12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patiently waiting for spring to begin. 34 now, with the same slate-grey clouds we have been seeing most of this month.  (Seriously, where is the sun?)

No rain or snow in the forecast today, but, that's not so for tomorrow into Monday.  Long range shows iffy temps through the end of the month.

So with that much snow on the ground...the local streams/rivers must turn into raging rivers when the warmth does show up???  I'd love to see that.

.....with the snowmelt last week and the 1"+ of rain we had, the streams and rivers have a good flow already.  I have a feeling the melt will be so gradual it wont be too bad.  Also, LM is up too.

Looks like a fairly snowy week ahead for March standards anyway.  Will be interesting to see if we can build on the snow depth before Spring finally kicks in.

I guess i was thinking those spots that have 50 inches on the ground...but yeah...if the melt is slow (which looks to be the case for now), then hopefully a little each week can drain away.  Plus..your not trying to push huge area of snow into a river valley, like around here.

The worst area is up in North Dakota...some friends of ours live in Fargo and while looking at houses (which according to them are hugely overpriced) the realtor just rolled her eyes when they mentioned flooding (basically hinting that it will never get that bad again/as it did just a few years ago)...  the whole area is roughly the same elevation, the river flows NORTH into Canada and the ground i believe is hard clay.   They want out, but they both have very good jobs...so who knows..maybe they'll just float away :flood:

It would be fun, but it would also get old.  I couldn't imagine having to plow almost every day...finding ever new spots to put the snow would be annoying too.  I guess you appreciate summer/fall a lot more. 

My brother and his buddy think they are pulling the boat up to Internation Falls and fishing the Rainy River in 2 weeks.  I laughed.  I told him to bring ice fishing poles.

Wednesday looks pretty darn cold for this time of year. It's possible that a midnight high could screw things up but I suspect daytime temps will have trouble getting out of the 20s around here which is pretty impressive.

12z MEX has a high of 28º on Wednesday for LAF. That'd be 24º below the normal high. Wow.

Wednesday looks pretty darn cold for this time of year. It's possible that a midnight high could screw things up but I suspect daytime temps will have trouble getting out of the 20s around here which is pretty impressive.

Yup... gotta love those midnight high temps and their ability to screw up the real representation of the day.

12z MEX has a high of 28º on Wednesday for LAF. That'd be 24º below the normal high. Wow.

The negative departures this month don't quite equal the positive departures of last March, but still pretty darn impressive, especially in comparison to each other.

For example, last year on the 20th, FWA hit 84. If this year is 28, that's a 56 degree difference in high temps for the date.

WWA's up for SE IL, Southern IN, and SW OH for tomorrow (3-5"):

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN351 PM EDT SAT MAR 16 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 7 PM EDTSUNDAY....COLD AIR WILL FILTER IN FROM THE NORTH TONIGHT.MEANWHILE...STRONG LIFT AND INCREASING MOISTURE TO THE NORTH OF AFRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY WILL ALLOW FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOW STARTING OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY. 3 TO 5 INCHES STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATION EXPECTEDACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA BY SUNDAY EVENING.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN351 PM EDT SAT MAR 16 2013...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 7 PM EDTSUNDAY....COLD AIR WILL FILTER IN FROM THE NORTH TONIGHT.MEANWHILE...STRONG LIFT AND INCREASING MOISTURE TO THE NORTH OF AFRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY WILL ALLOW FOR ACCUMULATING WET SNOW STARTING OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY. 3 TO 5 INCHES STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATION EXPECTEDACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA BY SUNDAY EVENING.

Missing snow events to the south...in mid-March. I see STL is under a WWA too. Good luck to all down there.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

351 PM EDT SAT MAR 16 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 7 PM EDT

SUNDAY...

.COLD AIR WILL FILTER IN FROM THE NORTH TONIGHT.

MEANWHILE...STRONG LIFT AND INCREASING MOISTURE TO THE NORTH OF A

FRONTAL BOUNDARY ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY WILL ALLOW FOR

ACCUMULATING WET SNOW STARTING OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AND CONTINUING

THROUGH SUNDAY. 3 TO 5 INCHES STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATION EXPECTED

ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA BY SUNDAY EVENING.

Missing snow events to the south...in mid-March. I see STL is under a WWA too. Good luck to all down there.

Can't get seasonal wx, miss snow to the south, cloudy foggy days. Screw March. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Impressive how the snow stuck around today. Thought that it would burn off as soon as the radiant heat was involved. As for peoples ideas of this SNarch not that impressed. Walking into most of my clients officed today not many smiling faces. Most were disgusted with the weather, as I reminded them that Spring might be almost here but snow is fair game until April 15th or so. Look on the bright side your lot is snow free and salted....

Off to resalt for the temps  are expected to plumit this evening and any melted snow will become rock ice by the middle of the night.

From EC.....

Tonight Light snow ending early this evening then mainly cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries overnight. Wind northeast 20 km/h becoming light early this evening. Low minus 5.  

Sunday Cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries early in the morning. High zero. UV index 3 or moderate.   Sunday night Partly cloudy. 40 percent chance of snow before morning. Wind becoming east 30 km/h after midnight. Low minus 3 with temperature rising to zero by morning.  

Monday Periods of snow or rain. High plus 5.  

Tuesday Flurries. Windy. Low minus 2. High minus 2.  

Wednesday Cloudy with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 7. High minus 2.  

Thursday Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 6. High plus 1.  

Friday Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 6. High plus 1.  

Forecast looks great to me ;)

18z NAM/RGEM looking kind of interesting for Monday. They've shifted that llj/theta-e ridge derived slug of moisture further north. Considering the time of year and lack of banana arctic high pressure, I'd have thought temps would be more marginal. However, even by mid afternoon Monday, NAM has sfc temps at YYZ in the upper 20s. Fast moving, but verbatim looks like a 1-3/2-4" quick thump.

Okay, you've outdone yourself this time. Very nice spreadsheet. It will be interesting to see what the means look like at the end of the month.

I still shake my head when I look at last year's temps. The true definition of a torch.

Thanks. Yeah, should be at least a 15 degree spread between last March and this one, if not possibly 20 if the cold next week performs as expected.

What's even more impressive is that there should be a lot of sun.

Won't be too shabby. I looked at record low max temps for March 20, and they're out of sight. 18º for IND in 1885. Nutso.

0z NAM tries to do something for us late late tomorrow overnight, but surface temps are...33º.  :axe:  Freezing height and wet bulb gets close enough via dynamic cooling, but...

Archived