northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2013 General Disco

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is simply incredible. Knew youve suffered but I didnt think it was THAT bad. That should never happen at that latitude. The low mark on record for Detroit is 10 days in 1936-37 and the 2nd lowest is 11 days in 1931-32. Actually not at home right now but I know most of the low marks were wayyyy back. You know, when the oldtimers informed us how snowcovered the ground the entire winter. Last years 20 days was my personal low mark, but per DTW stats the lowest of my lifetime was 19 days in 1988-89.

Thankfully, the past is the past.

The NAM would say no to the soaking this far east - keeping most of the rain towards DLL and gosaints. I'd like to see the snow pack stay till the equinox. Soak the ground now and you a less chance of a repeat performance of last summer.

Edit: Really clouding up now.

It's the NAM outside 48 hours, enough said.

34°, mostly cloudy here. About 3" snow is left. A year ago we had 65°. Remember that warm March last year? It sure made all the buds come out then the freeze killed all the fruit crops in Michigan. I am about ready for a thunderstorm though being any snowstorms don't look to be on horizon. lol

It's the NAM outside 48 hours, enough said.

Lol. Usually it's the one that's hyped on moisture though. But will see. Skilling said don't expect rain until dinner time Saturday this far east. Sounds like lots of fog coming up.

I've decided March is still Winter here.  hasn't gotten out of the 20's all day, low clouds and flurries as well.

Have had some visitors all day long.  I took this one when they first came, and now they have pecked an 18" hole in the snow all the way to the ground. They poop like every 5 minutes too.

Also look up in the tree.  It's Woody, a pileated woodpecker that's hung around all Winter for suet.

Lol. Usually it's the one that's hyped on moisture though. But will see. Skilling said don't expect rain until dinner time Saturday this far east. Sounds like lots of fog coming up.

Yeah, the models are in disagreement for sure, but the point I was trying to make about the NAM was the axis of the greatest QPF is likely off, hence the smaller amounts here and in your 'hood.  The GFS Ensembles are further SE with the precip band, hence some higher amounts.

Good post. I think those of outside the far north know lasting snowcover is done til next December. But as for a snowstorm we have a long ways to go, and frankly no pattern will show this potential. Id prefer the cold, but a dynamic spring snowstorm can pop up in a milder pattern just as easily. We have seen temps in the 80s days before (or after) a good spring snowstorm.

Personally, I'd like a storm like early April 1975. That must have been absolutely incredible to behold. Closest we came to a repeat was early April 2003.

My snowpack is still holding. According to EC, Markham Buttonville had about 11" left on the ground, and I'd guess it's about the same at my place.

I've decided March is still Winter here.  hasn't gotten out of the 20's all day, low clouds and flurries as well.

Have had some visitors all day long.  I took this one when they first came, and now they have pecked an 18" hole in the snow all the way to the ground. They poop like every 5 minutes too.

Also look up in the tree.  It's Woody, a pileated woodpecker that's hung around all Winter for suet.

attachicon.gif2713.JPG

Turkey's!

Awesome picture. I have seen some pheasants around here, but none of them guys lately. There are Downy and Red-Bellied woodpeckers hanging around this winter.

Looks like 36° will do it for today. Sun is well hidden behind mid-level clouds now.

attachicon.gif2713.JPG

I swear every time I am up North I see wild turkeys but around our cabin we see none.

Personally, I'd like a storm like early April 1975. That must have been absolutely incredible to behold. Closest we came to a repeat was early April 2003.

My snowpack is still holding. According to EC, Markham Buttonville had about 11" left on the ground, and I'd guess it's about the same at my place.

So you've gone from 6" to 8" to 11" snowcover in the last three days without the benefit of snowfall. Amazing :lol:

I swear every time I am up North I see wild turkeys but around our cabin we see none.

Turkeys up north have declined substantially.. The DNR is actively reintroducing turkeys up north to boost the population.

I have tons of turkeys near my home though, I would really like to eat one for thanksgiving instead of store bought.

Snow pack at 15.5" here now. Light wind turned off the lake dropped it to freezing already here. Potholes are forming everywhere - haven't seen this many since spring of 08. Probably one every 30 feet on most roads.

Edit: A picture of the sun through the trees today at about 4:30pm.

So you've gone from 6" to 8" to 11" snowcover in the last three days without the benefit of snowfall. Amazing :lol:

It's probably closer to 6-8", but it's hard to tell given snow mounds. Certainly more than 4" though. I think I'll lose a lot of it over the next couple of days.

It looks like it's bare ground in the Oakville/Burlington area, judging from traffic cameras.

Geos-

Come to La Crosse...they are horrible.  Even I 90 has a huge one that I hit almost every single day because i forget about it.   Hwy 16 out by the mall area feels like rumble strips... There is a giant one down on the north end of town that I thought bent my rim...that was weeks ago and its still not fixed...  On tv they were showing crews filling them with hot black crap...doubt it lasts very long. 

I'm leaving some plants outside in my greenhouse (unheated)...   lettuce/cabbage/onion seedlings...they should be fine (i covered them)...showing 17F for a low tonite.

Wow...never knew South Bend avg that much snow..i take it that is mostly lake effect?

Just a hair under 48 inches here which is above the normal... 

Yeah, definitely LE. LaPorte and St. Joseph Counties are the place to be for snow in IN.

Archived