wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
February 8th-9th Potential Bomb Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to see a storm that comes along breaks the typical KU mold. The blocking near the Maritimes

where the 50/50 usually sets up is really helping our cause. These phasing events between the streams

with a a wave dying out to our west usually bomb out too far east for us like 2-19-04. This storm is pretty

much defying the odds of what you would expect. But as we have seen recently, rare  phases have

been happening lately in the East.

18 storm KU composite

Slow down there buddy. I think that 1-2' is a more reasonable forecast from NE NJ/NYC to SW CT.

ECMWF had over 2" QPF for Newark-NYC. And the ECMWF is a little bit dry on QPF at times. IF it shows the same thing at 0z, then we are going get the 20+ amounts.

I'm thinking the final, realistic totals for NE NJ and NYC will be in the 11 to 14 inch range. NW of us might get a 14-18 inch band and certainly into CT/eastern LI/MA, etc will have a WIDE SPREAD 18-36". Highest amounts I expect to be around 45"

If that is your call for NYC because that is what the GFS says you are making a terrible mistake. It is so apparent that the GFS is suffering convective feedback issue messing up the entire thermal profile and underdoing the western edge of the storm. 4 Inches QPF around the center of the storm and a 3 inch drop off just to the west. It's ludicrous, it's convective feedback, it's the goofus. I'm all in with the Euro for NYC/NE NJ. A model that has had a warning criteria snow storm on every run for 8 straight runs is not out to lunch 24 hours from the event because the GFS says so and all the local TV and radio sheep follow it. The GFS has failed in these setups time and time again and the Euro has crushed it virtually 100% of the time in my 15+ years of tracking winter storms. It ain't changing now, not at this range.

I'm thinking 12-18" NYC metro, 14-20" n NJ into sw CT, and 15-22" central Long Island.

My estimates for New England are mainly in the 20-30 inch range.

Some mixing early in event and distance from deepest phase are the only reasons for going lower for NYC than max in New England, but it will be a major impact storm from about NJ-PA border (north of TTN) east to New Brunswick Canada. However I think it will only be a "crippling blizzard" in parts of southern New England and possibly some parts of Maine/NH.

If that is your call for NYC because that is what the GFS says you are making a terrible mistake. It is so apparent that the GFS is suffering convective feedback issue messing up the entire thermal profile and underdoing the western edge of the storm. 4 Inches QPF around the center of the storm and a 3 inch drop off just to the west. It's ludicrous, it's convective feedback, it's the goofus. I'm all in with the Euro for NYC/NE NJ. A model that has had a warning criteria snow storm on every run for 8 straight runs is not out to lunch 24 hours from the event because the GFS says so and all the local TV and radio sheep follow it. The GFS has failed in these setups time and time again and the Euro has crushed it virtually 100% of the time in my 15 years of tracking winter storms.

Here are the amounts I'm seeing...

NYC/EWR/LGA: 16-20"

JFK: 14-18"

HPN (White Plains): 18-24"

HVN/OKX/GON: 22-30"

Here are the amounts I'm seeing...

NYC/EWR/LGA: 16-20"

JFK: 14-18"

HPN (White Plains): 18-24"

HVN/OKX/GON: 22-30"

That makes some friggin' sense at least. Easy to lollipop to Euro totals in some areas of best banding with a call like that for NYC/EWR/LGA. Euro is 22 inches for LGA/NYC, 20 for EWR. 19 for JFK and all guidance but the GFS is in line or better with the Euro. But yes let's all go with the outlier and the worst model historically with coastal storms. SMH!

If that is your call for NYC because that is what the GFS says you are making a terrible mistake. It is so apparent that the GFS is suffering convective feedback issue messing up the entire thermal profile and underdoing the western edge of the storm. 4 Inches QPF around the center of the storm and a 3 inch drop off just to the west. It's ludicrous, it's convective feedback, it's the goofus. I'm all in with the Euro for NYC/NE NJ. A model that has had a warning criteria snow storm on every run for 8 straight runs is not out to lunch 24 hours from the event because the GFS says so and all the local TV and radio sheep follow it. The GFS has failed in these setups time and time again and the Euro has crushed it virtually 100% of the time in my 15+ years of tracking winter storms. It ain't changing now, not at this range.

:clap: They say a picture is worth a thousand words: One look at the radar makes it apparent that the lack of precip on the western flank as modeled on the GFS is clearly wrong. The consistency of the NAM and Euro solutions holds more merit IMO than the GFS at this point in time.

usa_None_anim.gif

:clap: They say a picture is worth a thousand words: One look at the radar makes it apparent that the lack of precip on the western flank as modeled on the GFS is clearly wrong. The consistency of the NAM and Euro solutions holds more merit IMO than the GFS at this point in time.

usa_None_anim.gif

I have NEVER seen a radar look like that leading into a storm... This will definitely be a top 5 er

TV mets are still calling for a long duration of rain in the forecast tomorrow in the city. Doesn't make sense to see 6 hours of straight rain. I don't even think the warmest models have that duration of rain.

The GFS is easily 36-38 most of the day. Not saying its right but it is the warmest at the surface right now

The GFS is easily 36-38 most of the day. Not saying its right but it is the warmest at the surface right now

GFS surface temps are bad in these situations. Warmest 850's get to 0 here and there's a lot of heavy precip. A lot of mets here said that the GFS is not picking up on some of the cooling processes that the hi-res models are. Which is why the Euro and the NAM have only bout 2-3 hours mixing max.

TV mets are still calling for a long duration of rain in the forecast tomorrow in the city. Doesn't make sense to see 6 hours of straight rain. I don't even think the warmest models have that duration of rain.

They look at what the GFS originally forecasted for highs tomorrow and apparently continues to forecast today either this morning or last night and say the GFS forecasted it to be above freezing so it will be that warm so that means it has to rain first. It cannot be any other method. No accounting for other models, for the fact that it already busted based on current radar, for blatantly obvious convective feedback, little to no influence by the weaker and earlier dead primary because the GFS never kills it when it should, no correction for it's hideous SE bias, no correction for it's low resolution that cannot pick up dynamic cooling and on an on. This is the ineptitude we are forced to endure.

Archived