joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 21/22 Storm Obs/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the 4 flakes I saw 20 minutes ago didn't replicate. Time for bed. Early clinic with very green students downtown.

Good night all... I was hoping for at least a fun nowcast, got some good laughs instead.

On to the weekend storm...

KBOS 7.0" since Jul 1 not including what fell today.

Snowfall summary for today so far:

Statement as of 11:18 PM EST on January 21, 2013

The following are unofficial observations taken during the past 24

hours for the storm that has been affecting our region. Appreciation

is extended to Highway departments... cooperative observers... Skywarn

spotters and media for these reports. This summary is also available

on our home Page at weather.Gov/Boston

********************storm total snowfall********************

Location storm total time/date comments 

snowfall of 

/inches/ measurement

Connecticut

... Tolland County... 

Tolland 1.1 913 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Coventry 1.0 950 PM 1/21 general public 

Massachusetts

... Barnstable County... 

Marstons Mills 2.0 1012 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Sandwich 1.6 958 PM 1/21 NWS employee 

... Bristol County... 

New Bedford 2.8 1013 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Somerset 2.8 1036 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Acushnet 2.0 1032 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Taunton 1.0 754 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Fairhaven 0.8 800 PM 1/21 ham radio 

South Dartmouth 0.5 809 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Dukes County... 

Edgartown 2.5 848 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Middlesex County... 

Framingham 0.6 1019 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Worcester County... 

Worcester 1.0 952 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Shrewsbury 0.7 1058 PM 1/21 public 

Rhode Island

... Bristol County... 

Warren 2.2 858 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Bristol 2.0 910 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Kent County... 

West Greenwich 1.3 849 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Newport County... 

Newport 4.1 1039 PM 1/21 ham radio 

Tiverton 1.2 810 PM 1/21 ham radio 

... Providence County... 

Pawtucket 2.0 842 PM 1/21 ham radio 

North Scituate 1.5 935 PM 1/21 law enforcement 

North Foster 1.0 1052 PM 1/21 coop observer 

Greenville 1.0 901 PM 1/21 general public 

... Washington County... 

Wakefield 5.0 1114 PM 1/21 ham radio 

South Kingstown 4.4 1006 PM 1/21 trained spotter 

westerly 4.0 1024 PM 1/21 spotter 

Charlestown 2.8 956 PM 1/21 trained spotter 

Emerging from lurker mode......standing outside my office with a package of weenie rolls, waving it toward the ocean as bait.....Wind doing a def shift and, for lack of a better term, it smells like snow.......@ South Portland fearing its about to set up about ten miles to my south.....back to lurker mode unless I jackpot before I go home in three hours.....robomaine. :weenie:  :lmao:

The next few hours I would think we should see some good banding setting up, and likely more than just one band as has been suggested by some guidance.  Very strong frotogenesis is just offshore and some decent 700-500 frontogenesis over the region.  The RAP does continue to suggest that the inverted trough will continue to be a factor, for at least the Cape region but more moisture could be thrown back into NE MA as well.  

I don't doubt that things are getting organized, or that there will be good banding. The problem is that it may be too little, too late unless you're a fish. I suspect that GYX is maintaining headlines in the interest of continuity, as there's still a slight chance that someone right at the coast gets into a very narrow band and they understandably don't want to be seen as flip-flopping. At this point I won't be surprised to wake up to nada here.

Didn't measure but I had 3 plus inches...the landscape looks great..snow is caked to all the trees...but my favorite part about snow is seeing the plowed and shoveled snow turn into piles and this snow was so light the piles are unimpressive because the snow didn't start accumulating to the pavement until 90 minutes after it had begun snowing.

latest 0z wrf btv caves and says sorry. not much. has . 50 jackpot NE of wells, maine along inland 100 yards of shore line. lol. with . 25-.50 spot several miles around the perimiter of that area. alligns norlun more NNW-SSE just SSE of well, maine .  gives NNE some snow showers most of nite (NH/MAINE) foothills like .1 worth.  doesn't give squat to NE mass/ bos /maybe .05 on cape. lol .

People just don't get it. Check out the comments on 7news FB when they showed the updated snowmap. 90 comments of complaining that meteorologists are a joke and suck at their job.

Well, unfortunately, people like Bouchard aren't paid 300K a year in a major market to be wrong, especially by 6 inches. It causes a lot of disruptions for everyone from schools to DOT crews. This is the real world we're talking about here.

It is a hard science, but that doesn't really cut it. THere were embarrassingly high totals forecasted by OCM's. The public does, and should, be able to take them seriously. And they should have a right to be angry

People just don't get it. Check out the comments on 7news FB when they showed the updated snowmap. 90 comments of complaining that meteorologists are a joke and suck at their job.

in all honestly half of those people think they are "showing off" by being ignorant, i.e half are acting like morons. (at least).  Now barry burbank kept saying 90% of us wouldn't see much (at noon forecast) and that some "could" get alot.  barry is a smart man.

