EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Debating whether to go take a measurement, it's coming down pretty good and I think the drafts are going to make it hard to get a realastic measurement, the piece of plywood I put out as the makeshift snowboard after the plow guy ruined the driveway probably is getting blown on pretty good. Probably close to a foot?, been SN+ for close to an hour now after the disaster dryslot earlier.

Just looked out the window, nope, everything blown around like crazy, will find a reasonable place in the morning and get a total.

-skisheep

Nice you have made up time quickly

We've already had more than what we did then i believe. i didn't live here then..but HFD had 16.9

Yeah Hartford's amount was low in that storm I think it ranks 8th All time for CT, but that storm is considered a benchmark for New England blizzard's to the main stream population.

Boston, and the rest of New England need to get in on the act with this one. For us this has been as good as advertised and then some.

Any guess on average what a 25 DBZ snow rate is? Estimating around 2" here since 9:30 being under 20-25 almost the whole time, is that a realistic estimate? Don't feel like freezing my butt off to take a measurement that probably will be wrong anyway.

SN+/SN, completly still outside aside from the wind, haven't seen a car on my street in 2 hours.

-skisheep

Yeah Hartford's amount was low in that storm I think it ranks 8th All time for CT, but that storm is considered a benchmark for New England blizzard's to the main stream population.

Boston, and the rest of New England need to get in on the act with this one. For us this has been as good as advertised and then some.

I think the south shore is over a foot..of mashed potatoes..but they've got another 1-2 feet of powder coming

11:00 PM observation - 17.5" storm total - 7" between 9 and 11 pm. Not snowing at 3.5"/hr now, but still heavy.

This will be the benchmark storm for south central CT - unreal.

11:00 PM observation - 17.5" storm total - 7" between 9 and 11 pm. Not snowing at 3.5"/hr now, but still heavy.

This will be the benchmark storm for south central CT - unreal.

Um, think there's a little ways to go to get to the 40-50" from 1888 ;)

I can't believe how that band rotated in here and just stopped.....I'm dead nuts in the center of it and it's not moving...pivots away!!!!!

Reminds me of February 2006.....I have no idea how much snow I have....the drifts are insane though

Same here and the snow just keeps piling up!  Insane! 

Nice you have made up time quickly

Yeah as soon as we got out of the dryslot that band from NYC snuck it's edge in here, and we have been going pretty good since then, it's not steady SN+ but when the wind gusts it most certianly is. Local wunderground station reporting 1/2 mile vis, but think it's lower than that, there is a 35 story high rise 1/2 mile away and can't even seen the outline of it. Not going to be an epic total, but still think I have a decent chance at 18"

What's your rate per hour, probably a bit more than mine, so trying to find a benchmark to calculate what's OTG?

Again, apoligies to all for my minimeltdown, got into a bad state for an hour or so but it passed right with the dryslot :)

-skisheep

Archived