Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA - February 2013

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like my fear of a euro gfs/nam compromise is coming true.  Can't seem to buy a significant snow in this area lately.  Everything I have seen from 0z so far is not going to get it done, NAM/RGEM/GFS would all be mostly light rain mixing with snow during heavier bursts.  Maybe an inch or two at the end but even that is stretching it.  We needed to get the more dynamic solutions that all the models except the euro were throwing out the last 24 hours. 

Final call. This winter sucks..

attachicon.gifHWPCsnow.gif

Well, Zach....I stayed with you til the bitter end, supporting your original forecast.  At least you were kind enough to still keep me in your highest total area...lol.....1 to 3.  Even if this doesn't pan out, there are still a few more threats in the pipeline going into and through next week before the whole thing probably collapses.  I'm getting tired of the let-downs which really have come more from watching good storms out beyond 72 hours for days, getting excited about the potential, then the proverbial let-down as the storm wimps out.  I'd rather just jump right to spring and let temps begin to warm back up than keep on being subjected to weenie torture (notice, I didn't say "torches" ...lol).

I hope you don't mind me posting in here, I live right along the Mason Dixon line.  This storm is hard to pin down being such a small vort in the flow.  I do not think the euro is right, but my worry is that the NAM and RGEM coming in dryer and kind of disorganized until late means we might end up with a compromise between the euro and the GFS/NAM runs of the last few days.  That won't work for us, we need a dynamic system or its going to be 35 with light rain/snow mix and no accumulations.  This has to be a thump.  Hope the GFS comes in wet and puts some of my fear to rest but I have always felt nervous having the euro staring us down like that. 

Hey there.  You are more than welcome to post here.  We don't bite and we don't play the exclusivity game, either!   Thanks for your thoughts on this system.  Wish you could finally get a decent one also down by you! :snowing:

Latest readings from here at 11:30 are 28/21 still with clear skies and calm winds.

Ah yes, unfortunately there's a double-edged sword with a northward jog in any model solution. You get closer to the surface low and you'll also be closer to the warmer air profiles. Sure, you'll have more precip, but if it's not heavy enough to dynamically cool, then it's not going to amount to much more than some slop. I bumped my ranges about 20-30 miles to the south tonight to account for the Euro/CMC and the possibilities of it being drier than modeled. These pesky little shorts can sometimes cause model headaches because they are such subtle little systems. I'm unsure about 3-4 amounts, but I respect your call. For the sake of snow lovers, I'd love to be wrong and someone gets a 5'er, but I just can't see it with marginal BL temps and not a very robust system. 

Yea the overnight models certainly weren't supportive of the prospect of much more than the general 1-2 inches. Just saw the 03z SREFs.. has a zone of much weaker probs for 1+ for the Sus Valley in between good probs for the Laurels and in Philly/NJ/NYC where the storm hits the coast and ramps up a bit. The Philly/NJ/NYC area had half decent probs for 4+ as well. 

New HPC probs kept a slight 10% chance of 4+ across the PA southern tier, but I'm def starting to think anything approaching that is gonna wait til further east..if at all. When I mentioned the thin stripe of 3-4", I was talking a pretty small area where we could potentially have a heavier band set up later in the storm (during the night time) that maybe thumps some snow down. The most likely place of course being near or a bit above the Mason Dixon where the best precip is still progged but still far enough north that heavier precip would yield accumulating snow. Still something I'd watch for, but the aforementioned temp issues along with mainly lackluster precip rates look to put a damper on it. Either way this threat def not what it looked like a couple days ago when it was looking to be a widespread advisory type event with the potential for warning amounts within that. 

Beyond this event it looks like our weekend threat is just not going to have time to materialize for anyone as the deep trough keeps on progressing east. Next storm chance starting to center more on next Tuesday with GFS/Euro having a lakes low currently. Euro kind of has the look of an attempted miller B with it..but the finer details are trivial at this juncture of course. 

Having some of the same fears at Matt here.  Worried temps will not climb as quick with lows starting out much colder this morning.  We could see quicker column cooling if sfc temps don't climb enough.  Most QPF's are 0.2"-0.4".  Most solutions still showing a majority fo it falling as rain.  Had to go with lower numbers today though, just not 100% convicned this will amount to much with warm, wet grounds needing to cool and low snowfall rates.  See the NWS followed as well.  But will be itneresting to see if the models handle the codler sfc temps well with precip starting as rain early.  03Z SREF has low probs for Susq Valley 1+ snow.

Here's the broad brush AM map we're going with....
webphoto11.jpgWMight see a few 3" spots in the elevations.  Just curious to see how this pans out when I wake up tomorrow morning....

Having some of the same fears at Matt here. Worried temps will not climb as quick with lows starting out much colder this morning. We could see quicker column cooling if sfc temps don't climb enough. Most QPF's are 0.2"-0.4". Most

solutions still showing a majority fo it falling as rain. Had to go with lower numbers today though, just not 100% convicned this will amount to much with warm, wet grounds needing to cool and low snowfall rates. See the NWS followed as well. But will be itneresting to see if the models handle the codler sfc temps well with precip

starting as rain early. 03Z SREF has low probs for Susq Valley 1+ snow.

Here's the broad brush AM map we're going with....

http://tribwpmt.files.wordpress.com/2013/

02/webphoto11.jpgWMight see a few 3" spots in the elevations. Just curious to see how this pans out when I wake up tomorrow morning....

Looks great! That is exactly what I said yesterday morning.

Continuing the theme of low temps. LNS is around 5 degrees colder than moldeled by the NAM and GFS. At my location it is closer to 8 degrees colder. I guess we will see if temps rebound to their modeled highs. It seems to me that just a few degrees in this type of situation can make a difference.

I'm ready for spring.  All hail King EURO.

Yea, at least spring can bring interesting severe wx...

I hope at least part of it is at least normal. I am hoping for fruit from this saturn peach tree in my backyard and it is very difficult to get past April without going below 20 here. A warm March like last year causes them to blossom early.

If we are hailing King EURO, it said last night that we can't put our shovel away here in central PA. It has moderate snow threats 2/20 and 2/23. Hopefully they will be less annoying than this current thing this evening. For all you Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans, this "storm" was the Gail the Snail of winter systems. 

Archived