Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty far out in the future, but a "cutter" isn't necessarily awful for some parts of the region.  It just isn't an all snow solution.  Looks to be a pretty decent cold airmass in place before, so we could be looking at the day after Christmas scenario.  Of course, its too far out to really discuss.

Big storm with well-modeled high-lattitude blocking...  this should be in the Euro's wheehouse then, no?  Little bit concerned why it apparently showed no hint of said event (i haven't looked at the model, just commenting on others' commentary).

it has the hint of something but it's too far offshore.

it has the hint of something but it's too far offshore.

Thanks for that.

zwyts should be more of a cheerleader for these runs. His February forecast is on the line as is the CWG forecast. It needs to snow in February

Whether it snows or not, the fact that he cited the potential for Feb with his back-loaded winter call and nailed the warmer-than-average Dec - Jan periods (if not the magnitude) for a seasonal outlook was damn impressive in my book.

zwyts should be more of a cheerleader for these runs. His February forecast is on the line as is the CWG forecast. It needs to snow in February

I think you have to have some cognitive dissonance with these things. A broad brush outlook doesn't mean that a certain discrete threat will come to fruition. I'm certainly not punting my outlook, but it doesnt mean any particular storm will adjust at the last minute because analogs say so...nobody was sweet on 2/13 until the GFS showed us getting pasted..it didnt look like anything good lagged the front until that run...most of us liked the upcoming period better...

Archived