Toothache
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta's top ten since '49:

1) 7.9"......March 24, 1983 

2) 5.8"......January 12-13, 1982 (became known as "Snowjam 82') 

3) 5.0"......January 18-19, 1992 

4) 4.6"......January 2-3, 2002 

5) 4.4"......February 17-18, 1979 (all sleet/ ice pellets) 

6) 4.2"......March 13, 1993 ("Blizzard of 93") 

7) 4.2"......January 7-8, 1988 (sleet/ ice) 

8 4.0"......March 10, 1960 

9) 3.9"......February 1952 

10) 3.6"....January 21-22, 1987

And again, what amazes me is that in the number 1 position is the March 24, 1983 snowstorm that hit ATL, and still number 1.  I remember just how unusual that storm facet was, while ATL was getting its heaviest snowfall on record since 1949 and since hasn't been rivaled in terms of so late in the season for a significant winter storm 3 days into spring

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#Climate - Says the 1993 storm brought 16 inches of snow to the city. Maybe it's wrong though. Birmingham got 17 inches.

It is, officially at Hartsfield Int'l it was 4 inches. The problem I have with this is since the airport is on the southside of town (where they got screwed by the track of the low) it gives a false impression of what most in the city saw which was much more than that. The heart of the city on north it was closer to a foot or more. I have a couple of baby photos that show what looks like about a foot of snow on the ground, but then again I live closer to the city than I do the airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century

I had more than 10". I can't believe people don't remember this. 

Amazing storm.  I was living in Rome, Ga at the time (about 65 miles northwest of ATL) and we received 18".  Went without power for 6 days!  I'm almost sure I remember a quote from the head of Georgia Power stating that Rome/Floyd County was likely the hardest hit area in the state in terms of outages.  

Who's the Ryan guy, is he a met?  Also, yeah 93 must have been a Raleigh storm, 93 didn't show CLT much love.  From a WNC perspective, I don't think we care too much what happens to the storm when it gets to the Atlantic, that's too late for us.  We need a bomb down in southern Miss/Alabama rolling in the north Gulf.  Once it's in the Atlantic it's an ENC storm. 

Yes, he is a met (actually a Ph.D.).  He is part of the Weatherbell team, Joe Bastardi's enterprise.

March '93 is my all-time favorite snow, almost 2 feet of snow in Lenoir, NC, at the time.  Out of school for a couple weeks.  Awesome!!

Nice to see 3 of top ten were in March! That and the current models give me hope!

Atlanta's top ten since '49:

1) 7.9"......March 24, 1983

2) 5.8"......January 12-13, 1982 (became known as "Snowjam 82')

3) 5.0"......January 18-19, 1992

4) 4.6"......January 2-3, 2002

5) 4.4"......February 17-18, 1979 (all sleet/ ice pellets)

6) 4.2"......March 13, 1993 ("Blizzard of 93")

7) 4.2"......January 7-8, 1988 (sleet/ ice)

8 4.0"......March 10, 1960

9) 3.9"......February 1952

10) 3.6"....January 21-22, 1987

I'll always remember that March 93 storm because it gave me an extra week of Spring Break from App State. Hope the systems we have coming up can give more of NC a big dog. Looks like we might have a few chances to cash in.

I was at App State from 89 to 91. Geography major.

Lived in NW Raleigh at the time. Remember a met saying we got lucky to get 1-2 inches because of some late back system development.

Hmmm GFS not too far off @216 sends our low through southern FL and then it makes it the turn. @228 gives 2/3rds of NC about 2 inches of snow. Can we make a separate thread about 93 if we're going to go on and on debating it? 

I think someone should just make a 93 thread at the start on every winter. It has come up alot this season :)

But yes, if the rest of the 12 suites conitnues down the path.. It might be on :)

It is, officially at Hartsfield Int'l it was 4 inches. The problem I have with this is since the airport is on the southside of town (where they got screwed by the track of the low) it gives a false impression of what most in the city saw which was much more than that. The heart of the city on north it was closer to a foot or more. I have a couple of baby photos that show what looks like about a foot of snow on the ground, but then again I live closer to the city than I do the airport.

