Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of this is going to be about timing and how much Radiative cooling can take place before the clouds roll in Thursday night-Friday morning.

Really for North Carolina its all about dewpoints and wetbulb temps as we go into tomorrow night. There is no tap to a cold air source. What we need to watch tomorrow are the dewpoints and wetbulb temps and see how they are compared to model projections.

you mean the models lost the storm!?!?! i'm shocked. it amazes me to see these storms show up and disappear for the southeast but if one is headed for the plains or great lakes it's like it is locked in on day 6 lol. eh, maybe its because I'm really not paying as much attention to those storms and have a biased eye toward our sad little winter corner, but it sure seems that way lol.

0z EURO...Warning criteria snow for WNC. 

hour 123 Asheville area 1-2 inches

hour 126 Asheville to boone area 3-4 inches

hour 129 Wilkesboro...Mount Airy...Lenoir...3-4 inches (also snowing roughly from Asheville to Reidsville)

hour 132 1-2 inches foothills

hour 135 1-2 inches Wilkes westward ending here

Probably 5-10 inches from what I am seeing on Wunderground...could be more or less don't take verbatim. 

Piedmont...very close. Could be a little something there since I only see specific hour frames. Does show north Winston area, Yadkin County, near the cutoff. 

hour 129 Wilkesboro...Mount Airy...Lenoir...3-4 inches (also snowing roughly from Asheville to Reidsville)

Probably 5-10 inches from what I am seeing on Wunderground...could be more or less don't take verbatim. 

Piedmont...very close. Could be a little something there since I only see specific hour frames. Does show north Winston area, Yadkin County, near the cutoff. 

Thanks Wilkes.

This alert was generated by the National Weather Service
EMWIN (Emergency Managers Weather Information Network)
from messages received by DaculaWeather.com EMWIN server.
NOUS42 KWNO 210551
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
0549Z THU FEB 21 2013

TOC/GATEWAY IS HAVING SYSTEM PROBLEMS AGAIN THAT ARE AFFECTING
OBSERVATIONAL DATA FLOW.  TOC HAS NUMEROUS PERSONNEL LOOKING INTO
THE ISSUE..

SHRUELL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Looks like mainly an ice event to me. Thickness is not even close on the Euro.  A 1024 high moves from off the PA shore and turns into a 1028 high that stays in Maine for one frame while the bulk of the moisture moves in. I would take that with a grain of salt. 

NOUS42 KWNO 211027
ADMNFD

1024Z THU FEB 21 2013

TOC/GATEWAY CORRECTED THEIR EARLIER SYSTEM PROBLEMS AT 0650Z BUT
IS NOW HAVING MORE SYSTEM PROBLEMS THAT ARE AFFECTING
OBSERVATIONAL DATA FLOW.  TOC IS CONTACTING SUPPORT..

SHRUELL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

NOUS42 KWNO 211027

ADMNFD

1024Z THU FEB 21 2013

TOC/GATEWAY CORRECTED THEIR EARLIER SYSTEM PROBLEMS AT 0650Z BUT

IS NOW HAVING MORE SYSTEM PROBLEMS THAT ARE AFFECTING

OBSERVATIONAL DATA FLOW.  TOC IS CONTACTING SUPPORT..

SHRUELL/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Is the translation to this......0Z GFS may have been modeled incorrectly....thus no reason to panic on our upcoming chances????

Hmmm... backup?

NOUS42 KWNO 211210
ADMNFD
NWS NCEP AVIATION WEATHER CENTER KANSAS CITY MO
1210 UTC THU FEB 21 2013
BACKUP OF SDM/NCO/NCEP OPERATIONS IS IN EFFECT BY THE AVIATION
WEATHER CENTER IN KANSAS CITY MO.
HIRT/LEAD FORECASTER/AWC/NCEP

Hmmm... backup?

NOUS42 KWNO 211210

ADMNFD

NWS NCEP AVIATION WEATHER CENTER KANSAS CITY MO

1210 UTC THU FEB 21 2013

BACKUP OF SDM/NCO/NCEP OPERATIONS IS IN EFFECT BY THE AVIATION

WEATHER CENTER IN KANSAS CITY MO.

HIRT/LEAD FORECASTER/AWC/NCEP

Can you help me out here? I'm still confused as to what this has to do with storm and pattern discussion for the SE. Are you thinking that because some obvs stations are out and the aviation crew is grounded in KC it will have an effect on the GFS runs?

You know what, just so you don't get your panties in a wad, I won't post those here anymore. 

Hi Steve.  I think all of really appreciate your posts and all of the work you have done on your website.  I do sometimes have a hard time understanding all of the technical details and I don't know what I'm looking for and whether to celebrate or be bummed.  If you could provide a brief word of explanation I think we could all learn something.  Thanks!

You know what, just so you don't get your panties in a wad, I won't post those here anymore. 

No seriously I don't understand what it has to do with it. I understand if you're talking about how the storm could affect the midwest I just have no clue what it has to do with the SE and pattern/future storm discussion. 

No seriously I don't understand what it has to do with it. I understand if you're talking about how the storm could affect the midwest I just have no clue what it has to do with the SE and pattern/future storm discussion.

I don't understand it either.

Steve,

Feel free to post it here if it's relevant to the discussion, which I'm assuming it is, or you probably would not have posted it. Add me to the list that doesn't understand what it means or rather how it affects things. Can you help us out? That's all we're asking.

I, like others, have seen the potential in the upcoming pattern the LR models have been showing and can see reason for the excitement. My problem is we need to start seeing a storm on the models. If not all we have is a bunch of potential. I haven't seen a storm the last few runs of the gfs or euro and I'm affraid we might end up w/ cold and dry. Call me crazy or call it modelogy but I like to see the models showing something and get an uneasy feeling when they're not. Hopefully the 12z runs will start to show something!

I, like others, have seen the potential in the upcoming pattern the LR models have been showing and can see reason for the excitement. My problem is we need to start seeing a storm on the models. If not all we have is a bunch of potential. I haven't seen a storm the last few runs of the gfs or euro and I'm affraid we might end up w/ cold and dry. Call me crazy or call it modelogy but I like to see the models showing something and get an uneasy feeling when they're not. Hopefully the 12z runs will start to show something!

A +pna is usually a dry pattern. And without a true southern stream we are left with relying on the northern branch to drop some energy out of Alaska. This is why a negative pna with a strong block can deliver.  I would still keep my eye on that energy trying to come across late next week.

Wilkes says starting at hour 123 snow showing up on the euro

I, like others, have seen the potential in the upcoming pattern the LR models have been showing and can see reason for excitement as we head into March. My problem is we need to start seeing a storm on the models. If not all we have is a bunch of potential. I haven't seen a storm the last few runs of the gfs or euro and I'm affraid we might end up w/ cold and dry. Call me crazy or call it modelogy but I like to see the models showing something and get an uneasy feeling when they're not. Hopefully the 12z runs will start to show something!

I agree with you to an extent. In my mind, it's just a question of when [do we start seeing a storm]? For 7+ days out, I'm fine with seeing the players on the field. The trend for a strong west-based -NAO and a spike in the PNA continues. The energetic flow continues. So the pieces are there.

To avoid the word verbatim, :) a perfect prog looks more cold and dry instead of snowstormish. But, come verification, things will likely line up differently.

It would be nice to see a storm show up five days out and remain all the way in. But that's rarely how it works down here. But I'm with you....I want to see something legit start showing up soon that we can track.

Archived