• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8/9 Blizzard of 13' Images

TalcottWx

Absolutely it stings you. Its why you remind us every time the storm comes up how much you think you got.

No it doesn't. i have multiple reports from folks in town of 33-36 inches. I took my avg in my yard..and 2 other neighbors and had 35.

The comments don't bother..I could care less if people believe me or not. Honestly..I know what i had and that's all that's important.

Jay Z from me to you

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic, just epic... one of the most amazing weather experiences of my life. 

I know Kevin hypes everything, but there really were baseball sized snowflakes falling for a few minutes, along with small hail.

Yeah that is nuts.  The differences in this blizzard was the radar was backing-up the hype...it was the real deal. 

That was such an awesome storm. 

That period between 2-5am are the best blizzard conditions I have ever seen IMBY. Topped Jan 2005. Dec 1992 was more pasty during the period of higher winds, so we didn't have that ground blizzard element to add in with the heavy snow.

Feb 2013 def takes the cake for pure blizzard conditions.

Absolutely it stings you. Its why you remind us every time the storm comes up how much you think you got.

This is one of those storms where folks were disappointed to get 20 inches...yep it was that big!  (not saying Kev got only 20, but just in general)   Places to the west of me by 15 miles "only" had 15-18 inches....

This is one of those storms where folks were disappointed to get 20 inches...yep it was that big!  (not saying Kev got only 20, but just in general)   Places to the west of me by 15 miles "only" had 15-18 inches....

I drove down to NJ the weekend after the storm...we got that mini torch during the week so there was some settling/snow melt. While driving through SW CT there was the hugest gradient between about Bridgeport and Stamford. Hamden was def thejackpot just driving...they had so much snow still. It was slightly less in BDR but still impressive but then about 10 miles further I was seeing bare ground where the sun torches it along the highway and the piles/snow banks were noticeably smaller.

The jackpot syndrome gets pretty bad during big storms like that. 

If you are 10 miles away from getting 35" vs 15" or something similar, then its definitely kind of understandable...but if its the difference between 28" and 24", then its just being greedy and obsessing over a jackpot fetish.

That period between 2-5am are the best blizzard conditions I have ever seen IMBY. Topped Jan 2005. Dec 1992 was more pasty during the period of higher winds, so we didn't have that ground blizzard element to add in with the heavy snow.

Feb 2013 def takes the cake for pure blizzard conditions.

Mine were in the evening, but that second band was impressive with temps in the teens. That band in the evening here was pure whiteout.

If you are 10 miles away from getting 35" vs 15" or something similar, then its definitely kind of understandable...but if its the difference between 28" and 24", then its just being greedy and obsessing over a jackpot fetish.

Yeah...its more the second example I'm referring too.  The folks that have like 22.5" but get angry because the guy the next town over reports 28" (but what you don't know is that 28-inch was clearing off a snow board every 6 hours, with a depth of 22" ;) )

What I like about this storm (and storms like it) is that 90% of people are just measuring these massive depths as they lay on the ground...not like getting big totals by clearing a snow board during a fluffy 30:1 deformation band.  That was what Valentines Day was like up here in 2007... even if you attempted to do the snowboard thing, the shear volume of snow that fell in 24 hours made that hard as yards and towns just became instantly choked with snow. 

So although you may get some variations in these big nor'easters due to wind drifting and stuff...I mean you see some of these neighborhoods with absolutely no snow on the roof-tops of any house or car and that snow has to end up somewhere, just filling in the yards where people measure...but you're also usually getting a lot more uniform reports of just people waking up and sticking yard sticks in the snow to see how much is there. 

Mine were in the evening, but that second band was impressive with temps in the teens. That band in the evening here was pure whiteout.

We got the northeast portion of the death band in CT during late evening (like 10pm)...that was pretty crazy during that time too with almost 0 vis. But the wind definitely seemed stronger during that final band between 2-5am.

Measured 27.5" here...and that was with 2-3 hours of sleet/graupel/hail contamination. Had we escaped that, easily would've pushed 3 feet.. Still irks me a bit. With the settling, the difference between 27.5" of snow/ice probably indistinguishable from 36" of pure snow...but it sucks not being able to just say 3 feet...sounds much more impressive. Still, it took me 8-9 hours of shoveling to dig out our small driveway (single lane, 3 car lengths) and sidewalk.

That's a very impressive amount. You may not see 36" until you are sucking food through a straw.

All those trips up north in the Corsica with bald tires has set expectations high.

Though I can understand if you were in a spot that didn't see excessive winds and missed on the 3-4" per hour snow rates, it could be viewed as a very good storm but not epic for your BY. Kind of like PDII in spots. Prolific snow, but not a ton fo wind and mostly achieved through consistent 1" per hour type stuff over 24-30 hours.

As a whole though on a regional scale of SNE, this storm was mostly certainly epic. Top 5 in the past century easily and probably top 3.

Measured 27.5" here...and that was with 2-3 hours of sleet/graupel/hail contamination. Had we escaped that, easily would've pushed 3 feet.. Still irks me a bit. With the settling, the difference between 27.5" of snow/ice probably indistinguishable from 36" of pure snow...but it sucks not being able to just say 3 feet...sounds much more impressive. Still, it took me 8-9 hours of shoveling to dig out our small driveway (single lane, 3 car lengths) and sidewalk.

New Haven/Bridgeport had some sleet/graupel/hail contamination too. Rates were so vicious even with the graupel it was still able to pile up somehow. 

And being in, or very close to (in miles or inches), the jackpot isn't common, except when one lives in a true snow magnet.  Nearest I've come to living in such a place was the back settlement in Ft. Kent, and there it happened about once a year - only counting big storms, well over a foot.  "Jackpots" of 4" when other areas get only 2" don't count.  In 13 Gardiner years, maybe twice; after 15 years in the foothills, four more times, most recently 4/1-2/2011.

Non-jackpots such as 18" when neighboring areas got 22-24" shouldn't cause angst.  Getting 11" when locations 25-35 miles S & E got 2 ft plus (Feb '13 blizz IMBY), maybe worth s small whine.

Metherb and that redsoxdude from Tolland both reported a good 5-6" less...all need to see. Plus the pics didn't look like 3 feet.

MetHerb recorded 26.1" and he lives 2 miles up the road from me. 

I stayed up all night and didn't sleep until the snow ended to make sure I got an accurate measurement, because I knew it was such a rare event.  I kept going outside throughout the storm to measure and keep track of things.  When it was over, I walked around my yard, talked with my neighbors, and measured in a million spots to make sure I wasn't missing something.  There were certainly drifts of 35", but the average measurement was between 25" and 30".

Kevin just went by Tolland Works tweeting "35 inches" first thing in the morning, lol. 

This is a good find... easily one of the worst GFS busts I can remember.  I mean not even close even with the event literally about to start.

This is the 0z February 8 snowfall outputs...this is like 12 hours to snow-time in SNE.  It was already snowing at this point in NY and VT.  The GFS was still printing out barely warning criteria at BDL and under a foot at ORH.  Well we know how well that worked out. 

---------------------------------------

0z NAM vs. GFS Bufkit:

kewr 32.1 vs. 7.1 <--- lol

kbos 28.7 vs. 16.0

korh 23.0 vs. 11.4

klwm 25.8 vs. 19.6

kpym 26.2 vs. 14.2

kbdl 19.6 vs. 8.3

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39245-feb-8-9th-blizzard-thread/?p=2090603

Archived