• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Would you trade 09-10 for climo snow last 3 years?

Bob Chill

I would. Without the late Jan 2011 storm, 10-11 would have been a terrible year as well. So we've had one decent storm in 3 years and record low snow for 2 years running. 

The Jan 2011 storm wasn't all snow for most either. We have to go back to Feb 2010 to have an all snow warning criteria storm. I'm sorry, that is just sad. 09-10 was great and all but I would much prefer simple winters with at least 75% of climo and a couple of warning criteria all snow storms. 

The most frustrating part is areas in all points of the compass around us have gotten decent snow. I would gladly trade 09-10 back in for some "ok" storms since then. 

Way too much reverence is given to that Jan 2011 storm imo.  That was nothing but slop,  7 or 8 to 1 ratio cement at best.  The fact that the first part was rain and the whole event was so borderline temp-wise made it just about puntable in my book.  Why can't we get a simple GD decent snow storm here?

Would i trade 09-10 for some normal climo winters?  I would if we could get those storms to coincide with true cold air to keep the snow on the ground for more than a couple days at least.

I probably see snow a little different than most after spending 7 years in the rockies. No snow is more painful in back to back winters than not getting a huge year. 

Speaking of the rockies. They are having back to back crap years too. Loveland (right on the divide) has 130 on the year and they average 360. In relative terms, skiers out there are as mad as we are. 

Way too much reverence is given to that Jan 2011 storm imo.  That was nothing but slop,  7 or 8 to 1 ratio cement at best.  The fact that the first part was rain and the whole event was so borderline temp-wise made it just about puntable in my book.  Why can't we get a simple GD decent snow storm here?

Would i trade 09-10 for some normal climo winters?  I would if we could get those storms to coincide with true cold air to keep the snow on the ground for more than a couple days at least.

Plus we get so many 6-10" storms with +SN and thunder, this one is forgettable

No!  Not a chance!

09/10 was a once-in-a-lifetime winter.  The back-to-back February snowstorms with blizzard conditions were truly amazing events.  Rt-340 near my house was closed for days because of the massive snowdrifts (10-12 feet in spots).  Those are memories I would not trade just to get average snowfall the last three winters.

On the other side of the weather coin, I absolutely loved the early spring from last year - March was amazing.  Lots of 70s and 80s that month.

I love weather extremes, and memorable events like those in 09/10, so there's no way I would want to give those up for just average snowfall and events the last three years.

I would be surprised if anyone would make that trade, but there may be one or two.  Most people wouldn't give up 09/10.

I wouldn't give up 80+ inches of snow to add on about 10 inches in 2010-2011, 18 inches to add on in 2011-2012, and 15 inches to add on this year.  So I guess my answer is no.

However, and I know this isn't the question, but if I could have spread out those 80 as opposed to those two huge, pain in the butt snows that nearly broke my back, made driving through the neighborhoods difficult for weeks because of snow piles, then I would have done that in a minute.

I wouldn't give up 80+ inches of snow to add on about 10 inches in 2010-2011, 18 inches to add on in 2011-2012, and 15 inches to add on this year.  So I guess my answer is no.

However, and I know this isn't the question, but if I could have spread out those 80 as opposed to those two huge, pain in the butt snows that nearly broke my back, made driving through the neighborhoods difficult for weeks because of snow piles, then I would have done that in a minute.

I got 93", and I had 5 warning snows, 12/19, 1/30, 2/2, 2/5, and 2/9. I mean that was pretty sick, but if you're saying getting in that 93 (8, 12, 10, 14, 9, 11, 16, 7, and 6, I'd really enjoy as well. Instead the 5 warning snows were 21, 7, 5.5, 31.5 and 20. That's awesome either way. Edit to add having 3 blizzard warnings included in the 5 WSW periods, verified or not, and some of it did, thats unbelievable. 

Many non weather forum people remember Jan 11 more distinctly than any one of the 09/10 events in terms of impact.  If you were commuting, or had a family member commuting, during the Jan 11 event it was a BFD, more than 09-10.  2/10/10 is a close second, because of the intensity and cap to the overall 09/10 season.  Not sure why folks here down play Jan 11 so much.

Many non weather forum people remember Jan 11 more distinctly than any one of the 09/10 events in terms of impact.  If you were commuting, or had a family member commuting, during the Jan 11 event it was a BFD, more than 09-10.  2/10/10 is a close second, because of the intensity and cap to the overall 09/10 season.  Not sure why folks here down play Jan 11 so much.

I don't think that is true at all for the general public.  Yes, the commute was terrible, and some had just obscene trips to make it home, but the impact of 2/5-6 was so overwhelming that it started on a Friday and many people were still not plowed out by the time that 2/9-10 happened.  Pretty much nothing happened for a week in a major metropolitan region.  That made more of an impact than an individual commute in Jan '11.

I don't think that is true at all for the general public.  Yes, the commute was terrible, and some had just obscene trips to make it home, but the impact of 2/5-6 was so overwhelming that it started on a Friday and many people were still not plowed out by the time that 2/9-10 happened.  Pretty much nothing happened for a week in a major metropolitan region.  That made more of an impact than an individual commute in Jan '11.

Yeah, but DC can do nothing better than any city in the nation.  :D

I knew I was in the tiny minority when I started the thread.

I sure hope we don't add another year onto the current streak.

I think if I worded it different more people would make the trade. Something like would you prefer spreading out the 3 big 09-10 storms over 3 years or something like that.

I'm having a hard time remembering what my grass looks like when its completely covered. We're in one heck of an agonizing bad streak.

I got 93", and I had 5 warning snows, 12/19, 1/30, 2/2, 2/5, and 2/9. I mean that was pretty sick, but if you're saying getting in that 93 (8, 12, 10, 14, 9, 11, 16, 7, and 6, I'd really enjoy as well. Instead the 5 warning snows were 21, 7, 5.5, 31.5 and 20. That's awesome either way. Edit to add having 3 blizzard warnings included in the 5 WSW periods, verified or not, and some of it did, thats unbelievable. 

:lol:

Perry Hall at 200' got 87" and Pasadena got 81"

At best you got 85"....I can understand your ridiculous inflation in 2002-03 since you were young, but why now?...Please dont ever be a spotter or cocorahs observer

YMMV I suppose...The people I talk to remember Jan 11 first.  The problem with 09/10 is that it can be tough to distinguish specific events given the outrageous season totals and multiple big events.

I measured 60 - 64 inches in 09-10 (there is a disputed storm during the Feb snow train that I did not record).  At most then I was about 38 inches above average.  In 2011 I was 15 inches below avg, in 2012 I was 23 inches below avg, and this year I'll finish another 15 inches below avg.  If I go with climo the last 3 years I come out 15 inches ahead. 

I'm with Bob, I'll take climo and forfeit 09-10 with the sole exception of the Dec 19 storm.  I'm not giving that one back. 

Jan 2011 was all snow here.  No thunder, no rain, but great rates and 8.7" fell.

Yeah, it was all snow for me as well.  I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I'm thinking it was 8.75 by my measurement.  I have it written down somewhere.

We've actually been pretty lucky back here.  The last winter we had without a 5+ inch snow was 08-09.

Archived