Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 1 (2/25-3/3): wet

Week 2 (3/4-3/10): slightly drier than normal northern SE to near normal southern SE

Weeks 3-4 (3/11-24): near normal

Week 1 turning quite cold

Week 2: very cold..coldest week

Week 3: still solid chill

Week 4: slightly below normal

Weeks 1-4: strong west based -NAO

AO for weeks 1-4: neutral, negative, negative, neutral

PNA: + for weeks 1-2; neutral weeks 3-4

Thought the weeklies would be warmer ,even has on the 11th of March surface temps at 35 just S of Orlando,not sure that will happen though.

I see several here mentioning the big snowstorm on the Canadian...

According to Frank Strait it is the "improved Canadian". Meaning they upgraded/did something to it recently. Take that for whatever its worth.

Yes, it uses 4D now and has a much improved resolution.  Going by the specs alone, it should be the second-best model behind the Euro, I'd think (and just ahead of the UK Met), though I haven't seen any verification scores for it yet.

Yes, it uses 4D now and has a much improved resolution. Going by the specs alone, it should be the second-best model behind the Euro, I'd think (and just ahead of the UK Met), though I haven't seen any verification scores for it yet.

I am sure most in the SE forum are rooting for the GGEM to be onto something. With its recent upgrade it would probably achieve legendary status moving forward if it verified. I don't know about y'all,, but it would be nice to be able to hug something other than the euro.

I am sure most in the SE forum are rooting for the GGEM to be onto something. With its recent upgrade it would probably achieve legendary status moving forward if it verified. I don't know about y'all,, but it would be nice to be able to hug something other than the euro.

Agreed. I wish we could step up another notch in model accuracy, especially days 4-10 atleast. The nam has improved IMO this year in the short range, but you can't hang your hat on it. The GFS I have the same amount of confidence in it as I did 5 years ago. And they just tweaked it 2 or so years ago I believe. I am a firm believer the weather is just to sophisticated for us to ever master forecasting. We Will improve, but there is a limit for our finite capabilities.

Agreed. I wish we could step up another notch in model accuracy, especially days 4-10 atleast. The nam has improved IMO this year in the short range, but you can't hang your hat on it. The GFS I have the same amount of confidence in it as I did 5 years ago. And they just tweaked it 2 or so years ago I believe. I am a firm believer the weather is just to sophisticated for us to ever master forecasting. We Will improve, but there is a limit for our finite capabilities.

Don't quote me on this but rumor is GFS being replaced by FIM model in the not so distant future. Not sure what the current word on that is now tho.

Agreed, they have had a nice snow and ice year. The reason I ask is b/c I think if the vortex northeast of us isn't so "crushing" that NICE looking snow in Arkansas on some models should hold together longer. It could be a 4-8 type of event for them and more of a 1-3 or 2-4 type event further east. All speculation at this point, but something to watch for sure.

Has Ark ever been left out of anything this year?What a year for them

Accuweather is showing snow March 2-3 for asheville.  know its a week away but some models were also showing this.  could this be a snowstorm that sticks?

Hopefully if it does snow somewhere in the south in that time frame it will happen at night. If it snows during the day in March, it better be snowing pretty heavily or either well below freezing, or it won't stick.

Hopefully if it does snow somewhere in the south in that time frame it will happen at night. If it snows during the day in March, it better be snowing pretty heavily or either well below freezing, or it won't stick.

hoping we have a widespread event so lots of folks can benefit.  snow for lots of folks would be great in the southeast.

hoping we have a widespread event so lots of folks can benefit.  snow for lots of folks would be great in the southeast.

It sure would be nice to at least get SOMETHING out of this winter before we move on to spring. It will bring peace of mind to a lot of people. It would really suck having to wait another 9 months to have a shot at any snow again. A dusting of snow would be enough to make me happy.

Where can I get the 12z GGEM images out to 240 now?

More specifically, where can I get 12Z GGEM clown maps (specifically for the 9-10 day 12Z)? Maybe they don't exist? I tried looking at that site that was linked, but can't figure out how to generate a clown for days 9-10. Anyone know?

Where can I get the 12z GGEM images out to 240 now?

This is the best site: http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?lang=fr&mod=gemglb

You can view precip, h5, the surface, P-type, etc.  And you have to love the hr 240 panel, haha.  Just a major snow for much of the SE and from CLT to RDU northward.

Larry, I'm not sure if there's anywhere you can view any clown model-generated snowfall accumulation maps, though.

More specifically, where can I get 12Z GGEM clown maps (specifically for the 9-10 day 12Z)? Maybe they don't exist? I tried looking at that site that was linked, but can't figure out how to generate a clown for days 9-10. Anyone know?

I think I figured it out just now.  Go here:  http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?mod=gemglb&map=na〈=fr

And choose GEM-GLB at the top.  Then, you can choose the cycle below (I think it defaults to the most recent run).  Click the check box for Images for any of the items in the list on the left.  Try "Precipitation".  Then, down at the bottom, you can choose the hour.

Problem is, English is not the native language on this site. :)

Archived