• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

Sorry, wrong about that.  I must be thinking of another storm.  At least I was right about CLT not getting anything in 93! :axe:

Except they did. They received 2 inches in the middle of March. That's not bad at all. I don't buy the Euro yet but if it came to fruition as the EPS Control Run had it we would easily be in 8 inches or more I would think. Just a lot of wishful thinking right now though. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

93 storm crushed Alabama and Georgia including ATL which got 16 inches of snow. It was a true blizzard. High winds and heavy snowfall. It would be amazing if that occurred again. The track shown on that recent Euro run shown Eastern half of NC being crushed though.

It would be more March '80 than March '93.

93 storm crushed Alabama and Georgia including ATL which got 16 inches of snow. It was a true blizzard. High winds and heavy snowfall. It would be amazing if that occurred again. The track shown on that recent Euro run shown Eastern half of NC being crushed though.

Atlanta got 16 inches really?  Wow, I don't know this storm at all.  Surprised Charlotte got so little if Atlanta got that much.  Seems like a very unique storm. 

I think you got ATL and Birmingham mixed up. Downtown ATL got 4 inches I believe and the suburbs especially NW side got close to a foot or more.

It would be more March '80 than March '93.

That would be awesome. That one gave the whole state a lot of love.

accum.19800302.gif

Atlanta got 16 inches really?  Wow, I don't know this storm at all.  Surprised Charlotte got so little if Atlanta got that much.  Seems like a very unique storm. 

No, KATL got 4" and the northside got ~7-10". City was ~5-7". Marietta, to the NW, got ~12"

It's the way the low tracked. It tracked about 200 miles to our west and it went straight North-Northeast. Put us in the comma cloud banded snow for hours and hours.

http://wintercast.tripod.com/id24.html - This site shows the track of the low.

That would be awesome. That one gave the whole state a lot of love.

accum.19800302.gif

Yeah, that looks better.  I could be wrong again but that has the signature of a classic overrunning gulf low that rolls along a great southern track and bombs up the coast giving ENC a big hit.  Everybody gets a decent hit though.  I bet Atlanta even got some.  That's what I'd like to see in the next 2 weeks.  Overrunning system with cold air in place.  And then I wake up.  :)

Atlanta metro itself didn't get much at all from March 93'. Northern suburbs cashed in and spots like Chattanooga, Huntsville, and even Birmingham got plastered. I wish I had been living here when that storm rolled through. I was Living just NW of Washington DC during that storm... cashed in huge from the blizzard of 96 though :).

I think you got ATL and Birmingham mixed up. Downtown ATL got 4 inches I believe and the suburbs especially NW side got close to a foot or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta#Climate - Says the 1993 storm brought 16 inches of snow to the city. Maybe it's wrong though. Birmingham got 17 inches.

Yeah, that looks better.  I could be wrong again but that has the signature of a classic overrunning gulf low that rolls along a great southern track and bombs up the coast giving ENC a big hit.  Everybody gets a decent hit though.  I bet Atlanta even got some.  That's what I'd like to see in the next 2 weeks.  Overrunning system with cold air in place.  And then I wake up.  :)

Yes, and it seems it has been so long since we've had something like this to give the whole state some good amounts. We're due.

Atlanta's top ten since '49:

1) 7.9"......March 24, 1983 
2) 5.8"......January 12-13, 1982 (became known as "Snowjam 82') 
3) 5.0"......January 18-19, 1992 
4) 4.6"......January 2-3, 2002 
5) 4.4"......February 17-18, 1979 (all sleet/ ice pellets) 
6) 4.2"......March 13, 1993 ("Blizzard of 93") 
7) 4.2"......January 7-8, 1988 (sleet/ ice) 
8 4.0"......March 10, 1960 
9) 3.9"......February 1952 
10) 3.6"....January 21-22, 1987

Atlanta's top ten since '49:

1) 7.9"......March 24, 1983 

2) 5.8"......January 12-13, 1982 (became known as "Snowjam 82') 

3) 5.0"......January 18-19, 1992 

4) 4.6"......January 2-3, 2002 

5) 4.4"......February 17-18, 1979 (all sleet/ ice pellets) 

6) 4.2"......March 13, 1993 ("Blizzard of 93") 

7) 4.2"......January 7-8, 1988 (sleet/ ice) 

8 4.0"......March 10, 1960 

9) 3.9"......February 1952 

10) 3.6"....January 21-22, 1987

There's a lot of disparity among websites of how much Atlanta got. The airport only receive 4 inches, but it's possible other parts of the metro received much more. If I'm correct, it started out as rain and ended as snow so whoever changed faster likely got much more amounts and I-20 seems to be the magical line for rain/snow transitioning it seems. With such a dynamic storm, certain parts of the metro could have easily got 15-16 inches.

There's a lot of disparity among websites of how much Atlanta got. The airport only receive 4 inches, but it's possible other parts of the metro received much more. If I'm correct, it started out as rain and ended as snow so whoever changed faster likely got much more amounts and I-20 seems to be the magical line for rain/snow transitioning it seems. With such a dynamic storm, certain parts of the metro could have easily got 15-16 inches.

I had 10-12" out here in Gwinnett county. I remember thundersnow and 30 mph winds. It was so thick you couldn't see 20 feet at times. Awesome.

Archived