wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished shoveling again. Unreal snow out there. I don't remember the last time I saw this much.  I haven't heard anyone in the Hamilton/Dundas/Burlington area hit 40cm with any measurements yet, but hearing a lot of 35-37.

Keep in mind, Hamilton didn't get anything yesterday when areas from Lake Huron to the GTA got that initial 4-8cm. At 4am this morning we had nothing. By 4pm, 35cm.  That's a great storm in 12 hours. The city is virtually shut down.

Just finished shoveling again. Unreal snow out there. I don't remember the last time I saw this much.  I haven't heard anyone in the Hamilton/Dundas/Burlington area hit 40cm with any measurements yet, but hearing a lot of 35-37.

Keep in mind, Hamilton didn't get anything yesterday when areas from Lake Huron to the GTA got that initial 4-8cm. At 4am this morning we had nothing. By 4pm, 35cm.  That's a great storm in 12 hours. The city is virtually shut down.

Gonna go take a final measurement. Will report to EC...yes Hamilton is completely shut down...plows have come around here once...earlier today. They need to come around again. 

EDIT: Average of about 31-34cm out there. 

Gonna go take a final measurement. Will report to EC...yes Hamilton is completely shut down...plows have come around here once...earlier today. They need to come around again. 

no plows here yet. Cars are stuck in the middle of the roads. My back is killing from all the shovelling and helping to push cars out. haha  It's a good 'sore' though.

no plows here yet. Cars are stuck in the middle of the roads. My back is killing from all the shovelling and helping to push cars out. haha  It's a good 'sore' though.

About to go and shovel my grandparents place.

Phoned EC, I said I was a trained Canwarn Spotter from Hamilton...the lady started laughing and said oh perfect..we needed a report from there....so I assume they know that Hamilton's measurements are a little messed up. 

Your property from your pictures looks beautiful. Where I live now is beautiful (Spring Lake area), but when I get the money, I am going to move to a more private location.

I'm house sitting for my parents who are on vacation in Costa Rica right now.  My apartment is about 4 miles away but I stayed the night at my parents house for easier digging out.  They are in a beautiful location, especially during the winter.  The mosquitoes can be awful in the summer though, and raking in the fall is a royal pain in the butt.  Winter >> Summer living in the woods.  I might post more pics later on, but in a different thread.  Let this one be for the Toronto people right now.

Phoned EC, I said I was a trained Canwarn Spotter from Hamilton...the lady started laughing and said oh perfect..we needed a report from there....so I assume they know that Hamilton's measurements are a little messed up. 

lol that's precious. Anytime I call in my reports i get the sense the guy at the other end of the line is rolling his eyes at me. I think they think they've got enough observations from Toronto proper.

We picked up 12 to 15 inches in this area. With that on top of the snow we already had on the ground....it is quite the winter wonderland!

Congratulations!  I think I have right around 9 here at my parents house.  It looks like I'm right on a tight gradient with lesser amounts just to the south and greater just north.  It was tough to blow as the bottom 5 inches or so was pretty dense.  Thankfully that back-end band had some fluffier snow with it to top things off. 

lol. That's a big issue here today. It's taking the plows forever to clear up the main roads, nevermind the side streets! To be fair, this storm came during the day, not at night, so many were driving.

We must be spoiled down here lol,they plow every 30 mins here.

haha...that's funny.  I noticed they just added a report from the West Mtn of 32cm.  Perhaps that was yours? I must say, I've got a bit of confidence restored in the models. I was basically at the point this winter where I would totally ignore them when it showed us getting a major snowfall 4 or 5 days out.  Even last night when they were still showing 30-40cm I didn't believe it.  So nice to see this happen. 

FYI,  just heard the first measurement of 40cm in my area.  Just a couple minutes from me around the tip of the Harbour.  This is always a prime spot for snow due to the proximity to the lake and the long E and ENE wind that adds enhancement along with the up-sloping due to the elevating terrain at this end of the Harbour.

http://goo.gl/maps/9bB6C

Archived