Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 0Z Doc 10 day map's strengthening Greenland block  is a beautiful thing to see due to its implications for the days following. Now's the time to get as much sleep as possible, boys and girls.

Seems like the GFS ensembles overnight are still banging the drum for strong west based -NAO from what I can tell.  Just need to get the western ridge right...

V5yhNJNl.gif

Save these images folks, you don't see them very often.

00zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

00zecmwfwestnao.gif

Yeah right?  I was just about to say, I think I've found a excellent example of both a +PNA and a truly west based -NAO.  And is that a split flow coming out of the Pacific?  Man, hate to come out of the first week of March empty handed, but I know that's on the table...

8kZAp2al.gif

Great look on that 240 ensemble map from the euro doesn't get better than that unless it was mid Jan instead of early March.

Yeah, that's in the back of my mind...that anomily maps are great, but is it going to get our surface temps to below freezing this late in the season?  If blocking is in the right spot and as strong as progged, I think we may just have a shot.  Still skeptical though. 

12Z NAM looks a lot drier than previous run for the Friday morning CAD event

Yea I was just about to post on that. Looks like the wedge isn't as pronounced as well although I don't have access to a good 2m temp profile so I can't say for certainty but just looking at 850 line looks more north this run.

Yeah, that's in the back of my mind...that anomily maps are great, but is it going to get our surface temps to below freezing this late in the season?  If blocking is in the right spot and as strong as progged, I think we may just have a shot.  Still skeptical though. 

If it were the middle to end of March yes this would be a major concern. However we're talking about very early March. I'm skeptical just because all winter we've seen hints but it never seems to come. I wouldn't worry about temps though. 

If it were the middle to end of March yes this would be a major concern. However we're talking about very early March. I'm skeptical just because all winter we've seen hints but it never seems to come. I wouldn't worry about temps though.

If the EPS control came to fruition like you mentioned earlier, temps wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Temps are always an issue in the SE, I know that's obvious but I have been burned too many times by thinking temps won't be an issue and in the end you are sitting with 35 and rain.  I think there won't be an issue getting a s/w to trek in the right spot and give the se some precip, the tricky part will be getting the temps cold enough.

It sure is nice to see the Euro showing some kind of major system rather than only the 6z or 18z 300+ hr GFS.  Hopefully the Euro is on to something big early on and the GFS will trend towards the Euro as the "event" gets closer...guess we just have to wait and see, eh? But that 975 low sure does look pretty...I am also worried about the temps, though.  850 temps are marginal at best.  Then again this is hour 216.  It can/will change in the blink of an eye...

The 12Z Nam didn't look all that different from the 0Z run to me. But maybe I'm missing what you guys are seeing. I'm not looking at surface temps.....just the ewall site.

Obviously RAH is a lot smarter than me but I don't see what they are looking to support any ice, we need precip to fall before 12z on Friday morning, now maybe people NW of RDU have a little more time than we do.

Yea I was just about to post on that. Looks like the wedge isn't as pronounced as well although I don't have access to a good 2m temp profile so I can't say for certainty but just looking at 850 line looks more north this run.

Yesterday, the SREF had an mean fzra of .43" for the escarpment from Black Mtn, NC northward! 

Great look on that 240 ensemble map from the euro doesn't get better than that unless it was mid Jan instead of early March.

In terms of absolute temperatures, the 0Z 2/20 day 11-15 Euro ensemble mean anomaly is so cold that this is actually about as cold if not colder than the coldest Euro ensemble run for any five day period this entire winter and it is way colder than any actual five day period for the SE US so far this winter! Moreover, at KATL for example, it has the absolute 850 at -3 C at 850 for the 11-15. -3C is ~5 C colder than the normal 850 for January! So, no, temperatures would not be a problem.

Hey guys I got a quick question. Im going to Cumbia SC on fri morning leaving out of Roanoke. With potential weather can anyone tell me what kind of job they do with salting etc around the fancy gap/NC mountains area on 81 going to 77. Not sure what to do if I should take 81 to 77 or play it safe and go out of my way a little and take 220 south

Who's the Ryan guy, is he a met?  Also, yeah 93 must have been a Raleigh storm, 93 didn't show CLT much love.  From a WNC perspective, I don't think we care too much what happens to the storm when it gets to the Atlantic, that's too late for us.  We need a bomb down in southern Miss/Alabama rolling in the north Gulf.  Once it's in the Atlantic it's an ENC storm. 

Who's the Ryan guy, is he a met?  Also, yeah 93 must have been a Raleigh storm, 93 didn't show CLT much love.  From a WNC perspective, I don't think we care too much what happens to the storm when it gets to the Atlantic, that's too late for us.  We need a bomb down in southern Miss/Alabama rolling in the north Gulf.  Once it's in the Atlantic it's an ENC storm. 

93 was a WNC storm, a blizzard in fact.  Plastered WNC with 1-2 feet of snow on average and close to 5 feet of snow on Mt. Mitchell.

Huh?

accum.19930313.gif

Archived