northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 25-26 Winter Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the dates of the top of my head, but a couple years back, we had a WSW for 4-8" of snow. There was a small chance that rain would mix in, but GRR discounted that it would last long enough to limit accumulations much. I was stoked... started off as light snow, then there was more "mist" than snow hitting the windshield. I figured it'd only last a little bit. I remember getting out of work and there was no snow to be found, except the old dirty piles. A moderate rain, and temperature in my jeep said 33.

Haha, what a let down that one was.

One thing that does look certain, it's going to sit and spin over the GL with light precip on the backside for a couple of days. Looks to be what we've experienced several times in this area this year, lots of light snow/flurries with little accumulation. Just enough to give it that 'wintry' look.

One thing that does look certain, it's going to sit and spin over the GL with light precip on the backside for a couple of days. Looks to be what we've experienced several times in this area this year, lots of light snow/flurries with little accumulation. Just enough to give it that 'wintry' look.

With such a strong signal for synoptic wraparound lasting for days, dont be so sure its the trace variety. Could very well be a long duration accumulating snow after the main show has passed. It will probably do no harm to the roadways but the snowpack will slowly grow deeper.

Could be quite miserable. :lol:

Also possible...but LAF has this weird tendency to hold onto enough "lower warmth" to eliminate flakes. ;)

You'll have my condolences either way.  It is possible to get wet flakes with temperatures reaching the mid 30s, but it's not exactly riveting when it's melting as fast as it comes down.  I'd almost prefer freezing rain over slush balls that melt on contact.  Who knows though, it could still be cold enough to accumulate later on even if it starts out wet.  I wouldn't underestimate the potential for a quick accumulation if it comes down hard enough.

Forecasts around here are still showing marginal temps at best.

Last forecast I saw had the Mon-Thurs temps at, or near 40 degrees.  However, last night, Jerry Taft said "accumulating snow" in reference to this storm, so, we shall see.  I worry about the marginal temps, more than anything else.  I can easily see 3 to 4 inches of concrete from this..

when reading LOT's afternoon AFD, it sure doesn't sound like they're convinced at all about this being a snow maker. I lost count how many times I read the word 'mix'.

Strange disco to be honest. Well, not all of it but I had trouble following certain parts.

FREEZING RAIN OR RAIN IS EXPECTED AS FLOW FROM THE SURFACE THROUGH THE MID LEVELS WILL BE OUT OF THE EAST. WITH MUCH DRIER AIR BEING ADVECTED IN...THINKING THE COLUMN WILL NOT SATURATE AS QUICKLY AS GUIDANCE SUGGESTS. ALSO...GULF MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM COULD AIDE IN KEEPING PRECIP LIQUID ALOFT. USED 34 DEGREES AS THE CUTOFF BETWEEN RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX.

PRECIP WILL CONTINUE TO MARCH NORTH OVERNIGHT SPREADING ACROSS THE WHOLE CWA. THE WARM SECTOR OF THE LOW IS ALSO OVER THE CWA. AREAS NORTHWEST OF A HIGHLAND PARK TO AMBOY LINE WILL MOST LIKELY SEE ALL SNOW THROUGHOUT THIS EVENT DUE TO COOLER TEMPS ALOFT. AREAS TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THIS LINE WILL GET THE WINTER SLOP AS MY COLLEAGUES SAY. GOING WITH A FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX. MODEL SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THERE WILL BE SATURATION THROUGH THE DGZ WITH THE WARM LAYER REACHING TEMPS LESS THAN 3 DEGREES INDICATING ICE PELLETS AND SNOW. HOWEVER FACTORING IN THE DRY EASTERLY FLOW BEING ADVECTED IN AND THE GULF MOISTURE...EXPECTING ADDITIONAL WARMING ALOFT.

Strange disco to be honest. Well, not all of it but I had trouble following certain parts.

FREEZING RAIN OR RAIN IS EXPECTED AS FLOW FROM THE SURFACE THROUGH THE MID LEVELS WILL BE OUT OF THE EAST. WITH MUCH DRIER AIR BEING ADVECTED IN...THINKING THE COLUMN WILL NOT SATURATE AS QUICKLY AS GUIDANCE SUGGESTS. ALSO...GULF MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM COULD AIDE IN KEEPING PRECIP LIQUID ALOFT. USED 34 DEGREES AS THE CUTOFF BETWEEN RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX.

PRECIP WILL CONTINUE TO MARCH NORTH OVERNIGHT SPREADING ACROSS THE WHOLE CWA. THE WARM SECTOR OF THE LOW IS ALSO OVER THE CWA. AREAS NORTHWEST OF A HIGHLAND PARK TO AMBOY LINE WILL MOST LIKELY SEE ALL SNOW THROUGHOUT THIS EVENT DUE TO COOLER TEMPS ALOFT. AREAS TO THE SOUTHEAST OF THIS LINE WILL GET THE WINTER SLOP AS MY COLLEAGUES SAY. GOING WITH A FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX. MODEL SOUNDINGS SUGGEST THERE WILL BE SATURATION THROUGH THE DGZ WITH THE WARM LAYER REACHING TEMPS LESS THAN 3 DEGREES INDICATING ICE PELLETS AND SNOW. HOWEVER FACTORING IN THE DRY EASTERLY FLOW BEING ADVECTED IN AND THE GULF MOISTURE...EXPECTING ADDITIONAL WARMING ALOFT.

Another one for Baum to add to his sig.

Archived