amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 10° here. Feels like mid-January tonight!

That last picture of yours Bo with the ice in the channel is really cool!

Lol, at the head under the ice comment. Looks like a rock to me.

Was having a bit of fun with all the snow - had to share. haha

Snow here is prime for building and carving things.

Something for the squirrels to play around on for a few days.

attachicon.gifDSCN1497.JPG

Love it! Its rare to see such a deep packing snow. The best I can remember is after the 7.7" Feb 22, 2010. Usually the great packing snow is a few inches deep (and I dont like to mess with making grass show :lol: ).

Looks like Roger Smith was wrong about his mid to end of February torch along the lines of 1930. Perhaps the stars just weren't aligned?

If he (and others) simply would have said it looks like temps turn mild beginning in mid-February, it would have been one thing. He would have busted, no big deal, happens all the time. But instead some called for an EXTENDED period of record or near RECORD warmth. Not to misquote anyone, as I dont remember who was simply calling for warmth and who was calling for record warmth. But you get the idea. What they did is NO different than JB, and if anything it was worse because they made these calls 3 weeks before mid-Feb with no model support whatsoever, other than the CFS showing a March torch (and we see what the CFS shows for March now :lmao: ). At least JB humps the 384-hr gfs or something. So basically, calls that implied temps to be 20-30+ degrees ABOVE normal actually ended up several degrees BELOW normal = BUSTTTTTTTTTTT!

Great picture!  I can tell you really enjoy the snow, as do i!!

Nice depth you got going there too.

Big snows in March?  pretty common:

With significant snowfall expected at both Rochester and La Crosse, a natural question is "how rare are these events?" The climate data suggests not very rare at all. In fact, you could even consider it somewhat common.

Below are some March snowfall climate statistics for both La Crosse and Rochester. Note the appreciable number of 1-day and 2-day snowfall records that have occurred in March.

La Crosse

THE IMPENDING WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO BRING 9 TO 13 INCHES OFHEAVY SNOW TO PORTIONS OF THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY MONDAYAND TUESDAY. THE INFORMATION BELOW LOOKS AT THE RARITY OF MARCHHEAVY SNOW EVENTS AT THE LA CROSSE MUNICIPAL AIRPORT. AS ITTURNS OUT...SOME OF THE GREATEST SNOW EVENTS HAVE OCCURRED IN MARCH....ALL-TIME 1-DAY SNOW RECORDS...THE 14.3" THAT FELL ON MARCH 13 1997 IS THE 4TH GREATEST 1-DAYSNOWFALL RECORD. 25 PERCENT OF THE TOP 25 1-DAY SNOW RECORDS HAVEOCCURRED IN MARCH....ALL-TIME 2-DAY SNOW RECORDS...THE 18.5" THAT FELL MARCH 5-6 1959 IS THE GREATEST 2-DAY SNOWFALL ONRECORD. 28 PERCENT OF THE TOP 25 2-DAY SNOW RECORDS HAVE OCCURRED INMARCH....SIGNIFICANT MARCH SNOW FREQUENCY...SINCE 1896...10" OR MORE IN 1 DAY HAVE FALLEN IN MARCH 5 TIMES. THELAST TWO OCCURRENCES WERE MARCH 18 2005 (13.9") AND MARCH 13 1997(14.3")[/quote]

Cloudy this morning, but mild...only dropped to 24F last night...  Won't see the sun again to Weds.

Nice snow castle Geos.

Got down to 21 here before the clouds rolled in and thickened.  Been snowing lightly the last hour or so.  Not really adding up to much, maybe a tenth.  Small flakes, and what's there is blowing around off rooftops, etc.  The crust (3") beneath is solid as a rock from the freeze/thaw cycles.

that's freaking awesome.. would make an awesome bird and tree rat feeder.  definitely going to try and duplicate something like that next winter for feeders.

In the upper midwest, it is a March WITHOUT a big snowstorm that is the uncommon occurrence. It usually falls on deaf ears, actually downright amazing how many on this board year-in and year-out think spring snowstorms are a novelty when they are not (and Mar 2010 & 2012 certainly didnt help that cause). And just by mentioning this the replies usually entail "Im so ready for spring/severe", "snows this time of year are useless unless epic" etc etc....but even at my latitude spring snow is common.

