• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

The main confidence builder I see is the run to run consistency. The GFS was flipping between warm and cold on nearly every run, its locked into cold and hasn't thrown a single "Warm" bone in quite a few days. If there was above average temps, we would see some type of random signal.

Who knows... I prefer warmth anyhow, but I also like the idea of a strong negative anomaly after last years major positive one.

At some point tho, the cold simply becomes annoying.  Who wants 40's in April, I certainly dont.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another fail by some of the models.  GFS and RGEM had consistently showed us getting 1-2" of snow this morning.  We had 5 min of flurries. 

Up to 40 here, but just west at MLI they're 46.  Mid 50s just across the river in Iowa.

With these small microscale disturbances, hard to take any guidance verbatim as the tiniest shifts make a world of difference, sorry about that though.

34 and getting grazed here. A few flakes falling, but looking at radar...just west of here could get into some fun stuff for awhile.

Snow weenie mom sent me some photos of the snow in Kankakee. I kinda liked this one.

attachicon.gifMarch 14 snow.jpg

Looks like it belongs in N Lower Michigan or the UP with the rustic, wintry look.  Great pic!

Sparta, WI..the armpit of Wisconsin :blink:

Roads are starting to melt off nicely with the nonexistent sun.

I think the pic was more towards La Croose actually. Was snowing into MN about 25 miles or so.

Have gone from 18 at home at 6am to 54 in Mitchell, SD.

Cyclone-

Keep looking to the west...its teasing you.

71F right now in Rapid City...

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KRAP.html

36F here and we had almost all sunshine this afternoon...very nice day overall.  All the snow that fell melted.

Yeah if we're done with decent snowfall (which chances are we probably are) I'm ready for much warmer weather.  This 30s/40s crap is getting old unless we're in for some decent snow. 

Should make the low 50s for a day at least, tomorrow.

Don't know about other cities, but around here they are cutting down 100's if not 1000's of Ash trees...  They've got trees all over the city mark with bands...they took a bunch out of Pettibone and Hixon Forest (some monsters)...  Too bad...going to be a lot less shade around town.

Must be from that ash borer bug.  Don't think they've reached around here yet, as I still see a lot of ashes around.  I'm lucky enough to have a 70+yr old American Elm out front that's still healthy.  They're very rare around here now since that Dutch Elm disease took most of them out 30-40yrs ago. 

Here in the Northwest Chicago suburbs the ash trees are being cut down as fast as the cities can do it.  The ash borer is destroying them, and the towns have to cut them down before they become a hazard.  Rolling Meadows where I live has about 700 of them on the list to cut down, but they can only do about 5 per day so it's going to take a while. 

Don't know about other cities, but around here they are cutting down 100's if not 1000's of Ash trees... They've got trees all over the city mark with bands...they took a bunch out of Pettibone and Hixon Forest (some monsters)... Too bad...going to be a lot less shade around town.

Emerald Ash borer hit here about 6 years ago. It hit hard and fast. Serious destruction.

Don't know about other cities, but around here they are cutting down 100's if not 1000's of Ash trees...  They've got trees all over the city mark with bands...they took a bunch out of Pettibone and Hixon Forest (some monsters)...  Too bad...going to be a lot less shade around town.

They're cutting them down here in Toronto as well. It's a real shame. I guess they had to cut them down due to the risk of them being blown over in a storm as a result of them being weakened.

Must be from that ash borer bug.  Don't think they've reached around here yet, as I still see a lot of ashes around.  I'm lucky enough to have a 70+yr old American Elm out front that's still healthy.  They're very rare around here now since that Dutch Elm disease took most of them out 30-40yrs ago. 

Now the Dutch Elm Disease was a mean b**ch. It absolutely devastated Detroit aesthetically at the time.

Most of the residential streets in the city were lined with nothing but Elm Tres, forming stunning canopies over the street.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=9

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12132&d=1330458481

Now the Dutch Elm Disease was a mean b**ch. It absolutely devastated Detroit aesthetically at the time.

Most of the residential streets in the city were lined with nothing but Elm Tres, forming stunning canopies over the street.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=9

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/attachment.php?attachmentid=12132&d=1330458481

such a shame. would love to see those stately elm lined streets. These days most treelines streets have a variety of trees. Every once in a while I see a big elm tree here and there that has managed to survive. I wonder how many are left? Those honey locust trees seem to be the new tree of choice to line city streets.

Yeah the problem was, when Dutch Elm Disease hit back in the 50s and they cut down all the elms in the metro area, they replaced with ash trees. 

Fort Wayne cut down thousands of ash trees a couple of years ago, both in their parks and along right-of-ways. They also spent a ton of money to replace them. With last summer's drought, well, you can guess how well that went. Dead baby trees littering the city.

The Dutch Elm disease had a good side effect. Morel mushrooms love to grow around dead elm trees. The 60's was boom time for mushroom hunters in the Midwest. I remember hunting as a small child with my dad and finding patches seemingly around every dead tree.

Archived