Well, unfortunately, people like Bouchard aren't paid 300K a year in a major market to be wrong, especially by 6 inches. It causes a lot of disruptions for everyone from schools to DOT crews. This is the real world we're talking about here.

Well first off he wasn't off by 6", he had 4-7 for BOS so he was off 4" or 5".

And second, that is true, but meteorology isnt a perfect science and busts have happened multiple a year from the beginning of forecasting. It's one thing to say it caused havoc, another to call it "a joke" and to call the wx team there "complete idiots".  Completely uncalled for and ridiculous.

in all honestly half of those people think they are "showing off" by being ignorant, i.e half are acting like morons. (at least).  Now barry burbank kept saying 90% of us wouldn't see much (at noon forecast) and that some "could" get alot.  barry is a smart man.

Thank you. People are extremely ignorant. Another problem is the public hypes and contributes to the issue. WBZ posts a tweet about most areas getting an inch or 2 and it gets 1 retweet. WBZ posts a tweet about some areas getting 10-12 and it gets 15 retweets. Public sees what they want to see. In the WWA they mentioned heavy snow and people latched on it being a heavy snow event. There a lot of issues but some are impossible to fix with warnings and forecasts...the public sees what they want to see.

Well first off he wasn't off by 6", he had 4-7 for BOS so he was off 4" or 5".

And second, that is true, but meteorology isnt a perfect science and busts have happened multiple a year from the beginning of forecasting. It's one thing to say it caused havoc, another to call it "a joke" and to call the wx team there "complete idiots".  Completely uncalled for and ridiculous.

Yeah that's true. But these guys are paid big big money in a market like Boston. This is how 99% of the people watching the broadcasts view it. They haven't taken a Dynamic Meterology course, and they can't do a LaPlace transform, and they can't perform a Eulerian derivation of an air parcel. Most can't. It is a hard science, but in reality, people just want an accurate forecast.

Yeah that's true. But these guys are paid big big money in a market like Boston. This is how 99% of the people watching the broadcasts view it. They haven't taken a Dynamic Meterology course, and they can't do a LaPlace transform, and they can't perform a Eulerian derivation of an air parcel. Most can't. It is a hard science, but in reality, people just want an accurate forecast.

i agree that pete forecasting that much was "not smart" i mean look at what the mets on here had. did any say that much for bos? Nope. in norlun's you look at meso's. meso weren't screaming boston much at all. i think some intelligent criticism of pete is warranted but most of the morons on fb don't know what CAA or CAD mean and their just looking to act like m***holes.

It's true, and I get that side of the argument. But, that said, they don't perform miracles. I love Pete's Bouchards twitter headline.

"A better forecast? Child, please. No one's got God on Line 1."

That sums it up right there. He gets paid the big bucks, but that doesn't mean he has access to research from the future to give out better forecasts.

It's true, and I get that side of the argument. But, that said, they don't perform miracles. I love Pete's Bouchards twitter headline.

"A better forecast? Child, please. No one's got God on Line 1."

That sums it up right there. He gets paid the big bucks, but that doesn't mean he has access to research from the future to give out better forecasts.

Yeah, people get swept up in the media hype too, and that causes some of the angst. Christ, TWC called this a "deadly winter storm".... (Nevermind the fact that they named it!)

It is a hard science, but that doesn't really cut it. THere were embarrassingly high totals forecasted by OCM's. The public does, and should, be able to take them seriously. And they should have a right to be angry

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Where was your forecast? Grace us with your wisdom?

Whats your source for the $300K, I doubt ANYONE in the Boston market is making that outside of maybe Harvey Leonard. You are stuck in the 70's/80's/90's with those kind of pay figures.

You sound like you are just disgruntled that your backyard failed yet again. Weenie-ism at its finest,

Yes, if they are a degreed Met, they damn well have. Either way, I don't see your math references as relevant here. A basic understanding of what goes into dynamics is necessary but beyond that, it has nothing to do with forecasting. Understand QG and the terms in the 2 big equations and you have alot of what you need.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Where was your forecast? Grace us with your wisdom?

Whats your source for the $300K, I doubt ANYONE in the Boston market is making that outside of maybe Harvey Leonard. You are stuck in the 70's/80's/90's with those kind of pay figures.

Yes, if they are a degreed Met, they damn well have. Either way, I don't see your math references as relevant here. A basic understanding of what goes into dynamics is necessary but beyond that, it has nothing to do with forecasting. Understand QG and the terms in the 2 big equations and you have alot of what you need.

I'm not paid to deliver a forecast on TV (thank god...). I realize its a tough position.

He's very easily in that pay bracket considering he's chief meteorologist in a top 5 or 6 market.

Archived