joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did a snow survey of my two snow plots as this is one of the NWS survey weeks...

3,000ft High Road NWS ID: HRDV1 (SHEF)

Snow Depth: 52 inches at the stake and generally 48-54” via Adirondack Snow Sampler.

Liquid Water: 14.5” liquid (all cores pretty consistent there so high confidence in that amount).

1,550ft Barnes Camp NWS ID: BRNV1 (SHEF)

Snow Depth: 26” at stake and a more variable 24-30 inch depths found via Snow Sampler.

Liquid Water: 8.0” liquid (less confident in this amount with variance from 7.5-9”).

One of the funny things that happened, which would've been hilarious to watch, was I was trying to get a branch off a tree to clear out the snow sampler tube (the snow/ice gets packed in there pretty good) and as I got close to the tree, the snow started to cave in.  In classic tree-well style I went down to my thighs, but then as I tried to get out (you are not supposed to make quick movements when you fall in a tree well) the entire snowpack collapsed and I went down to my armpits, 5 feet down.  It was quite the struggle to crawl out of this, more than I would've thought.  It makes me think that if you happen to fall on skis or something up here and end up head first in a tree well, you are completely screwed.

Glad you made it out, Freak. 

I can relate.  A few years ago I was skiing some fairly deep stuff slightly out of bounds at Burke and got tripped up on something under the snow (branch?).  I ended up face-planting into a spruce-well but my right ski got caught between two smaller trees just up hill (a benefit of skiing on 200s?  ;) ) which, while wrenching my knee a little bit, actually kept me from going in the well completely.  I was kind dangling there, upside down with my head & shoulders in the well and the rest of me just outside of and above it.   I was able to barely reach my binding with the tip of my pole and just get enough umph on it to release.  When I did though, I slid into the well some more but luckily fetched up before I was fully engulfed.  With some struggle and effort, I was able to pull myself out relatively unscathed.  Not a nice feeling out where I was and by myself.  If it got real bad, I was certainly within shouting distance of the farthest trail on skiers right…

Glad you made it out, Freak. 

I can relate.  A few years ago I was skiing some fairly deep stuff slightly out of bounds at Burke and got tripped up on something under the snow (branch?).  I ended up face-planting into a spruce-well but my right ski got caught between two smaller trees just up hill (a benefit of skiing on 200s?  ;) ) which, while wrenching my knee a little bit, actually kept me from going in the well completely.  I was kind dangling there, upside down with my head & shoulders in the well and the rest of me just outside of and above it.   I was able to barely reach my binding with the tip of my pole and just get enough umph on it to release.  When I did though, I slid into the well some more but luckily fetched up before I was fully engulfed.  With some struggle and effort, I was able to pull myself out relatively unscathed.  Not a nice feeling out where I was and by myself.  If it got real bad, I was certainly within shouting distance of the farthest trail on skiers right…

I was never worried, haha, (plus I've always got a radio strapped to my chest with mountain dispatch, patrol dispatch, or Lamoille County) but its just amazing when you are walking on the surface you don't really notice just how deep it is, even with a snowstake telling you its 5 feet deep right there.  You finally comprehend it when you are standing on the ground and the snow is up around your shoulders, lol.  As far as I know though, there hasn't been a serious tree-well incident on the mountain (knock on wood) in a very long time. 

Speaking of which, the professional rescuers in this area are something else.  We are all lucky to live in an area with such well-trained folks.  Earlier this season DART 1 landed at the mountain in like 50mph winds and those pilots were nothing short of impressive.  Listening to those guys on the radio was impressive and he put the bird down like it was a calm, 70 degree day in June.  Within like an hour of a serious injury you can be on an operating table at Dartmouth-Hitchcock or Fletcher Allen in Burlington...SAR keeps getting better and more efficient.

That's just me being lazy.

It's a cool little lake, btw.  My father and I canoed it many years ago.  It has a great swampy inlet that was fun to paddle around.  Saw a particularly large loon near the back shore who was fearless and surfaced maybe 25-30 feet away-- close enough to see the deep red eye color.

Miscellaneous comment:

greenhouse is 82.... sun angle is high enough now to heat it up even through 90% overcast.

