northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 25-26 Winter Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. This event is not December 1974 (not even close I imagine).

2. I'm pretty sure what Harry meant by "the one", which was likely in sarcasm, was a warning criteria snowfall. Aside from December 26th, which was a completely different setup, we haven't had any warning criteria snowfalls since February 2011, mostly due to the poor synoptic pattern. Based on the aforementioned and the marginal setup this time around, it's much safer to assume we won't see warning criteria snowfall this time around either.

But somehow, we'll manage to get another 1-4".

Was using Dec 1974 for a temp reference, not in any way trying to imply this is a redux :lol:

Temps are definitely marginal, but keep this in mind. Often times when a models text output has you at 33F with snow, during the snow the dynamic cooling turns it to 31F and snow.

Im not saying we will get buried with snow, but Im starting to like potential here. We may exceed our seasonal average by Feb 27th here. Now, as long as the snow rates dont get obscene (which they likely won't), the main roads will probably be ok (wet/slushy) unlike the disaster they were yesterday morning. But a nice, thick carpet of heart attack snow is certainly a DECENT possibility.

This is by far our most thread the needle event of the winter, probably several years, so Im paying a lot more attention to model ptype outputs than usual. Im curious...ae they usually accurate? Biases?

It would appear that the NAM, GFS, and EURO ptypes would indicate some mix but mostly snow, while the GEM would indicate some mix/snow but mostly rain for here.

It has been the best model all year.  This is a rain to light snow event....SE MI might be far enough east of the occlusion to stay mostly snow but it's a non-event for MBY.

hmm..funny, that map looks even better for my area of SWMI. Cha-ching!  and yeah, the lake just kills you on marginal temp scenarios..

as for the GFS. Its done better (best) all year and we've done poorly so time for a new day and it can stink while our season ticks up..

The potential is there, but temperatures are going to make it soo close. Maybe this will be like that storm we had ironically, I think 3 years ago today or yesterday. It was 31-32F with heavy snow all day. I think Monroe ticked up to 34 and it rained most of the time, but we had all snow here and got 6-9".

Another system with weakening baroclinicity and early occlusion.  It's funny in January the problem was always the northern stream westerlies being too fast to allow proper phasing.  With a raging polar vortex over Canada we couldn't buy a negatively tilted system.  Now it's the opposite problem.  Now the STJ has been screaming ahead leaving the rest of the system in the dust.  There is no happy medium.

This thing might bring some of the coldest rain I've ever seen. :lol: Despite the cold air being "stale", we will have low level easterly flow for much of the event which means that temps will not be in a hurry to rise and any colder shifts could spell a significant round of freezing rain before temps warm up enough. Maybe we can get a little snow with the wraparound.

This thing might bring some of the coldest rain I've ever seen. :lol: Despite the cold air being "stale", we will have low level easterly flow for much of the event which means that temps will not be in a hurry to rise and any colder shifts could spell a significant round of freezing rain before temps warm up enough. Maybe we can get a little snow with the wraparound.

It's gonna be close. Just a bit cooler and we have mostly snow...

DPA

TUE 18Z 26-FEB   -0.7    -3.5    1002      91      97    0.29     542     540   
WED 00Z 27-FEB   0.3    -2.6    1000      95      94    0.22     536     536   
WED 06Z 27-FEB   0.3    -2.1    1000      97      80    0.13     534     534   
WED 12Z 27-FEB   0.2    -3.4    1002      97      85    0.02     534     533  

Could be a concrete mixer coming.  I might buy an advisory type event, but ratios will be crappy for anything more for the likes of DVN, MKX and LOT.

If it's anything like the system a couple weeks ago, then there will be members that are buried!

Archived