CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo, like Ottawa and Montreal, likely budgets more for snow removal than Toronto given you average almost twice as much snow as us per season.

Seen some vids out of montreal and i have to say they use some of the top of the line snow removal equipment buf airport uses to clear the runways on their streets,pretty cool!

Sounds like a solid 11-15" in the city of Toronto...? My 13.5" call was pretty good. :)

When or has YYZ issued the final tally yet?

YYZ through 7pm had 10.2". That should be close to the final as not much else has fallen since. Not sure if that includes the inch that fell yesterday, so the total may in fact be 11.2".

12.2" as of 7pm. Could add a few more tenths but that should do it. Setting aside the 15"+ in 1999, these 12-13" type deals are basically what constitutes "whoppers" for YYZ. Just my 4th foot plus storm since 1997. Drifts up to 20". Looks amazing out there. 

I guess that makes my call of 12.9" pretty decent :) . Congrats guys.

I'll be kicking myself for missing this one for a while. Especially considering that one 40cm report in Waterloo!

Hamilton's Weather twitter account just posted the snow reports from YHM.  Total is 32cm.  Not sure why EC keeps saying 14cm.  Only a few inch range difference in the Hamilton area. 32-40cm is the highest and lowest totals being reported in this area. I was hoping for 25cm. This is a great surprise. 

YYZ through 7pm had 10.2". That should be close to the final as not much else has fallen since. Not sure if that includes the inch that fell yesterday, so the total may in fact be 11.2".

I suspect they got 27cm plus the 2cm yesterday should give a grand total of about 29-30cm or so. 

I measured right now, 31.9cm, :D and including yesterday, then 37.7cm :D amazing storm no doubt. 

well what can you say?

amazing....fantastic!!

ive been watching radar and obs out of toronto all day while i was at work. couldnt believe the 9 hours of SN+....just amazing.

came home to check the pics in this thread.....fabulous pics guys.

congrats GTA......finally!!! :)

Hey OL. This storm reminded me of the December 16,2007 storm I experienced in Ottawa. Heavy, unrelenting snow all day - and similar snow amounts given I measured about 13" at my place today.

Anything else we get this winter is probably going to seem lame in comparison now. Not that I'd want winter to end, but I would be content if spring came next week. We're still well below our seasonal average but I'm not going to dare complain.

Most forecasts I saw on this board and elsewhere were spot-on. The models did a really good job of pinpointing where the axis of heaviest snow would end up and were even pretty accurate in consistently showing 1"+ qpf for the GTA. 

There's already been a ton of awesome pictures posted so I'll just put up a couple more. Keep in mind that at 2am last night we still had bare ground and these pics were taken 12 hours later.

fb81832b-b4e5-4d50-b0c2-2023297b9249_zps

DSCN9584_zps1bd60c46.jpg

DSCN9571_zps7b9209cb.jpg

DSCN9540_zpsd493f27c.jpg

DSCN9530_zpsde5a1722.jpg

DTX snowmap looks good, and I just realized its the first theyve made since Jan 29th. They tend to leave out the maps when Detroit/Ann Arbor-south gets the most. Not saying all the lake enhanced stuff this week needed a map, but at LEAST Monday when The bottom 4 counties got 3-4". Ive seen them make for events as small as 1-2". The I-94 corridor got 8-12" (perhaps even a bit more in ARB..hm?) of snowfall from Jan 31-Feb 4 and not a single map.

Great pics Toronto folks. Cant say Im not jealous because Im MAJOR jealous, but not a single area of this subforum has gone longer without an 8"+ storm than you, so you deserve it.

15.4" recorded at UofM since Jan 31st...although one of them was a 3.3" with .1" liquid that I'm a bit skeptical of.

15.4" recorded at UofM since Jan 31st...although one of them was a 3.3" with .1" liquid that I'm a bit skeptical of.

I actually had a very similar amount of water content sometimes. It was very very fluffy.

SSC I must have missed it..what was YBY final total? Its a shame its just another "run-of-the-mill" 10" at YYZ lol.

Archived