amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think LOT is under doing snowfall totals out this way on their graphic and discounting some highe totals, but regardless, here is what my hose looks like now that I have gotten everything cleared.

Nice pic/snowbanks! I have to finish clearing snow - I'm already sore! Will have to attach some pictures of mine, once I'm done.

A lot of LOT's snowfall measurement were from about 10pm last night. The 9.6" I sent to the NWS was at about 11pm and it snowed another 0.6".

If anyone was higher then me it would have to be someone in Zion, Winthrop Harbor or maybe Pleasant Prairie. Few spots out west of me a little were darn close to 10" too.

Season total is only about 6"-7" shy of last seasons total. ... I have no right to complain in the complaint thread either! lol

Dear god... Meltdowns occuring in the NE and NYC subforum because they may get less than 2 feet. lol. In a yearll honesty, I expect some insane snow totals from out there.

Finished with 5" on the dot last night. quite the overperformer here. Busted low with my call for mby, 4.5", and Geos 7". Seems I had the right idea that this would be a suprise storm for N IL, and that the LOT forecaster who pulled the trigger 24 hours early with a SWS was thinking along similar lines.

Alek, what did you finish with?

Its sad but thats how things roll with weenies. Some on the coast couldnt get their grass pickers covered for 2 years now 18" would be a letdown lol. But really, I can count about 3 storms in the last 5-6 years where this area saw 10-11" but peak clown maps had 12-18" and there was much ire. Peak clown maps had 48-60" for BOS so yeah, as ridiculous as it sounds, its all relative to a weenie and 18" would be a letdown. 

Congrats to the Toronto folks. For the first time in years Im jealous of you guys lol. It was a longtime coming and SEE I TOLD YOU IT WOULD END SSC!!!!!! What did I say not even a week ago? ;)

Had a total fall of snow of 2.7" here (2.0" storm, 0.7" deform band). Snow was actually much more powdery than I thought at first glance, complete with some blowing and drifting, but with all the freezing rain total precip was still 0.31". Pretty winter day, storm performed about as expected here. Now its time for a big one smile.png

This is turning into a salt-truck driver or plow contractors dream winter. Just one big storm, but the snowfalls just keep coming. Season-to-date is now up to 33.0" imby and 31.5" at DTW.

Its turned into my kind of winter, but I have to say, Im not itching for the BIG one.

3439-800.jpg

3440-800.jpg

3441-800.jpg

Ok, this is the part of the storm I've been interested in seeing. Winds are perfectly aligned across the entire fetch of lake Ontario into the Hamilton area. Temps have dropped to -9 and defo band snows are headed this way over the next few hours. This is our best chance for some enhancement from the lake, until about 4 or 5pm. 

8-12" fell in Midland. They were possibly THE biggest scewzone in MI this year to date, so good for them. By biggest screwzone I mean least amount of snow, not relative to whats going on near them. Jealous of the northern burbs, but it was to be expected. We were due for an old-fashioned northern burbs outdo the southern burbs system (hope its our turn next big storm :D), at least it wasnt Jan-1-2008-esque.

Ok, this is the part of the storm I've been interested in seeing. Winds are perfectly aligned across the entire fetch of lake Ontario into the Hamilton area. Temps have dropped to -9 and defo band snows are headed this way over the next few hours. This is our best chance for some enhancement from the lake, until about 4 or 5pm. 

temps are too warm aloft for much LEhS. I guess you could get a shallow band but it's not going to up your amounts significantly.

Congrats to the Toronto folks. For the first time in years Im jealous of you guys lol. It was a longtime coming and SEE I TOLD YOU IT WOULD END SSC!!!!!! What did I say not even a week ago? ;)

Had a total fall of snow of 2.7" here (2.0" storm, 0.7" deform band). Snow was actually much more powdery than I thought at first glance, complete with some blowing and drifting, but with all the freezing rain total precip was still 0.31". Pretty winter day, storm performed about as expected here. Now its time for a big one smile.png

This is turning into a salt-truck driver or plow contractors dream winter. Just one big storm, but the snowfalls just keep coming. Season-to-date is now up to 33.0" imby and 31.5" at DTW.

Its turned into my kind of winter, but I have to say, Im not itching for the BIG one.

3439-800.jpg

3440-800.jpg

3441-800.jpg

Nice pics. I guess I was the one hitting the bottle. ;)

I see Hamilton and Burlington are getting hit with a pretty good band right now.

Can't see much in Oakville!

current.jpg?1360346946

You can see that enhanced area on King City Radar. There are some peculiar mesoscale processes happening within the deformation zone that I don't understand but that are creating these criss-crossed banding features.

temps are too warm aloft for much LEhS. I guess you could get a shallow band but it's not going to up your amounts significantly.

oh definitely. I'm not expecting a band...just some added moisture tossed into the city with the long, cold wind blowing across the warm water. The winds are really crazy out there now.

Just saw the official measurement from Hamilton Airport of 28cm as of 1pm.  They will end up between 30-35. And it's quite a ways inland from the lake, south of the city. Won't be surprised to hear some isolated measurements of 35+ around the western tip of the lake. Quite a storm.

You can see that enhanced area on King City Radar. There are some peculiar mesoscale processes happening within the deformation zone that I don't understand but that are creating these criss-crossed banding features.

I noticed that. Maybe something to do with the pending transfer of energy to the coast?

Interesting...

I see 4 cars and a truck on this St. Cat's camera!

current.jpg?1360348132

Some people are abandoning their cars on the 401 in Toronto and the OPP is advising everyone to stay off the roads now across the entire GTA.

Edit, bet TDSB regrets not closing their schools today...

My neighbour who's a teacher pulled into her driveway around 1 o'clock so I guess they let the kids out early.

Archived