joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, I could be +6 for the month and that would still be less than what last March was. That was a 100 year type of pattern. Won't come again in our lifetimes most likely.

March has been warming faster than any other month of the year, wouldn't bet on that last part. Having said that, last year was exceptional, so we could very well have 20 more Marches before that becomes closer to normal.

Looks like a nice slop-gyre to open March with lots of cP air, Atlantic moisture (!) from the convoluted pattern, and thermodynamic profiles that are generally favorable to prime ice crystal production (deep DGZs). Any little disturbance can overperform or surprise in this pattern. I wouldn't expect any blockbuster performances, but a few 1-3" surprise events are very possible.

My least favorite month! Always hate to see it come around.

More typical March compared to last year I think.

Weather wise maybe. Sports wise however that stretch from March-April is fantastic on the bright side. Plus spring and fall are our awesome seasons in the Great Lakes, when it's actually nice to be outside. Summer and Winter just can be too brutal

I would prefer this March to be either a bit above average and stormy (wet anyway) or cold with some decent chances of snow.  Not cool and dry or Morchy and dry (ugh).  Good thing is even though I like snow, I love spring as well so I can take the retreat of winter much better for that reason.

springs can be miserable especially near the lake.  Only thing I like about it is the great sleeping weather otherwise I'd just prefer we head right in to June and be 3 months closer to fall and winter that is best.

springs can be miserable especially near the lake.  Only thing I like about it is the great sleeping weather otherwise I'd just prefer we head right in to June and be 3 months closer to fall and winter that is best.

Yeah, but our average April high is still mid 50s, which that time of year feels great coming off winter.  Also, if I recall (though it's been awhile since we had a good spring rain, almost a year) spring rains have a better smell to them (at least they should) than fall rains for instance.  Just that fresh spring air, even if a bit chilly near the lake, is a nice aspect of April/May anyway (March's constant 30s and 40s/rain/wind can be annoying if we get that).

Yeah, but our average April high is still mid 50s, which that time of year feels great coming off winter.  Also, if I recall (though it's been awhile since we had a good spring rain, almost a year) spring rains have a better smell to them (at least they should) than fall rains for instance.  Just that fresh spring air, even if a bit chilly near the lake, is a nice aspect of April/May anyway (March's constant 30s and 40s/rain/wind can be annoying if we get that).

the better smell of cold and chilly april rains does nothing to improve how miserable aprils can be near the lake if you like warmth.  Poor tropical.

the better smell of cold and chilly april rains does nothing to improve how miserable aprils can be near the lake if you like warmth.  Poor tropical.

Yes, there are exceptions (I remember really disliking May 2011, but that's because it was 40s and rain practically every single day).  I can take some of the cold rain, but when it's a nearly daily occurence right after you get out for summer break, it gets old.

Yes, there are exceptions (I remember really disliking May 2011, but that's because it was 40s and rain practically every single day).  I can take some of the cold rain, but when it's a nearly daily occurence right after you get out for summer break, it gets old.

once you get to my age, and if you still live by the lake you will realize just how terrible april is mostly.

Archived