Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA - February 2013

NAM be trolling. 

Wow I looked at 511 cams....holy crap. 

Yea this heavier band is setting up much further north than I would've ever given it credit for today. This was the kind of thing I was looking for to reside along the Maryland border. Already have a coating. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully that band can push well into Centre County...I'll call a brief period of heavier snow and a coating as a victory at this point.

Yea this heavier band is setting up much further north than I would've ever given it credit for today. This was the kind of thing I was looking for to reside along the Maryland border. Already have a coating. 

huh

SHORT TERM FORECASTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA430 PM EST WED FEB 13 2013PAZ019-024>027-033-132330-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR-HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN-SOMERSET-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STATE COLLEGE...JOHNSTOWN...ALTOONA...HUNTINGDON...MOUNT UNION...LEWISTOWN...SOMERSET430 PM EST WED FEB 13 2013.NOW...A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW EXTENDING NEAR...AND JUST TO THESOUTH OF ROUTE 22 AT 420 PM WILL DRIFT GRADUALLY TO THE EASTNORTHEAST THROUGH 7 PM. THE SNOW WILL FALL HEAVY AT TIMES...WITHTRAVEL BECOMING TREACHEROUS ACROSS THE HIGHER TERRAIN FROM SNOWAND SLUSH COVERED ROADS...ALONG WITH POOR VISIBILITIES ASTEMPERATURES FALL TO BETWEEN 30 AND 33 DEGREES. SNOW ACCUMULATIONOF 1 TO 2 INCHES IS LIKELY BETWEEN 420 PM AND 7 PM. USE EXTREMECAUTION IF YOU PLAN TO TRAVEL LATE TODAY INTO EARLY TONIGHT.$$

I have 1/2 inch with moderate snow and I didn't think I was going to see a flake.

I seem to be on the extreme Northern edge. Sharp cutoff North of me.

I don't think it will last long over here. 

I should pick up at least an inch here which is better than nothing.

I don't know how it will affect east of here though.

huh

My favorite was the bolded part:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/... WILL HOLD THE LINE ON ACCUMS. TEMPS AT 40F IN THE SRN COUNTIES AT 2 PM. DEWPOINTS THERE ARE IN THE M20S...WHICH WET BULBS TO ABOVE FREEZING...EVEN THEN TOTAL SATURATION UNLIKELY AT THE SFC. THUS...FCST OF MAINLY RAIN IN THE VALLEYS BEFORE DARK STILL LOOKING GOOD. SNOW IN KEKN GIVES SUPPORT TO THE FORECAST OF A MAINLY ELEVATION DEPENDENT SNOW EVENT. THE SNOW WILL LIKELY BE REALLY SLUSHY AND MELT QUITE A BIT UNLESS THE INTENSITIES ARE TERRIFIC DURING THE DAYLIGHT HRS. BUT THE PRECIP WILL PROBABLY PEAK BETWEEN 23Z AND 02Z...AFTER DARK. THIS SHOULD ALLOW ACCUMS ALMOST EVERYWHERE IT IS SNOWING AFTER DARK. THUS...SOME ACCUMS ON THE HILL TOPS IN THE SE COULD MAKE 2-3 INCHES...BUT NO WIDESPREAD AMOUNTS EXPECTED LIKE THAT...THUS NO ADVY. PRECIP LOOKS TO BE TAPERING OFF AS THE LOW GETS OFF THE DELMARVA...ABOUT 03Z. EXPECT LITTLE TO NO PRECIP AFTER 04Z. WIND DOES TURN WESTERLY...BUT NO TIGHT PRES GRADIENT WITHIN REACH OF PA. PLUS...THE HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING IN TO THE SRN APPALACHIANS BACKS THE WINDS BY MORNING AND WARM ADVECTION GETS UNDER WAY AROUND SUNRISE.

And I'm just looking out the window and thinking welp.. the snow intensity is pretty damn terrific right now haha. 

Additionally from that disco, is anyone in the southeast actually seeing rain from this right now?

PAZ017>019-024>028-033-049-050-132245-

BLAIR PA-CAMBRIA PA-CLEARFIELD PA-HUNTINGDON PA-JUNIATA PA-MIFFLIN PA-

NORTHERN CENTRE PA-SNYDER PA-SOMERSET PA-SOUTHERN CENTRE PA-UNION PA-

457 PM EST WED FEB 13 2013

...A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WILL DRIFT NORTHEAST AND AFFECT THE

FOLLOWING COUNTIES THROUGH 545 PM EDT...BLAIR...CAMBRIA...CENTRAL

JUNIATA...MIFFLIN...NORTHERN HUNTINGDON...NORTHERN SOMERSET...

SOUTHERN CENTRE...SOUTHERN CLEARFIELD...SOUTHWESTERN UNION AND

WESTERN SNYDER...

A BAND OF HEAVY SNOW WITH VISIBILITIES LESS THAN ONE QUARTER OF A

MILE IN SOME AREAS...EXTENDED ALONG AND JUST TO THE NORTH OF ROUTE

22 IN CAMBRIA AND BLAIR COUNTIES AT 450 PM. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2

INCHES PER HOUR ARE LIKELY WITHIN THIS HEAVY SNOW BAND. TRAVEL

CONDITIONS WILL BE TREACHEROUS WITHIN THIS SNOW BAND AS TEMPERATURES

FALL TO BETWEEN 30 AND 33 DEGREES AND ROADS BECOME COVERED BY SNOW

AND SLUSH.

THE HEAVIEST SNOW WITHIN THIS BAND WILL BECOME LOCATED ALONG A LINE

FORM NEAR IRVONA...TO SANDY RIDGE...STATE COLLEGE AND CENTRE HALL

BETWEEN 520 PM AND 545 PM.

THIS WILL IMPACT I-99 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 21 AND 81.

Archived