Newest Member
    joxey
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one mans junk is other mans treasure.

So all the triumphant Morch calls that have been made certainly look to fall FLAT, and not only should it be colder than normal at least the first half of March, some record lows may fall if some of the latest GFS/Euro runs verify. So wouldnt you know with a Morch fail we go right onto "it sucks, this is worse than Morch, no exciting weather, boring, etc etc etc etc". i will take my chances with cold, thank you!

So all the triumphant Morch calls that have been made certainly look to fall FLAT, and not only should it be colder than normal at least the first half of March, some record lows may fall if some of the latest GFS/Euro runs verify. So wouldnt you know with a Morch fail we go right onto "it sucks, this is worse than Morch, no exciting weather, boring, etc etc etc etc". i will take my chances with cold, thank you!

Because it is boring. Hot and boring (death ridge) and cold and boring are both ****ty to me personally because they're both boring, simple as that.

Because it is boring. Hot and boring (death ridge) and cold and boring are both ****ty to me personally because they're both boring, simple as that.

The traditional snow locations have good snow... Let the season go on and let's reap back the lost time those places endured last year and this December's slow start.

Who said its going to be boring? Some are just assuming it will be cold and dry because they have to find something negative for the cold misers. Bottom line is many here wanted a "Morch" and severe and since its clear thats NOT happening (at least the morch part, though to what extent the cold will be is unclear) they immediately find something to negate the cold to automatically assume rather than increasing our wintry chances it will be bone dry. Just like a switch flipped from the "morch, even if its stormy it wont be snow, and on and on" attitude. There have been many wintry Marches in years past and there is no formula on any model that will change the majorities minds, because since Ive been coming to these board people have a VERY skewed opinion of March, as if it takes some unheard of pattern to get more than a wet snow that melts in a day. And the 3 of the last 4 Marches being warm has not helped that opinion.

The thing about this time of year is that there are competing interests so to speak. A substantial percentage of folks probably wouldn't mind flipping right into spring while another substantial amount would like to see winter keep rolling. The pattern looks coldish (whether it's anything extreme for the time of year remains to be seen) so that is half the battle for winter lovers. Obviously storm threats can pop up even when things aren't looking good so we'll see.

Who said its going to be boring? Some are just assuming it will be cold and dry because they have to find something negative for the cold misers. Bottom line is many here wanted a "Morch" and severe and since its clear thats NOT happening (at least the morch part, though to what extent the cold will be is unclear) they immediately find something to negate the cold to automatically assume rather than increasing our wintry chances it will be bone dry. Just like a switch flipped from the "morch, even if its stormy it wont be snow, and on and on" attitude. There have been many wintry Marches in years past and there is no formula on any model that will change the majorities minds, because since Ive been coming to these board people have a VERY skewed opinion of March, as if it takes some unheard of pattern to get more than a wet snow that melts in a day. And the 3 of the last 4 Marches being warm has not helped that opinion.

Pretty much every model in the Mid/Long Range.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that "Morch" always leads to severe, the ridge responsible can block up the pattern and prevent systems from properly ejecting east of the Plains, a progressive pattern with decently spaced out wavelengths is much favored over this (enough to reload the Gulf, but not enough to become stagnant and blocky between storm systems), and the pattern DOES look cold and dry for a decent part of this.

What a strange meltdown.

Don Sutherland just upped the ante for March.  

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37584-2012-13-winter-medium-range-discussion/?p=2158328'>http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37584-2012-13-winter-medium-range-discussion/?p=2158328

Too early to hand out kudos, but QVectorman was hinting a cold March as well, weeks ago. And mentioned March 1960 as well.

Don Sutherland just upped the ante for March.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37584-2012-13-winter-medium-range-discussion/?p=2158328

Too early to hand out kudos, but QVectorman was hinting a cold March as well, weeks ago. And mentioned March 1960 as well.

11" here that March. Something tells me to take the under this time but chances are we get something with the cold air sticking around.

March 2010

January 2013.

2 right off the top of my head.

He needs to wait and watch the evolution the 2nd week of March. If the WPO vortex undercuts the PAC and upstream blocking fades, that won't cut it in March.

Everybody's wrong sometimes. Don is one of the better non-mets...his track record speaks for itself.

Easy under. :lol:

March 1960 was pretty big for the Southeast. That would be fitting.

I know its like the dgex of LR models, but its the only weeklies I have access to. The CFS had March as an absolute torch for the last several months, but the last several weeks it has been trending colder and colder and colder. Its now quite blue. And now that its weeklies are in view, they have cold lasting straight through March for most of the CONUS. A big snowstorm can happen regardless of how warm/cold March is, and cold by no means guarentees it...but if I want to maximize my snow chances late in the season, Ill take a cold weather pattern :)

La Crosse is usually pretty good so I don't doubt them on it...

BEYOND THIS TIME PERIOD...THE ARE SIGNS IN BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWFTHAT THE 500 MB PATTERN WILL MAKE A DRAMATIC SHIFT IN THE 500 MBPATTERN AS A STRONG 500 MB RIDGE DEVELOPS ACROSS THE CENTRALUNITED STATES. THE ECMWF HAS A MUCH STRONGER RIDGE THAN THE GFS. AS ARESULT...ITS 850 MB TEMPERATURE ANOMALIES ARE STANDARD DEVIATIONARE UP TO 2 ACROSS THE DAKOTAS BY WEDNESDAY. THERE IS ACTUALLYSUPPORT FOR IN THE PACIFIC AS THE MADDEN JULIAN OSCILLATION MOVESFROM PHASE 6 TO PHASE 7. BOTH OF THESE PHASES...SUPPORT WARMTHACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF THE CONUS.[/quote]

Fri/Sat both look quite mild, at least on this run:

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%

Archived