I dont have stats for the entire month of march, but i did a writeup on snowstorms at Detroit after the spring equinox. This should give other posters at similar latitudes (ORD, MKE, CLE, etc) a rough idea on their odds. Detroit averages a 3"+ snowstorm AFTER March 20th once every other year, and a 5"+ snowstorm after March 20th once every 5 years. The last time DTW saw a 3"+ snowstorm after Mar 20th was Apr 5/6, 2009 when 7.2" fell.

The region saw epically widespread warning criteria spring snowstorms in 1886, 1930, 1934, 1970, 1975, 1982, 2003, 2008, 2009 and these are just off the top of my head, not to mention the more localized ones (like 2005 here, for example). MI saw arguably its most paralyzing blizzard (60mph+ winds, heavy snow, rapid temp drop) of the futile '40s on Mar 25, 1947....Detroit recorded thundersnow on Mar 29, 1954 in one of the few occurances I could actually find in the old records where TSSN was noted. I could go on and on. No its not saying it happens EVERY year...but we are due going the last 3 springs with virtually nothing (a bit of slush in Apr 2011) after the equinox.

In the upper midwest, it is a March WITHOUT a big snowstorm that is the uncommon occurrence. It usually falls on deaf ears, actually downright amazing how many on this board year-in and year-out think spring snowstorms are a novelty when they are not (and Mar 2010 & 2012 certainly didnt help that cause). And just by mentioning this the replies usually entail "Im so ready for spring/severe", "snows this time of year are useless unless epic" etc etc....but even at my latitude spring snow is common.

I dont have stats for the entire month of march, but i did a writeup on snowstorms at Detroit after the spring equinox. This should give other posters at similar latitudes (ORD, MKE, CLE, etc) a rough idea on their odds. Detroit averages a 3"+ snowstorm AFTER March 20th once every other year, and a 5"+ snowstorm after March 20th once every 5 years. The last time DTW saw a 3"+ snowstorm after Mar 20th was Apr 5/6, 2009 when 7.2" fell.

The region saw epically widespread warning criteria spring snowstorms in 1886, 1930, 1934, 1970, 1975, 1982, 2003, 2008, 2009 and these are just off the top of my head, not to mention the more localized ones (like 2005 here, for example).

I got a decent storm in April when I lived in Novi during 2005.

Apr 23-25, 2005...crazy storm. 3 days after record highs in the 80s.

Only if it was 3 weeks earlier would have been historic snow amounts. 12-18" fell around Northern Burbs and the Thumb. Would have been around 3 feet in some areas. It was actually a dream set up for SEMI and off course we get it on the last weekend of April. What an insult.

Apr 23-25, 2005...crazy storm. 3 days after record highs in the 80s.

Only if it was 3 weeks earlier would have been historic snow amounts. 12-18" fell around Northern Burbs and the Thumb. Would have been around 3 feet in some areas. It was actually a dream set up for SEMI and off course we get it on the last weekend of April. What an insult.

My wife's good friend lives in Fenton and she mentioned having more than a foot. It was an awesome storm.

Not a good morning for MKX.  A likely major bust with an early WSW call, then a false alarm tornado warning test.  It was supposed to be an internal test, but made it out onto the NWS site and people's phones.  Some confused people called in on the radio wondering about the tornado warning test.

Love it! Its rare to see such a deep packing snow. The best I can remember is after the 7.7" Feb 22, 2010. Usually the great packing snow is a few inches deep (and I dont like to mess with making grass show :lol: ).

Great picture!  I can tell you really enjoy the snow, as do i!!

Nice depth you got going there too.

Nice snow castle Geos.

Got down to 21 here before the clouds rolled in and thickened.  Been snowing lightly the last hour or so.  Not really adding up to much, maybe a tenth.  Small flakes, and what's there is blowing around off rooftops, etc.  The crust (3") beneath is solid as a rock from the freeze/thaw cycles.

that's freaking awesome.. would make an awesome bird and tree rat feeder.  definitely going to try and duplicate something like that next winter for feeders.

The snow developed a really nice 2" crust on itself the day it was 34° then it refroze. I can walk onto top of the snow here without punching down more than an inch/1.5". I sprayed this creation with water last night when it was 10° out. Just used a ruler, knife and a saw to cut the slabs off the top of the snowcover.

