• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25/26th Winter Weather Event Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made a short drive up Cedar Creek Road north of Lake Lure, and above the 1,700 foot level, it is a disaster! The ice is over an inch diameter on the trees and power lines, and it was still building. Trees are down, and lines are dropping just above the road. Back here at the house, ice is on the trees, and almost three inches has fallen so far. Here are a few pics I made about 45 minutes ago along Cedar Creek Road.

Great shots! Especially the first one.

I was about 10 mins late for class even with the 2 hour delay...the trees/limbs/power-lines did not start falling until after 9 at least where I am located.

I could hear things constantly falling in the woods when I was thawing out my windshield (which was another reason why I was late it took forever).

6713_469495749771517_24718225_n.jpg

65520_469495679771524_1250308776_n.jpg

Well, I only got a glaze of about 0.10-0.20 inches of ice out of this system, but I sure did pick up a lot of rainfall.  My high temp today was 38.6 F, and my total rainfall measures in at 1.60 inches.  Not too shabby!

I had a few "if only this was snow........" thoughts today, LOL... (yes, I know there was literally no chance of that given the setup).

It was really cold this morning.  33 degrees with wind-driven heavy rain.  Brr...

Great pictures MountainMarvel !   Ice storms are beautiful, but under the right conditions, Ice storms can certainly do a lot of damage in a matter of a few hours.

We are fortunate this one did not turn out to be as devastating as the December 24/25 2009 Ice Storm that really hit the escarpment very bad.    That one did major damage to hardwoods along the Parkway and it took until early summer to get the Parkway cleared.

The Jonas Ridge area of Northern Burke was hit especially hard in December 2009.

I will try to dig out some pictures.

The Weather Channel wasn't covering it because nobody lives there. Just look at your (predictably HDR) pics, just trees and a couple of power lines. No sign of civilization at all.

Just so you know, this ice storm affected tens of thousands from the South Carolina line to Virginia, especially in the Boone area, where power outages are still a big problem. And, the photo with the power line was taken at the entrance to Stone Mountain School for Boys, a boarding school for teenagers with learning disabilities. What it didn't show were the many crews working along Bat Cave-Old Fort Road, restoring power to the school AND the hundreds of residences in that area. This storm, one of the worst to hit the central Blue Ridge in years, deserved coverage, both nationally and locally. And to your paranthetical, "predictably HDR", NONE of the three photos were "HDR". I'll take your erronious accusation as a compliment. Get a life! 

Archived