. So its just been these last 2 winters that have sucked and I can deal with that. At least the one clipper in January gave me 3 inches here (the one where Dover and SNJ got 6-7").

No way. There's a big difference between real memories and a forgettable four to six that falls every once in a while and melts in a day or two.

I couldn't care less about getting a couple 4" storms. Epic or go home. Besides, median around here is garbage. I'd rather have no winter at all.

There is some truth to that. But memorable can go back quite a few years. It's not that I haven't experienced "memorable" snows here in DC. There was 79, 83, 87, 96, 03 and of course, 09/10. Some more memorable than others, depends on perspective. Was 09/10 a crazy winter? Hell yeah! Was it the only memorable winter (for me and a few others)? Hell no! I don't want anymore snow-less winters. 1.5" in 6 events is pitiful. 15" spread out over 3 or 4 events is a lot better. And more fun to track.

Way too much reverence is given to that Jan 2011 storm imo. That was nothing but slop, 7 or 8 to 1 ratio cement at best. The fact that the first part was rain and the whole event was so borderline temp-wise made it just about puntable in my book. Why can't we get a simple GD decent snow storm here?

Would i trade 09-10 for some normal climo winters? I would if we could get those storms to coincide with true cold air to keep the snow on the ground for more than a couple days at least.

14 inches and TSSN here. No punt.

I wouldn't trade it for three years of climo, but I do think I would've been happier in the long run if the total had been split into two back-to-back above average seasons. So instead of 77" at BWI, we would've had, say, 40" inches one year and 37" the next year.

Also, January 2011 was amazing (at least up here)... I don't get the hate. As disappointing as that winter was, I'd give anything to have that winter again after experiencing 11/12 and 12/13.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think i would trade it if offered the proposition in dec 09, but see that's the problem.  we weren't offered that proposition and so the last 3 years i've been craving that winter again.  all i want is a 2"+ snowstorm to satisfy the craving that i got from living through 09/10.  in hindsight i wouldn't trade it because i would already know that the next 3 years would be lame and it would be easier to deal with.

Archived