It's a cool little lake, btw.  My father and I canoed it many years ago.  It has a great swampy inlet that was fun to paddle around.  Saw a particularly large loon near the back shore who was fearless and surfaced maybe 25-30 feet away-- close enough to see the deep red eye color.

Miscellaneous comment:

greenhouse is 82.... sun angle is high enough now to heat it up even through 90% overcast.

You sitting in a lounge chair in there using WiFi?

0.2" this morning brings me past last year's season total.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a lot of the NNE folks over the past couple of weeks reporting that they have hit last season’s total.  We’re 3.0” away from last year’s total at our location, so we’re getting pretty close.  Average snowfall would have us hitting that mark on Feb 20, but we’re a couple weeks behind that pace at the moment.

I was never worried, haha, (plus I've always got a radio strapped to my chest with mountain dispatch, patrol dispatch, or Lamoille County) but its just amazing when you are walking on the surface you don't really notice just how deep it is, even with a snowstake telling you its 5 feet deep right there.  You finally comprehend it when you are standing on the ground and the snow is up around your shoulders, lol.  As far as I know though, there hasn't been a serious tree-well incident on the mountain (knock on wood) in a very long time. 

Dropped into tree wells not infrequently when I lived in Ft. Kent and worked in the NW Maine woods, especially when refreshing town lines, which always seemed to run through doghair thickets of 4-8' tall spruce-fir.  Came up one time with a thoroughly broken snowshoe, which made the walk out rather interesting.  While living in the back settlement of FK, I discovered a non-tree well in the woods across the street from my house.  My left foot began punching down thru, and within a couple seconds I had my arms outstretched in the snow (about 4' deep) with the right snowshoe against my face and the left one dangling in space below - how much space, I had no idea.  Several minutes of wriggling got me out safely; the old well was only 4-5' deep, though dropping into it would've broken snowshoes and perhaps more.

Noted that your cores seemed rather dense for on the mountain, 28% water at 3,000' and about 31% at 1,500'.  Is that the usual range for early March?  The core I measured last Sunday (at 390') came to 34% water (19" snow/6.48" water), and 25% or so is more the usual before the melt-off begins in earnest. 

I am still happy I was in Williston for winter's biggest single event  :) Also the addded 8.5" 2 days later was an incredible bonus.  It had been a long time since I saw a 20" depth. It also helped me from losing my mind down here LOL. Even by our standards it was a horrid second consecutive year.

It's a cool little lake, btw. My father and I canoed it many years ago. It has a great swampy inlet that was fun to paddle around. Saw a particularly large loon near the back shore who was fearless and surfaced maybe 25-30 feet away-- close enough to see the deep red eye color.

Miscellaneous comment:

I canoed it as well. It's a scenic lake for sure.

We cleared off for a while last night and actually had a nice show of stars before the clouds rolled back in.  I feel like it's been weeks since we've had a nice clear night.

Temps dropped here during the clearning but rose again as the clouds covered things up.

I have a bad feeling for SNE with this next system.  I started to wonder yesterday how much this persistent easterly flow might throw a monkey wrench into things....

In the process of finding the nearest bridge to jump off of.

:weenie:

Our town meeting went for 8 1/2 hours yesterday.  Pretty much ready to join you on a bridge at the end of it.

I hope our friends to the south get a nice snow tomorrow though looking at WV and IR I wonder how this makes it up the coast into that block.

I enjoyed this from this morning BTV AFD:

IDEAL TEMPERATURES FOR MAPLE SAP TO RUN ARE EXPECTED WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S TO LOWER 40S SAT/SUN/MON...    AND LOWS IN THE MID 20S TO LOWER 30S SAT/SUN NIGHTS.

I hope our friends to the south get a nice snow tomorrow though looking at WV and IR I wonder how this makes it up the coast into that block.

I enjoyed this from this morning BTV AFD:

My thoughts exactly.  To my untrained eye, it already looks like it's getting shunted some.

Time'll tell.

Our town meeting went fairly long too but not 8 hours, lol.  ;)

Unlike Allenson and klw, my town does not have a traditional town meeting so since I had the day off, I took a snowmobile ride with my son.  We covered quite a bit of Washington County and into a little bit of Lamoille and Caledonia. I have a couple of pictures, excuse the quality.  They were taken with the iPhone by someone with poor photography skills - me!