It sucked for the airport.  If I remember correctly, downtown didn't switch over until around 5am.  Meanwhile at my house in Cherokee county it started sleeting around 6 and snowing around 7.  I remember checking outside after family matters went off and we had 2" already on our way to 14".

Yes, he is a met (actually a Ph.D.).  He is part of the Weatherbell team, Joe Bastardi's enterprise.

March '93 is my all-time favorite snow, almost 2 feet of snow in Lenoir, NC, at the time.  Out of school for a couple weeks.  Awesome!!

IIRC correctly, March '93 I was measuring 22" in Asheville and the National Climatic Data Center recorded a 78 mph wind gust downtown.  Awesome storm and I got out in the middle of it, hiked about 3 miles to a friends house that had power and a woodstove (and Jagermeister). Hard to believe this is the 20th anniversary.  Hopefully we can get something in March 13; a solid 5" would thrill me at this point.

I was at App State from 89 to 91. Geography major.

Lived in NW Raleigh at the time. Remember a met saying we got lucky to get 1-2 inches because of some late back system development.

Just graduated this past December in Geography.

Back on topic, I'm glad to see the models really looking good especially after so many people believed the long range models back in late Jan and early Feb saying winter was over and an early spring was a guarantee. Got crow?

Umm there are actually a lot of jobs in the geography field. Likely more than any other field, do some research on GIS and what it's used on. Every field of work can use GIS or some sort of map making.

Sorry.  I didn't know you needed a degree to drive the Google photo car.   :)

EDIT:  Oops.  I thought this was the banter thread. It's hard to tell sometimes.  Mods feel free to move this mini-conversation.

Great visual representation of a CAD....I'm starting to get quite interested in Friday morning. Also, could we have a repeat performance next Tuesday, then something next Thurs?  This could be an extended period of winter wx opportunities, or not.. :whistle:

Funny how you and I were just talking about the "last chance", "winter's over", "spring is here" statements might be premature until April, lol.    Buds popping out in Feb. rarely survive until spring...at least in my past :) Nearly always comes the March or April hard freeze stomping. 

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to some more very good rains, from a top notch winter in my town.  Plus it hasn't been what I'd call warm lately either....at least not in the night. 

It's the suppressed southern stream in funnyland that has my interest, as well as the cold finally making a maybe appearance.  Cad could just be some welcome beginning round play for the very end of Feb. and 1st week of March...if the maps aren't just taunting us :)  Tony

In an attempt to get us back on track...how is the CAD event for Thursday nignt/ Saturday morning looking?  A little worried that anything will happen since RAH, which is generally ultra-conservative, had this posted early this week as a potential freezing event and may have jinxed it for us.

Hmmm GFS not too far off @216 sends our low through southern FL and then it makes it the turn. @228 gives 2/3rds of NC about 2 inches of snow. Can we make a separate thread about 93 if we're going to go on and on debating it? 

But it looks so off shore and like it's not nearly as strong as what the 00z euro says at 216...would it being that far away still give us something?  Especially ~2"? Idk.  This is all through my untrained eye.  Or is it just the fact that they're both putting a low right there?

Also, how do I view the ensembles?

But it looks so off shore and like it's not nearly as strong as what the 12z euro says at 216...would it being that far away still give us something?  Especially ~2"? Idk.  This is all through my untrained eye.  Or is it just the fact that they're both putting a low right there?

Also, how do I view the ensembles?

First rule of the GFS in the LR...you want it suppressed and off shore. 

Hey guys.  First time, long time.  The talk of the 93 storm stirred up some memories.  I'm from eastern PA and i think for that storm we got 23".  Awesome, but for where i was living nothing compared to the Blizzard in 96.  We got hit with about 30".  I almost got stuck in a 10' drift walking a half mile to my buddy's house.  He had to pull me out.  Nothing beats those monster storm in the northeast.

Archived