Wish this snow would have came in early January with an arctic air mass on it's heals! (The snow you got Cyclone before X-mas would have been perfect). I would add more things around it if it was earlier in the season. (Well ideas for next time around) Birds were hopping around it this morning - I threw sunflower seeds inside.

I love going to ice and snow sculpting shows. Last one I was at was in Racine earlier this season. Lake Geneva, WI usually has a really nice one as well.

Was 6° here this morning, brrr for early March. Highly filtered sun all morning. Looks like the thicker clouds are finally getting their way now.

The snow developed a really nice 2" crust on itself the day it was 34° then it refroze. I can walk onto top of the snow here without punching down more than an inch/1.5". I sprayed this creation with water last night when it was 10° out. Just used a ruler, knife and a saw to cut the slabs off the top of the snowcover.

Wish this snow would have came in early January with an arctic air mass on it's heals! (The snow you got Cyclone before X-mas would have been perfect). I would add more things around it if it was earlier in the season. (Well ideas for next time around) Birds were hopping around it this morning - I threw sunflower seeds inside.

I love going to ice and snow sculpting shows. Last one I was at was in Racine earlier this season. Lake Geneva, WI usually has a really nice one as well.

Was 6° here this morning, brrr for early March. Highly filtered sun all morning. Looks like the thicker clouds are finally getting their way now.

Thanks much for the details on how you constructed that...  I love it and would definitely try my hand at something like yours if it was earlier in the winter or wasn't going to torch after this event.

Sounds like someone is taking a constant leak with the snow melting off the north facing roof and no gutters.  annoying sound  but I guess at least we wont be adding any snow to the roof to prolong that sound later in the week.

Not a good morning for MKX.  A likely major bust with an early WSW call, then a false alarm tornado warning test.  It was supposed to be an internal test, but made it out onto the NWS site and people's phones.  Some confused people called in on the radio wondering about the tornado warning test.

It was supposed to be made public.

Other offices will be doing the same, as it's severe wx awareness/preparedness week. It happens every year, so i'm not sure why it's so surprising to everyone.

O well, right?

Just have to think.. Only 9 months to MET winter again and 4 of those 9 months we can get snow.

True! Snowcover season is done, snowfall-threat season is far from done. I was actually driving with the window cracked because i was warm in my winter coat, sun feels so warm. Snowbanks leaking/draining in all the parking lots too. Just think, 3.5 more months and the days start getting shorter :lmao:

Sounds like someone is taking a constant leak with the snow melting off the north facing roof and no gutters.  annoying sound  but I guess at least we wont be adding any snow to the roof to prolong that sound later in the week.

Yeah I better get used to that noise too! The roof snow is about the only snow that has melted since the freeze up on Thursday.

Made it to 30° under mostly cloudy skies. Had a few flurries in the last 2 hours.

Mood flakes tried to amount to 0.1" but failed. T for March looks locked in for the foreseeable future. 

Pearson Airport recorded 0.2" (0.4 cm) yesterday from these mood flakes. The same amount fell downtown, though still awaiting for the official numbers from the U of T station.

Pearson Airport recorded 0.2" (0.4 cm) yesterday from these mood flakes. The same amount fell downtown, though still awaiting for the official numbers from the U of T station.

I didn't think YYZ had a chance to catch up to downtown but it's certainly shaping up to be a race to the finish line. With wet snowfalls becoming more common over the next several weeks, Pearson and its nipher have a sporting chance.

I didn't think YYZ had a chance to catch up to downtown but it's certainly shaping up to be a race to the finish line. With wet snowfalls becoming more common over the next several weeks, Pearson and its nipher have a sporting chance.

haha i think after the Feb 8 storm the Nipher went into repairing haha. 

That nipher ****ed up snow totals for many great storms. I'm sure we didnt need the army especially if only 79cm fell in Jan 1999...i mean 76cm fell in Feb 2008....EC needs to be more realistic and use something more accurate than that Nipher thing. I'm confident 2007-08 would have been a new snowfall record beating 38-39 if the Nipher wasnt in commission. 

Hmm, after this week, things look very interesting across the board with cold anomalies present across the West and warm anomalies across the South. Quite the battle. A good recipe for storms but could be hard on the models. 

Archived