This first one is a long range shot of the east side of the Worcester Range, taken from a field in Middlesex.

post-363-0-43676000-1362575776_thumb.jpg

This next one shows that there is some nice snow depth at elevation.  This is on Woodbury Mt. between Elmore, Worcester and Woodbury.  I think the elevation is around 2000" give or take a couple of hundred feet.  Anyone who snowmobiles will immediately recognize That I stumbled upon a dream, freshly groomed trail without even a track on it yet.

post-363-0-76978300-1362576123_thumb.jpg

This last one was taken when I was almost home.  Looking from Barre Town east towards the Knox Range and what I think is Butterfield Mt. 

post-363-0-81922500-1362576461_thumb.jpg

It was a beautiful day to be out and about in Vermont yesterday.  Plenty of snow, especially at elevations above 1200' or so.  Temps were in the 30's so it was comfortable.

Nice shots mreaves.  Can't tell if that's Butterfield or not.  I'm used to seeing that range from a different view.  ;)

Butterfield is the highest point in Orange Co. and Signal, right next to it, is the highest point in Caledonia Co., beating Burke Mountain by <100'.

Man, the 12Z NAM is trying to punch some love up this way again for tomorrow night into Friday morning.  I won't complain if it comes to pass....

Nice shots mreaves.  Can't tell if that's Butterfield or not.  I'm used to seeing that range from a different view.  ;)

Butterfield is the highest point in Orange Co. and Signal, right next to it, is the highest point in Caledonia Co., beating Burke Mountain by <100'.

Man, the 12Z NAM is trying to punch some love up this way again for tomorrow night into Friday morning.  I won't complain if it comes to pass....

Then that would be Butterfield, since it was the more southerly of the two.  From my vantage on this side of the hill, it's Spruce Peak, Signal and Butterfield, left to right.

As far as more snow, I won't complain but it's starting to get to be that time when I'm looking towards the end.  I think it would be more acurate to say that I dread the in between.  Ilike the snow and I like dry ground, it is the month or more that it takes to get there that I dread.  I would like to be able to pick a date and switch overnight, skipping mud season.

Nam shmam. 

show us the goods already.  I've had enough "potential"

Noted that your cores seemed rather dense for on the mountain, 28% water at 3,000' and about 31% at 1,500'.  Is that the usual range for early March?  The core I measured last Sunday (at 390') came to 34% water (19" snow/6.48" water), and 25% or so is more the usual before the melt-off begins in earnest. 

I don't have a period of record long enough to tell if its normal or not, but Greg Hanson (Senior Hydrologist at BTV) told me a couple weeks ago during a previous survey that around 30% seemed right.  Since that core the snowpack has gone up about but the liquid ratio has stayed pretty similar.  Last year was the only other year I did cores and my records show a similar snowfall season to-date with a similar snowpack (really up here the two seasons haven't been all that different in terms of snowfall, which is why we are all just hitting last year's totals and it stopped snowing about this time last year), and I was mid-teens in terms of liquid inches up there in March. 

This snowpack is rather "stout" with a lot of liquid in it relative to depth.  Either way, the Adirondack snow sampler seemed calibrated fine and I was getting regular 14-15 inch liquid amounts with no organic matter in the tube, so I have a pretty high confidence in that 3,014ft core number.  For whatever reason, I can sometimes have issues getting the whole core to stay in the tube, especially when the pack is getting close to the size of the 5-foot tube, but the snow yesterday stayed no problem. 

Now if we get more snow prior to a melt, I ran into the problem last March where the depth was over 60-inches and you have to try to pack the snow down into the tube with a fist as carefully as possible to get it all.  This pack really isn't much different from last year at this time, and we did have a stretch late Feb-early March last year where my 3,000ft plot got 5 feet in 8 days, so that got it up higher than where it is now, only to melt ridiculously fast during the March heat wave.

Watching the 3/12-3/14 period for a storm system. Could cut west though. Euro had a decent event the last two runs. That may be the storm I  have been alluding to for the last month that would basically end the season for us synoptically in terms of significant snow.

Sad part is, most guidance has it raining in NNE.

Archived