• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

Downtown got 14.4" (36.5 cm) and East York recorded 12.9" (32.8 cm).

Here's a photo that I took yesterday. This is at Queens Park, very close to the downtown station at the University of Toronto.

attachicon.gifIMG-20130209-00248 (600x800).jpg

I live about 1/2 km from that location. If they say we received 14.4 inches that is pretty good. :clap:

More than i expected. They are the experts, putting us in Top 5 all-time here. :snowman:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live about 1/2 km from that location. If they say we received 14.4 inches that is pretty good. :clap:

More than i expected. They are the experts, putting us in Top 5 all-time here. :snowman:

It's good to see downtown and East York having close to similar totals. Before the snow ended, there was a burst of heavy snow between 7-8 pm Friday in the downtown core. This amounted roughly to an inch and a half to 2 inches. That likely helped downtown go over the 35 cm mark.

Here you are, Mike. 

"In Ontario, we often reference the totals at Toronto Pearson International Airport, which can be dramatically different from the snowfall seen in nearby cities.

That's because the airport uses a Nipher gauge -- a bell-shaped device that captures the falling snow. Often, the wind will blow a lot of snow out of the guage.

When the contents of the gauge are melted down and converted into a snowfall total, it's often less than what you are seeing at home."

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=How_are_snowfall_totals_measured__08_02_2013

:axe::lmao:

i cant even think of words to describe this. WHAT IS THE POINT?!? Its completely wrong, and even worse than a lowballer or slantsticker. Its completely wrong, why even report ANYTHING?

I'm sure they're aware of the deficiencies of the nipher gauge. It probably has something to do with cost efficiency and not having to pay an individual to go out an measure the snow with a ruler. I believe Pearson is AWOS.

Ok...then why doesnt the person who is taking the time to melt down the snow in the nipher gauge go out with a ruler instead? My god its one thing to question reports of weenie grass inflation, lowballing or inflation during a drifty storm, but this takes the cake. It sure as hell couldnt be any more inaccurate to send them out with a ruler instead of melting the nipher gauge. Its actually laughable.

Anybody know the link for EC'S email? I want to send a complaint for this. This is outrageous. Honestly, numerous METS disagree with EC's numbers not only for Pearson but for Hamilton as well. Hamilton's official numbers are even more worse. 

now its become obvious as to why YYZ is always low compared to other stations. With that being said, 2007-08 could have easily been the snowiest Winter on record at YYZ and 2008-09 becoming somewhere in the top 5 if not top 8.  -_-

Ok...then why doesnt the person who is taking the time to melt down the snow in the nipher gauge go out with a ruler instead? My god its one thing to question reports of weenie grass inflation, lowballing or inflation during a drifty storm, but this takes the cake. It sure as hell couldnt be any more inaccurate to send them out with a ruler instead of melting the nipher gauge. Its actually laughable.

Good point. I forgot the whole process is not automated and someone has to melt the snow.

It's almost as if EC doesn't care about accuracy.

It's more than just weather weenies caring about accuracy, it's history and science.

I mean, it still boggles my mind. What is the point of even reporting anything if its going to be wrong and FOR CERTAINLY lowballed? Thats like someone depositing a $2,000 check in their account and their statement says they have deposited $1200.

Interesting discussion going on about YYZ's snow measuring techniques. Measuring snowfall with a device is not the best idea. Measuring rainfall is one thing, but snow is easily blow around and accumulates in totally different ways as opposed to rain. Their snowfall measuring should not be automated. It's obvious that their nipher gauge isn't working, otherwise nearby sites would be measuring similar accumulations. If someone takes the time to melt the snow down, you know darn well they have enough time to stick a ruler in several spots and do a simple average! It's not rocket science, lol.

+1 for you IWX and SnowFreak on your last posts above.

Archived