snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back at Morch highs at DTW...

3/20: 82

3/21: 84

3/22: 86

Point and click for these days in 2013 and departure from 2012...

3/20: 31 (-51)

3/21: 33 (-51)

3/22: 37 (-49)

That's a simply amazing year over year departure.

Looking at Madison and Milwaukee comparisons will be just plain scary. 80s vs 20s for some of the week.

Here is a bit different comparison, just as shocking:

For INL:

3/17/13:  low temp -28

3/17/12:  high temp 77

So, if you were walking around town in INL drinking your St. Patrick's Day beverage of choice at 7 AM 3/17/13 vs. 4 PM on 3/17/12, you experienced a 105-degree difference.

Here is a bit different comparison, just as shocking:

For INL:

3/17/13:  low temp -28

3/17/12:  high temp 77

So, if you were walking around town in INL drinking your St. Patrick's Day beverage of choice at 7 AM 3/17/13 vs. 4 PM on 3/17/12, you experienced a 105-degree difference.

That's just insane.  Go from life threatening frostbite weather to shorts and t-shirt weather.

Maybe Tim will remember the year but I think LAF got missed to the south in April a while back.

Hmm, I don't know. Going way back, April 6, 1971 dropped 8.6" in Evansville. LAF saw nothing.

Don't think we're making the forecasted mid/upper 40's today. Topped out at 38º so far, sitting at 37º right now.

Was just thinking about how last year the Monday after Easter (4/9) I mowed, and it was overdue. This year on 3/18 I have a solid 8-12" of snowcover over most of the yard and it is the most compacted solid ice slab snow I've ever seen. Keep seeing posts all around me saying the snowcover is gone. It is alive and well in Rockford.

Short of shoveled piles, it's gone in the dekalb area.

Was just thinking about how last year the Monday after Easter (4/9) I mowed, and it was overdue. This year on 3/18 I have a solid 8-12" of snowcover over most of the yard and it is the most compacted solid ice slab snow I've ever seen. Keep seeing posts all around me saying the snowcover is gone. It is alive and well in Rockford.

If you're in RFD there's no way you still have that amount on the ground still.

The highest snow depth in the LOT CWA is around 3".

lol

Not trying to get into a snow depth debate as I dont even live in IL...but remember, snow depth is an average. And at no time is it more difficult than when sun angle comes into play or with an old snowpack. Say your side of the street had 4" and the other side of the street was bare, the depth is 2". Have to take an average. Hard to believe if the highest reported depth in LOT CWA 3", and RFD official depth 1", that some areas have 8-12" depth.

Anyway here just a T on the ground. Slushy patches. Tonight once temps drop, the remaining slush patches will freeze and lake effect kicks in. Hoping for some bands, but they will not show up well on radar. We have to rely on surrounding offices radar as DTX is upgrading their radar so its offline til march 25th. Getting the outer scope of surrounding NWS radars wont hone in on convective details, so could be some interesting times. The Spring Equinox will arrive to temps in the teens.

Any reason why DVN highlights small portions of the county for a flood warning while LOT and ILX highlight a whole county? This image just looks weird considering LOT and DVN are issuing flood warnings on the same river.

They have already started using the impact based warning system. I think the rest of the CWA's in the region start using them April 1st.

Archived