joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z hi-res with weenie band over chicago by 0z.

LOT jacked amounts for the city

• This Afternoon Rain and snow. High near 38. East southeast wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 27. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming north northwest in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

My point forecast.

• This Afternoon Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. East southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 6 inches.
  • Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 25. East wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 9 inches.

Are they really calling for 15" here?  That's more than the 2011 GHD storm!

It's about time.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1111 AM CST THU FEB 7 2013

ILZ008-011>013-080115-
/O.EXA.KLOT.WW.Y.0004.130207T2000Z-130208T0300Z/
OGLE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OREGON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
9 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 PM CST THIS EVENING.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL GRADUALLY CHANGE OVER TO SNOW BY MID
  AFTERNOON IN TIME FOR THE EVENING RUSH. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE
  INTO THIS EVENING...BEFORE TAPERING OFF.

* ACCUMULATION...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE
  WITH SOME ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL BE
  NORTH OF INTERSTATE 88.

* OTHER IMPACTS...THE THREAT FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW COULD
  RESULT IN REDUCED VISIBILITIES UNDER A MILE AT TIMES AND RAPID
  ACCUMULATION ON AREA ROADS DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE

It's about time.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

ILZ008-011>013-080115-

/O.EXA.KLOT.WW.Y.0004.130207T2000Z-130208T0300Z/

OGLE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OREGON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO

9 PM CST THIS EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 PM CST THIS EVENING.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL GRADUALLY CHANGE OVER TO SNOW BY MID

AFTERNOON IN TIME FOR THE EVENING RUSH. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE

INTO THIS EVENING...BEFORE TAPERING OFF.

* ACCUMULATION...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE

WITH SOME ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS. THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL BE

NORTH OF INTERSTATE 88.

* OTHER IMPACTS...THE THREAT FOR A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW COULD

RESULT IN REDUCED VISIBILITIES UNDER A MILE AT TIMES AND RAPID

ACCUMULATION ON AREA ROADS DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE

I'm well north of I88 and in the northern 1/3 of cook and i'll be surprised if we see over .5"

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  1120 AM CST THU FEB 7 2013      DISCUSSION    1117 AM CST    HAVE EXPANDED WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY TO INCLUDE WINNEBAGO AND BOONE   COUNTIES AND THE I-88 CORRIDOR.    RECENT AMDAR SOUNDINGS OUT OF ORD/MDW SHOW WARM LAYER UP TO JUST   UNDER +3C BETWEEN 950 AND 900 MB...WHICH LATEST RAP HAS A DECENT   HANDLE ON...RESULTING IN PLAIN RAIN FOR THE CITY AND POINTS SOUTH.   HOWEVER...TEMPERATURES AT THAT LEVEL ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER OF   COUNTIES ARE DOWN BELOW 1C...ALREADY SUPPORTING A CHANGE TO SNOW   WITH THE CURRENT OB AT KUGN DOWN TO 1/2 MILE VSBY IN SNOW. ALSO   RECEIVED A REPORT OF SNOW STARTING TO ACCUMULATE IN WAUKEGAN AND   ZION IL AND A CHANGEOVER IN CHERRY VALLEY IL. WITH THIS IN   MIND...WILL START RIGHT OUT THE GATE WITH AN ADVISORY FOR WINNEBAGO   BOONE MCHENRY AND LAKE COUNTIES. ALSO BUMPED UP SNOW AMOUNTS TO 2 TO   5 INCHES FOR THE NORTHERN TIER GIVEN THE EARLIER START TIME TO THE   SNOW.     FARTHER TO THE SOUTH...FOR THE I-88 CORRIDOR...THE RAP ALSO SHOWS   THE 950 TO 900MB LAYER QUICKLY COOLING OFF BELOW 0C THROUGH THE   AFTERNOON INDICATIVE OF DYNAMIC COOLING. SO THESE AREAS SHOULD   CHANGE BACK OVER TO SNOW AND SEE DECENT SNOWFALL RATES GIVEN THE   FORCING AT HAND AND THE FACT THAT SURFACE TEMPERATURES EVEN NOW ARE   HOVERING JUST ABOVE FREEZING. FORECAST AMOUNTS WILL BE MARGINAL FOR   AN ADVISORY AT ROUGHLY 2 TO 4 INCHES...BUT SINCE THE RUSH HOUR WILL   BE IMPACTED...FELT IT WAS PRUDENT TO ISSUE ONE STARTING AT 20Z.   INCLUDED OGLE...DEKALB...KANE...DUPAGE AND COOK IN THIS NEW   ADVISORY...BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT THERE WILL LIKELY BE A GRADIENT   FROM NORTH TO SOUTH ACROSS DEKALB THROUGH COOK WHERE THE NORTHERN   PORTIONS WILL BE SEEING THE MORE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS FROM THE SNOW.     WITH A GOOD FGEN BAND COINCIDENT WITH STRONG LIFT NOTED ON MUCH OF   THE GUIDANCE PIVOTING ACROSS THE CWA AND BEING LOCATED OVER   NORTHEAST ILLINOIS INCLUDING CHICAGO BY THE EARLY EVENING...ALSO   CONCERNED THAT HEAVY SNOWFALL RATES COULD LEAD TO HIGHER TOTALS THAN   THE 3 TO 5 INDICATED IN LAKE AND MCHENRY ALONG THE I-88 CORRIDOR IN   NORTHEAST ILLINOIS. WILL CONTINUE TO ASSESS FOR ANY FURTHER UPDATES   NEEDED. BUT IN SUM...THE AFTERNOON COMMUTE IS LIKELY TO BE PRETTY   MESSY...ESPECIALLY FOR THE NORTHERN PART OF THE METRO.  

