• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

snow having very little trouble competing with the late March Sun.  Been steadily increasing in intensity the past 45 min.  Driveway has about 7" so far.... expecting 4-6 additional thru tonight.

some reports:

0800 AM     HEAVY SNOW       8 W SUTTONS BAY         44.98N 85.82W

03/19/2013  E8.0 INCH        LMZ344             MI   SPOTTER

18HR TOTAL THRU 11AM.

1233 PM     SNOW             1 N WELLSTON            44.23N 85.95W

03/19/2013  M10.9 INCH       MANISTEE           MI   CO-OP OBSERVER

24 HR TOTAL THROUGH 12 NOON.

1100 AM     SNOW             CHARLEVOIX              45.32N 85.26W

03/19/2013  M6.0 INCH        CHARLEVOIX         MI   SPOTTER

18HR TOTAL THRU 11AM.

1000 AM     SNOW             EAST JORDAN             45.16N 85.13W

03/19/2013  M7.2 INCH        CHARLEVOIX         MI   SPOTTER

18HR TOTAL THRU 10AM.

It's even accumulating at a good clip down south here.    3-4" of pure dendrite fluff.  Very high ratio snow for late March. The sun will make quick work of it here though since we don't really have a base anymore.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's even accumulating at a good clip down south here.    3-4" of pure dendrite fluff.  Very high ratio snow for late March. The sun will make quick work of it here though since we don't really have a base anymore.

The fun part is watching it fall anyway.  not real concerned with keeping it around at this point.  it could all melt next week and I would be fine with it.  I'll likely have snow til at least April 10th if not longer, which isn't far from average.

The fun part is watching it fall anyway.  not real concerned with keeping it around at this point.  it could all melt next week and I would be fine with it.  I'll likely have snow til at least April 10th if not longer, which isn't far from average.

You won't have any trouble keeping it since you have over a foot of crust underneath.  It was down to bare ground most places here except for north and east facing hillsides.  The NWS is going to bust low with the totals to my SW.  Ottowa, Allegan, and SW Kent will easily top 6" before the day is over.  Ratios are more like January. This is surprising for late March.

upgraded to a warning... was kinda expecting this. locally another foot before it ends.

AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE TONIGHT
   THROUGH WEDNESDAY. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES...ESPECIALLY THIS
   EVENING...AND AGAIN ON WEDNESDAY.

* ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 9 INCHES EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH
   WEDNESDAY...WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO A FOOT POSSIBLE.

total so far 10".. snow depth is 27". going to ride my sled to charlevoix for pizza. Most likely my last time out before I put it away and pull out the 4-wheeler.

That sled isn't going anywhere till early April..

And I'm very jealous.

Overachieved at LAF today. With full sunshine tomorrow, like today, I don't think there's any chance we stay in the 20's tomorrow.

Really doesn't feel that bad out there today. Didn't even need the heat in the car. Sun FTW.

I came in at the low end of the range... 26F. My day will reflect 34/23 though, midnight high temp.

I came in at the low end of the range... 26F. My day will reflect 34/23 though, midnight high temp.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to diminish the cold overall in the region. It's fairly impressive and pretty neat in my book.

Just saying LAF was warmer today than forecasted...which isn't a total surprise. This place is a heat box.

I can't recall the last time we had a March that had snow falling so frequently before this one. 2008, maybe? Even though we haven't had a ton of accumulation, so far 13 of the past 19 days this month have had a T of snow or more, making it feel a lot wintrier than it actually has been.

That sled isn't going anywhere till early April..And I'm very jealous.

I'm not as hardcore as you. I've only logged around 300 miles and the trail is in my backyard pretty much...

Made it to charlevoix..... 22 miles one way on the trail. Perfect riding conditions with 10" of fresh powder on a packed base. Lots of drifting in open areas. Perfect way to spend the last day of Winter. Sitting at Pizza Hut and am the only customer. Charlevoix is so dead in the winter. Snowing beautifully!

HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS HAVE DEVELOPED AROUND LITTLE TRAVERSE

BAY...THRU EMMET AND CHARLEVOIX COUNTIES AND ARE NOW BEGINNING TO

BUILD SOUTH INTO ANTRIM COUNTY THIS EVENING. HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS

ARE ALSO REDEVELOPING ACROSS LEELANAU COUNTY. WILL LIKELY NEED TO

UPGRADE BOTH EMMET AND LEELANAU COUNTIES TO WARNINGS IF SNOWFALL

ACROSS THESE AREAS DO NOT DIMINISH OVER THE NEXT HOUR. LOW LEVEL

WIND FIELDS INDICATE STRONG LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE HAS SET UP

WITHIN THESE AREAS OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF HOURS. HARD TO SAY JUST

HOW LONG THIS WILL LAST...BUT DO EXPECT LOW LEVEL FLOW WILL

ULTIMATELY SHIFT TO A MORE W/NW TRAJECTORY LATER THIS EVENING

AND/OR OVERNIGHT. IN THE MEANTIME...EXPECT HEAVY SNOW WILL

CONTINUE ACROSS MUCH OF OUR HEADLINED AREAS...AND WILL ONLY NEED

TO MAKE SOME UPWARD ADJUSTMENTS TO A FEW HEADLINES AND EXPECTED

SNOW AMOUNTS BASED ON RADAR TRENDS.

I can't recall the last time we had a March that had snow falling so frequently before this one. 2008, maybe? Even though we haven't had a ton of accumulation, so far 13 of the past 19 days this month have had a T of snow or more, making it feel a lot wintrier than it actually has been.

Very true. Picked up about 2" here in the last 28 hours or so. Should stick around for a few days before the weekend finally starts to get above zero. Looks like we have a bit of a warming trend starting Friday.

Does anyone think he spring warm up will be very sudden when it finally happens?

I'd say so. March 2011 was snowy, but the frequent snowfalls weren't there.

That sled isn't going anywhere till early April..And I'm very jealous.

I'm not as hardcore as you. I've only logged around 300 miles and the trail is in my backyard pretty much...

Made it to charlevoix..... 22 miles one way on the trail. Perfect riding conditions with 10" of fresh powder on a packed base. Lots of drifting in open areas. Perfect way to spend the last day of Winter. Sitting at Pizza Hut and am the only customer. Charlevoix is so dead in the winter. Snowing beautifully!

Very stuffy place I would imagine... Not very sled friendly.

Archived