Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 8th-9th Potential Blizzard

dryslot

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here, nearly had a stroke each 12z run of the models in class last couple days lol. first class canceled tomorrow so I'll be staying up for the euro tonight.

I had the GFS 2M winds up on my laptop during chemistry and my professor asked me how's the storm looking and I lit up.  He's not happy b/c he teaches a class on Friday and one already was cancelled.  

Anyways though, it's amazing how we continue to look better and better with each run, that's when you really know things bode well.  Just need to have the GFS/Euro stay steadfast or even look better and that will do it for me.  

I had the GFS 2M winds up on my laptop during chemistry and my professor asked me how's the storm looking and I lit up. He's not happy b/c he teaches a class on Friday and one already was cancelled.

Anyways though, it's amazing how we continue to look better and better with each run, that's when you really know things bode well. Just need to have the GFS/Euro stay steadfast or even look better and that will do it for me.

I was really having trouble teaching today. Thurs will be worse

In all fairness...I think sometimes people overestimate how much influence the sound has more than 1-2 miles inland. I'm 3-4 miles inland...and we often can do surprisingly well even when the NWS/local stations have us in the coastal screw zone. The northern portions of the shoreline town cans sometimes be like night/day compared to immediate coast.

This. You know the deal!

Just a crushing crushing run.

Question for the mets... Normally see isallobaric flow out of the north, but with the banana high literally wrapping around the low pressure center does that imply weak convergence?  Or at the very least will east flow be mitigated partially by an ageostrophic component out of the west?  

Yes...

From an email with Harvey Leonard:

Yeah, I understand but it depends.  

Do you recall the run-up to the 2003, Dec storm?   The emails we exchanged, I tried to impress upon the fact that the particular position of the antecendent polar/arctic high up N was position so ideally, that a low approaching from the south would have to fight a might ageostrophic vector, and that the inevitable coastal boundary, might end up anomalously placed S along the S shore.   

We saw in that event, mid 30s F cold and wet snow in Boston, rather abruptly dry out when the temp crashed as the wind back abruptly from ENE to NNE then N.  The water then was warmer than now.    I remember it was 19F in Winchester Mass with a N wind gusting (est) 23kts from the N, and then shortly there after BOS wind went 010 and the temp went to 29F like a finger snap.   

2 things leap to mind ...well 3, upon reading your paragraph.   

1) the example above of how idiosyncratic details can compensate for typicals/normalcy.  This is an extreme event, much like Dec 2003, odd things like that happen, and they happen for a reason.  I wouldn't use this to trump your thinking - no way, but please keep in mind the the following...

2) bombing lows approaching from the S toward ACK, will tend to back the wind prematurely due to cross-isobaric wind response. That would combine with #1 in helping to establish a CF very close to Logan in my mind, where downtown on the common, certainly out toward Cambridge are blue. 

3) the storm then stalls - the 00z NAM came gang busters back when it realized, "holy ****, there's a southern stream impulse I forgot to infuse". Anyway, a strong system that might bump west, or even loop would likely blast the CP with a N wind snow wall.   

unless the tuck and stall happens further west than modeled...i think ACK where some folks have like 2" or 4" falling will make out fine. not sure i agree with the low numbers on the islands. obviously they won't get crushed but seen some really low numbers for CHH and ACK

Any predictions for E. Falmouth snowfal totals?

Archived