snow line moving south through SW WI into NW IL as northern 850 gets going..gonna have to watch how much longer WAA continues over NE IL...still pretty aggressive right now.

You can real see how that deceleration of the winds perpendicular to the T gradient over S/central MI is helping to squeeze out the maximum amount of moisture.  Shaping up to be a very nice event!

Good luck to all, and keep the pics comin!

Pouring rain out here. Very skeptical that I wi receive snow

I've been looking around...I think it's good that we are see the heavy rain now, as it's helping keep temps down as much as possible. I think anyone south of the current edge of good returns is out of the game.  Also watching the band over Iowa right now...if it holds together and pivots through later, a brief period of quality snow looks possible.  Plenty of good returns upstream...we just need to switch on time.

This forecast is for Battle Creek...

This Afternoon Rain and sleet likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. East wind 10 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Tonight Rain and sleet before 10pm, then snow. Low around 26. East wind 8 to 15 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of around an inch possible.

Dry slot much?

40 miles north....

This Afternoon Snow. High near 33. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Tonight Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. East wind 10 to 14 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 7 inches.

Haha someone is going to bust HARD.

I've been looking around...I think it's good that we are see the heavy rain now, as it's helping keep temps down as much as possible. I think anyone south of the current edge of good returns is out of the game. Also watching the band over Iowa right now...if it holds together and pivots through later, a brief period of quality snow looks possible. Plenty of good returns upstream...we just need to switch on time.

I think anything before 21z is garbage time around there. 21z-00z is when I would look for the changeover to have moved southeast through most of Chicagoland so just have to hope there is precip left.

I think anything before 21z is garbage time around there. 21z-00z is when I would look for the changeover to have moved southeast through most of Chicagoland so just have to hope there is precip left.

Sounds about right...some of the hi-res have a nice band over the city around 0z, so we might have a 3-4 hour window to do some damage.

Roads and sidewalks covered with snow, with sludge and ice just below the surface. These are probably the worst walking conditions of the year.

0.5 mile visibility at MSN and .06" liquid between 10 and 11 am, probably 10:1 ratios or less since the temp on top of the met building is up to 32.7 F.

Heaviest snowfall rates of the winter, no doubt right now.

post-2499-0-61690300-1360258587_thumb.jp

Is this your LSR, Geos?

000NWUS53 KLOT 071736LSRLOTPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL1136 AM CST THU FEB 07 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..1130 AM     HEAVY SNOW       BEACH PARK              42.42N 87.86W02/07/2013  M0.8 INCH        LAKE               IL   PUBLIC            SNOW TOTAL SO FAR. HEAVY SNOW AT TIME OF REPORT.            SNOWFLAKES UP TO 1 INCH IN DIAMETER.

Archived