• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

GFS has a storm threat 132hrs out now....

The long range GFS looks mega warm, until you realize it goes through to a period where our average high will be over 50.

Temps warm almost 1 degree every other day on average now.

The GFS does look warm...and wet. IWX thinks that it is too warm:

FOR THIS PACKAGE...FAVOR THE EC ENSEMBLES  BLENDED HEAVILY WITH THE CIPS ANALOGS. THE ANALOGS DID EXTREMELY WELL WITH THIS PAST EVENT AND SUGGEST THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERAL INCHES OF  SNOW EARLY NEXT WEEK. HOWEVER...NOT COMFORTABLE MAKING SWEEPING  CHANGES TOWARD THIS SCENARIO. THUS...FOR THIS PACKAGE HAVE ADDED A RAIN/SNOW MIX NORTHWEST HALF MONDAY. THE ANALOGS ALSO CONTINUE TO  INDICATE THE POTENTIAL FOR RAIN/SNOW WATER EQUIVALENT VALUES AROUND AN INCH. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 here this morning, but just northwest into eastern Iowa some places are below zero.  What a difference cloud cover/lack of cloud cover makes with fresh snow cover.

Yea I notice that this morning pretty crazy the gradient of temps

Hmm we've had about an inch accumulate this morning.

Same here, sitting on tree branches etc.

Probably about 7" snowpack if I had to estimate. Certainly interested in flood potential next week around here although the main precip dump has shiftEd about 100km southeast now.

Every single year I laugh because I see people freaking out about their average high hitting 50. And michsnowfreak is always right behind them to prove them wrong.

Here in Louisville our average high hits 50 by February 20th, but we've had some of our biggest snowstorms hit in March. Our average high hits 60 in less than two weeks and there has still been 10 six plus inch snowstorms in March.Two of them were over ten inches.

In fact we've seen a daily two plus inch snowfall at least once everyday from March 1st to 24th with the exception of one day. Our daily snowfall record is at least one inch everyday in March but two. You're way north of me so I don't want to hear about how your snow chances are dwindling because I know they aren't. I typically start tracking for severe weather after March 15th because if we do get a decent snow it won't stay for more than 12 hours.

Good post. I think those of outside the far north know lasting snowcover is done til next December. But as for a snowstorm we have a long ways to go, and frankly no pattern will show this potential. Id prefer the cold, but a dynamic spring snowstorm can pop up in a milder pattern just as easily. We have seen temps in the 80s days before (or after) a good spring snowstorm.

52. My list looks almost the same as yours except there were no gaps in February. Last year I had 11 days with 1"+ :lol:

That is simply incredible. Knew youve suffered but I didnt think it was THAT bad. That should never happen at that latitude. The low mark on record for Detroit is 10 days in 1936-37 and the 2nd lowest is 11 days in 1931-32. Actually not at home right now but I know most of the low marks were wayyyy back. You know, when the oldtimers informed us how snowcovered the ground the entire winter. Last years 20 days was my personal low mark, but per DTW stats the lowest of my lifetime was 19 days in 1988-89.

Looking forward to a nice soaking perhaps. At this time of year keeping the snowcover is not of much importance, though it would be nice.

The NAM would say no to the soaking this far east - keeping most of the rain towards DLL and gosaints. I'd like to see the snow pack stay till the equinox. Soak the ground now and you a less chance of a repeat performance of last summer.

Edit: Really clouding up now.

The NAM would say no to the soaking this far east - keeping most of the rain towards DLL and gosaints. I'd like to see the snow pack stay till the equinox. Soak the ground now and you a less chance of a repeat performance of last summer.

Edit: Really clouding up now.

La  crosse has a nice write up about the frost in the ground this year.  They say there is a layer of concrete frost this year that basically no mositure will penetrate so any moisture we get will basically be useless in drought terms

La  crosse has a nice write up about the frost in the ground this year.  They say there is a layer of concrete frost this year that basically no mositure will penetrate so any moisture we get will basically be useless in drought terms

At least the wet pattern looks to continue, so eventually the water will get into the ground. Near rivers and streams the water table will be able to be recharged this weekend.

The current scene here. Some nice 2' drifts in my neighbors backyard.

Archived