• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2013 mid-long range disco thread Part 2

yoda

Lol,  certainly in his own mind, and probably in the minds of most here until I actually get excited about a storm threat. Then you'll all love me again. 

It's going to be a rough few years for you.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont like any threat for our latitude that is a late developer that requires a timed phase...they usually trend north and develop too late or go OTS

we need an overrunning component...1/25/00's are extremely rare

That's what I hated about the gfs this morning. The evolution as depicted is highly improbable. The way precip blossoms just to our southwest is way too risky. Even 1/25/2000 was already a well esstablished system, just a matter of coming up or not. When it comes to depending on a sysytem to literally mature when it's on our doorsteps painfully reminds of 12/30/2000. There can always be a precedent, but I agree we need an overrunning component.

That's what I hated about the gfs this morning. The evolution as depicted is highly improbable. The way precip blossoms just to our southwest is way too risky. Even 1/25/2000 was already a well esstablished system, just a matter of coming up or not. When it comes to depending on a sysytem to literally mature when it's on our doorsteps painfully reminds of 12/30/2000. There can always be a precedent, but I agree we need an overrunning component.

It's a really sharp trough though with some ull energy. Just not robust early on. Look @ 700. Good pull off the gulf and lift. It could be multiple vorts for all we know. One that pull modest overrunning followed by one that blows up (or a total whiff. it's tough to expect a good solution anytime soon). 

Anytime you get a sharp trough like this from the arctic circle all the way to the gom, many things can happen. It's kinda why I've been scratching my head a little with the euro. Looks prime @ 500 overall but nothing active of note anywhere until the trough swings through and things start popping where only a snow weenie on a fishing boat would care. 

We can do well with phased solutions but we need the northern branch to be digging in, slowing down, and for the phase to begin well south of our lattitude.  These screaming west to east lakes vorts phasing off the mid atlantic coast are a lost cause for us usually.  We need a northern system that is digging down the west side of a trough and phases into a STJ system.  Those are our big dogs. 

What are your thoughts for our area on Wednesday night. I think we have a decent chances for several inches.

What are your thoughts for our area on Wednesday night. I think we have a decent chances for several inches.

I think we are in a good spot, so long as expectations are reasonable.  This doesn't look like a major snow, but a couple inches in our area seems possible.  I don't see much reason this gets suppressed, the northern branch is not squashing as much right now, and the globals are starting to pick up on that.  I also think we have just enough elevation in our area that these marginal events can work out for us pretty well.  I think a small accumulation is very possible and even and outside chance at a moderate 3-5" thump event if we get a NAM like solution.  I am trying to keep it low key since I know how much the DC area people are suffering right now, but I do like our area for the VD threat. 

euro ens mean offshore as well for everyone. looks like we get about .1" with the front or something.

that "ghost" reflection of precip on the ensemble can be a good thing, its possible its from a few ensemble runs hinting at a more amplified solution giving that precip there for no apparent reason.  Or like you said its just a front. 

It's a really sharp trough though with some ull energy. Just not robust early on. Look @ 700. Good pull off the gulf and lift. It could be multiple vorts for all we know. One that pull modest overrunning followed by one that blows up (or a total whiff. it's tough to expect a good solution anytime soon). 

Anytime you get a sharp trough like this from the arctic circle all the way to the gom, many things can happen. It's kinda why I've been scratching my head a little with the euro. Looks prime @ 500 overall but nothing active of note anywhere until the trough swings through and things start popping where only a snow weenie on a fishing boat would care. 

Yeah, I'm confused because I would have figured the Euro would have been the one model to show something while the GFS would be high and dry. The trough is very deep, so the meteorology with this set up is over my head. Whether theres a storm or not I was surprised the 2 meter temps were not colder for the weekend on today's Euro. With such a sharp trough and low thicknesses I would have expected colder readings.

that "ghost" reflection of precip on the ensemble can be a good thing, its possible its from a few ensemble runs hinting at a more amplified solution giving that precip there for no apparent reason.  Or like you said its just a front. 

in this case i think it's a front. it was showing up on the op on and off plus the precip is before the main event gets going offshore. 

I think we are in a good spot, so long as expectations are reasonable.  This doesn't look like a major snow, but a couple inches in our area seems possible.  I don't see much reason this gets suppressed, the northern branch is not squashing as much right now, and the globals are starting to pick up on that.  I also think we have just enough elevation in our area that these marginal events can work out for us pretty well.  I think a small accumulation is very possible and even and outside chance at a moderate 3-5" thump event if we get a NAM like solution.  I am trying to keep it low key since I know how much the DC area people are suffering right now, but I do like our area for the VD threat. 

Yeah, I didn't want to say too much either knowing how frustrating it's been for many. I always root for everyone in the region to do well so maybe things will improve a little for areas further south and everyone can get lucky.

Haven't really looked at the soundings for our generally area was wondering if you have? I'm guessing we are pretty toasty as well where we need some good rates to overcome the BL?

Haven't really looked at the soundings for our generally area was wondering if you have? I'm guessing we are pretty toasty as well where we need some good rates to overcome the BL?

Only the NAM, we are around 33 degrees during most of the precip at the surface and well below all layers above it, we would be snow.  I would say anyone above 500 feet north of a line from Harpers Ferry to Reisterstown to West Chester would be just about all snow and probably not have much trouble accumulating.  It would be very wet so 10-1 ratios at best  but still...something.  NAM would actually be a nice 5" type wet thump in our area, especially the higher hills around your area.  From now on though I will only respond to VD storm stuff in the other thread, dont want to mess things up over here.  Besides I doubt the majority of people from the area to our south want to hear about our snow potential. 

Only the NAM, we are around 33 degrees during most of the precip at the surface and well below all layers above it, we would be snow.  I would say anyone above 500 feet north of a line from Harpers Ferry to Reisterstown to West Chester would be just about all snow and probably not have much trouble accumulating.  It would be very wet so 10-1 ratios at best  but still...something.  NAM would actually be a nice 5" type wet thump in our area, especially the higher hills around your area.  From now on though I will only respond to VD storm stuff in the other thread, dont want to mess things up over here.  Besides I doubt the majority of people from the area to our south want to hear about our snow potential. 

Thanks. Lost track and thought we were in the VD discussion. My bad. :)

Archived