wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 8/9 Blizzard of 13' Images

TalcottWx

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Redsoxdude, if you measured 25-30" on the level after the event had ended, then I'd add a good 2-3" to that in order to account for compaction.

Yeah, that's what I did, took the average and added 2-3" for a total of 30".  

Taunton ended up tossing Kevin's 35" report anyway and replaced it with 30.5", lol.

• 4 months later...

I have spoken with a number of people over the past several months from the meriden/Wallingford areas and they all say the depth was close to three feet on the level and one guy who is a bit of a weather geek who lives in meriden said the jan 11 storm was two feet but this one just crushed it as he measured 34-36 inches depth early that Saturday morning.

this thread is awesome and we know now in modern times that a snow storm of at least three feet is possible in sne away from the elevated terrain, I shudder to think if a block was in place and or the storm was maybe fity miles further n/w and that firehose of moisture was lifted back into the Litchfield hills and Berkshires

The first part of the coastal system significantly underperformed for nearly everyone in the Mid Atlantic. It was the second part of the system that overperformed tremendously for New England into the NYC region.

The NAM drove the 850 line way NW. If it was right we wouldn't have had much snow. I got 18 inches.

• 10 months later...

that is the place where the best drifts in CT occur about 2 miles from me.

DVN, could drift with the best of them. I love how you can see the lofted snow in the background (what looks like wavy clouds).

post-44-0-26770800-1411337979_thumb.jpg

Same terminal building in 2009 blizzard, it's about 800 feet away from where I'm taking the picture.

post-44-0-57185300-1411337986_thumb.jpg

Archived