• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2009-2010 mid-atlantic snowfall map

Ian

the original thread asking for snow total submissions is attached, and here is the map Katie (mapgirl18) created. i had cited the eastern thread in forthcoming book but i might need to fix that... heh.

i'd like to come back to it again soon if we can get more data.

2009-10_season_snow_15in-l.jpg

Full story: http://voices.washin..._2009_2010.html

Data set: http://voices.washin..._nov10-ver1.pdf

This and other maps by Katie covering last yrs storms will appear in "Snowmageddon: Washington's Record-breaking Winter of 2009-10".

Howmuchsnowdidyougetin2009-10-EasternUSWeatherForums.html

map i say over all looks a little sketchy, i can tell you for a fact that most of Delaware County had at least 80". i would say most of south east pa had close to 80", i think it would be best if you compared it with this map post-211-0-19412000-1290058738.gif all the numbers from this map are reports from member of eastern.

Why are you claiming that when the map you posted as a reference shows only a few bulleyes of 80"+.

BTW nice map Ian/Katie....I like to do them every year now for SNE. I think they are a great way to archive a winter. You see surprisingly few seasonal snowfall maps around.

Why are you claiming that when the map you posted as a reference shows only a few bulleyes of 80"+.

BTW nice map Ian/Katie....I like to do them every year now for SNE. I think they are a great way to archive a winter. You see surprisingly few seasonal snowfall maps around.

Yeah, I couldnt find one when I looked so it was good Katie does it for a living.

I think it can still be tweaked.. we have not really filled in much for orographics etc, and we removed a few more of the dots for the book purposes. It's a work in progress if we can find more totals, but I'm not sure where else to look right now.

It would be nice to keep doing them going forward, perhaps not as interesting though...

Thank you!

Yeah, I couldnt find one when I looked so it was good Katie does it for a living.

I think it can still be tweaked.. we have not really filled in much for orographics etc, and we removed a few more of the dots for the book purposes. It's a work in progress if we can find more totals, but I'm not sure where else to look right now.

It would be nice to keep doing them going forward, perhaps not as interesting though...

I'm down to continue to make maps for you - as you said, I do it for a living and making weather related maps are a bit more exiciting than mapping test pit, geoprobe, soil and groundwater samples as I do each day haha

Nice map! The scale makes it easy on the eye. Such high snow totals could make for a rainbow nightmare if you try to get too fine with the detail.

Also, I'm sure the plotting for the map around the Philadelphia region is accurate. IF you read the methodology, there were multiple plot points used in and around Philadelphia.

I'm down to continue to make maps for you - as you said, I do it for a living and making weather related maps are a bit more exiciting than mapping test pit, geoprobe, soil and groundwater samples as I do each day haha

yeah, i know, it's mostly just been me being busy lately plus you did a lot of hard work over a short period so i dont want to bother you nonstop. we're finally done with the book though so that's nice. i may take a few weeks and not think about any related matters.... ;)

Nice map! The scale makes it easy on the eye. Such high snow totals could make for a rainbow nightmare if you try to get too fine with the detail.

Also, I'm sure the plotting for the map around the Philadelphia region is accurate. IF you read the methodology, there were multiple plot points used in and around Philadelphia.

yeah i think the scale works pretty well for the data we have obtained. katie did in 10 and 20" increments as well that i can dig up and post for comparo or she can share if she'd like. i really like the 10 but we need more numbers for it i think.

i think everything is pretty accurate save some data holes and potentially incorrect measurements etc. katie used a program to plot etc, rather than doing by hand. sure the second method can produce fine results but it might also be more open to error if the person isnt skilled.

Thank you :wub:

I should say that I don't doubt that the other map posted in this thread isn't accurate, however it's probably not 100% accurate. Mine isn't even 100% accurate because we had a lot of areas where we just didn't have data and had to guess.

Though, I'd love to read the methodology on how that map was created.

yeah i think the scale works pretty well for the data we have obtained. katie did in 10 and 20" increments as well that i can dig up and post for comparo or she can share if she'd like. i really like the 10 but we need more numbers for it i think.

i think everything is pretty accurate save some data holes and potentially incorrect measurements etc. katie used a program to plot etc, rather than doing by hand. sure the second method can produce fine results but it might also be more open to error if the person isnt skilled.

10 and 20 are below

I still think in that one storm they had a bogus reading. I cant remember which one, but I know we were all talking about it on the board.

Oh I know - there were some that were totally off - like the Bethesda one. When Ian wants to go back and re-work on it, we will.

We never said it was 100% correct. ;)

Oh I know - there were some that were totally off - like the Bethesda one. When Ian wants to go back and re-work on it, we will.

We never said it was 100% correct. ;)

Oh I know, Im not blaming you guys. You can only go with what data you had to work with. Well we know why the Bethesda one was off :lol:

It is still a really good map from the historic season though

Ive got to be honest, I dont get along with Mapgirl at all, but the GIS work she did on that map is really good. Better then I can pull from our GIS department and they have a staff of 15 or so. As far as how MOCO is depicted with its totals, the cutoff over the DC line is pretty dead on and reflects how they had some precip issues over that precise area during the Feb Blizzard. From an Emergency Manager who doesnt get impressed by much, job well done guys.

Archived