• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 25/26th Winter Weather Event Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buncombe, Henderson and Transylvania upgraded to Ice Storm Warning...Freezing Rain Advisory now issued for Eastern McDowell, Greater Burke/Caldwell, Alexander, Catawba, Lincoln...

Got a feeling there will be glaze on the trees come daylight...

Yep.  I was calling for this all day yesterday.  GSP finally caught on at the last minute...

The GFS was definitely much better than the NAM for the piedmont locations.  I went below freezing at 3:20 AM and then back to 32 at 6:40 AM.  During those 3+ hours below freezing, I had 0.43 inches of rain fall.  Obviously, it didn't all freeze on contact, as some would run off, but I would guess there was between a 0.1-0.2 inch glaze on the deck and trees.  The trees were actually quite beautiful this morning.

Vastly different conditions across kernersville this morning. Half degree variances are making huge differences in accums on trees and powerlines. Literally nothing on the southside of town, noticable icing on trees in town and then significant icing on the north side close to walkertown. 5 mile stretch with very different results. I have some trees bending here in the neighborhood. So close to a mega ice event!

Vastly different conditions across kernersville this morning. Half degree variances are making huge differences in accums on trees and powerlines. Literally nothing on the southside of town, noticable icing on trees in town and then significant icing on the north side close to walkertown. 5 mile stretch with very different results. I have some trees bending here in the neighborhood. So close to a mega ice event!

Yes, it seems as if we have had several events where we were about 2 degrees away from a MAJOR event instead of a nuisance event.  I'll take a nuisance when it comes to ICE storms.  I love having my POWER!

Just made a short drive up Cedar Creek Road north of Lake Lure, and above the 1,700 foot level, it is a disaster! The ice is over an inch diameter on the trees and power lines, and it was still building. Trees are down, and lines are dropping just above the road. Back here at the house, ice is on the trees, and almost three inches has fallen so far. Here are a few pics I made about 45 minutes ago along Cedar Creek Road.

post-8754-0-99243100-1361890992_thumb.jp

post-8754-0-69778700-1361891001_thumb.jp

post-8754-0-45365000-1361891014_thumb.jp

Archived