Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21/22 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

I'm relatively exhausted but currently fascinated, we'll see how long I last

Longer than me, still stuck at 1.6", the few flakes that fall between moon beams must be compressing under the massive weight of my building deep snowpack.  I'll have to watch this one on the DVR.  :)

RADAR looks decent off to the south. we'll see how it goes over the night. my kids have been sick for days and i'm pretty sleep deprived...but will probably check back in an hour or two after getting some rest.

only area i think i'll bust bad with is the Outer Cape as i think it'll be tough for the PVC to CHH area to reach the 6" range. rest should be OK with general 2-4, 3-6 deal.

Met my expectations but not my hopes.  I'm not expecting much more at all, hoping to be surprised by the sound of scraping plows.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed...I've heard the public this year say that it sucks that this winter has been so cold but so little snow in Worcester. So clearly they have no idea. We have near average snow and temps +5 for the winter.

I went 4 winters in a row without seeing a 10" snowstorm....that is unheard of in ORH. For a good reason too....because that was the only time it happened on record. :lol:

Sure, and the NWS is great. Meteorology is rough...at least I got close to an inch here. Almost every tv met will take heat tomorrow. Working in this field can really suck haha.

I can totally agree with you. Even my forecast I put out has bust written on it. I still feel good about the lower end of my forecast totals but I definitely will bust on some of the locales. Just gotta learn from it. Although this winter has been rather boring, it's good to at least get a system like a Norlun to open up good conversation.

It's obvious on the higher res radar too.  The precip is moving in different directions based on level, synoptic snows are shooting east, whatever that other crap is, is moving more north.

What about the SREFs?  Hopefully someone stays up for those.  I hope they show me in the 0% chance for any snow at all for this next one, best place to be ;)

Let's have another vigil. Where's Tip...?

METS or other intelligent folk,  on the SPC meso scale analysis page what is a good indicator to look at for where best convergence is setting up as we go hour by hour and where norlun band will set up (wether offshore or not) . much thanks and if you could mention what drop down box it's under would be much appreciate just trying to learn and help understand the now casting of this event.

I like to click on the thermodynamics then hit cape on the meso page. can see wind direction easily.

I can totally agree with you. Even my forecast I put out has bust written on it. I still feel good about the lower end of my forecast totals but I definitely will bust on some of the locales. Just gotta learn from it. Although this winter has been rather boring, it's good to at least get a system like a Norlun to open up good conversation.

For sure...I love having this board. Storms like this sometimes make me question if I'm studying the right thing...but next storm comes and I know I am...you just have to deal with the public that has no idea how hard it is. :)

Any reports from Milton/Braintree/Quincy? It seems like they've actually had a decent band over them..

Yup, it was going OK for a while, actually really good snow growth and big flakes compared to the pixie dust we had in hours previous.

Think we have clawed our way all the way to 1" in Randolph, lol.

Let's have another vigil. Where's Tip...?

Wintry appeal out there right now though. Dead quiet, very still.  We did get rid of the heavy moon and now have cloudy skies.  I may have seen one flake of snow falling or it may have come off the roof, not sure.

The later HRRR's don't really show this being all that exciting, just some brush by down here and a lot of light stuff.

post-3232-0-37698100-1358828842_thumb.pn

3" new, snow picked up again past 20 minutes.  The NORLUN trough remains an elusive creature.  I keep looking at the Gray radar to see the initial signs of it, to no avail.  I guess just one or two of the last synoptic bands then its over for most, unless the South shore to Cape gets a bit of ocean enhancement .

Wintry appeal out there right now though. Dead quiet, very still.  We did get rid of the heavy moon and now have cloudy skies.  I may have seen one flake of snow falling or it may have come off the roof, not sure.

We're getting it pretty good here.

Brookline, MA:

23.2 / 20

NNW 2 mph

Light to occasionally moderate jack-squat is falling

Archived